It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Turns To Backup Strategy To Plug Well

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Contingency plan is latest sign that nothing is guaranteed

Since shortly after oil began spewing into the Gulf of Mexico two months ago, relief wells have been discussed as the ultimate solution, their success in permanently plugging the runaway well deemed a foregone conclusion. But BP and government officials are now talking about a long-term containment plan to pump the oil to an existing platform should the relief well effort fail. While such a failure is considered highly unlikely, the contingency plan is the latest sign that with this most vexing of engineering challenges — snuffing a gusher 5,000 feet down in the gulf — nothing is a sure thing.

So now we have it. The beginning of admission by BP Brass that the backup relief wells indeed now need a backup plan.

“But we always said we wanted to have backups for backups,” he added about the contingency plan, which was first revealed by Adm. Thad W. Allen of the Coast Guard, the national incident commander for the spill.

The ultimate solution is now just another in a series of possible solutions it seems.

The condition of the well at the point of interception of the relief wells is now cited as a concern for failure. Is there a solution?

[edit on 29-6-2010 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
i think so

i don't know what it is but i, for my own sanity, must continue to have hope for a remedy.

but what's the big concern, NOW, for "back-up" plans???
it would have been a hell of a lot better if they'd had back up plans with back up plans, in place, ready, and operable, 3 months ago

but i'm ranting

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Kinda like having a backup plan for going into a blackhole :s

I just freaking wish we could get some straight answers...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Nothing is a sure thing. As they said in the first quote you listed-

such a failure is considered highly unlikely

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
My solution would be to pull the entire man-made structure out of the ground. It is obvious that the oil wants to coagulate and congeal just as a wound on any living creature would.

I read an article that this oil is not a typical crude but something entirely different, at the time it was referred to as having high levels of Asphaltene.

Wiki definition Asphaltene

It is time to recognize that we reside on the surface of a living organism. If the organism is hurt it will either die or it will heal. As long as the 'needle' is stuck in the bloodstream of the organism then it will continue to bleed. Pull the needle out and it will naturally scab over.

Asphalt Volcano mounds article

Interestingly, if you get an injury when you are young oftentimes this is an area that will forever be sensitive and can often cause trouble in the future. The thought that an E.L.E. asteroid popped a hole in this region before makes me think we just hit a delicate and tender spot.

We cannot control or fix Nature, the natural processes of the Earth will continue with or without us; what I see here is Man preventing a Natural Process from unfolding because the loss of the well is not an option to the Greedy Entities we call BP.

I am sure later they will break the news to us all that the retrieved oil that they have been sucking up is useless and contaminated and that it will cost us all if we want to recycle it. Wow, another windfall for them! WooHooo! Let's go Yacht Sailing!

Pull the Plug now and Pray for a speedy recovery of our Mother.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

It's a gas well... natural gas wells contain the products of crude oil and vice versa. It's possible that the stream contains heavier components but since the well stream is flowing so easily, they have to flare copious quantities of natural gas, and they are collecting what is known as light sweet crude, I think you're way off base.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike6158

We all can agree that nothing is a sure thing. The problem is that the BP CEO himself positioned the relief wells as the Ultimate Solution.

British Petroleum CEO Tony Hayward admitted Sunday that, after many failed attempts at stopping the flow of oil or capping the well, the relief well expected to be operational in August is the best solution. "There's no doubt that the ultimate solution is a relief well, which is in August," Hayward said Sunday after touring the oil spill command center in Venice, Louisiana. "We have to be in a mindset of containment in the subsea, containment on the surface, and defending the shoreline in a very aggressive way over the next couple of months."

Source

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

It's the ultimate solution because that's the best solution out there. Top kill wasn't something that anyone that knows anything about the situation thought would work. It was doomed from the start. They were "forced" to attempt it and thankfully they were smart enough not to screw the wellbore up in the process. That would have been an order of magnitude increase in the severity of an already bad situation. Well control is not exactly new to the industry. They'll get it done.

It's not like the relief well effort can fail... it might get delayed (or as I've heard they might complete at least one of them in early July) but failure isn't likely unless the integrity of the well below the intercept point is bad. That's not something I would know and I'm skeptical that anyone could know.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike6158

It's a gas well... natural gas wells contain the products of crude oil and vice versa. It's possible that the stream contains heavier components but since the well stream is flowing so easily, they have to flare copious quantities of natural gas, and they are collecting what is known as light sweet crude, I think you're way off base.

Now it is a gas well? I missed that one, is this an official declaration of BP or our Government? From what I have read it appeared to me that they want to deny they were going for the gas, something to do with permits.

This article in the Los Angeles Times says this is not the sweet crude at all.
Analysis: Gulf leak may be harsher type of oil

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage

Originally posted by Mike6158

Now it is a gas well? I missed that one, is this an official declaration of BP or our Government? From what I have read it appeared to me that they want to deny they were going for the gas, something to do with permits.

This article in the Los Angeles Times says this is not the sweet crude at all.
Analysis: Gulf leak may be harsher type of oil

They were burning off the gas before and just collecting the oil. This happens at many wells. Saying "It will just scab over" is rediculous to be honest. What happens when it doesnt (which it wont)? Can we just insert the pipes again with the oil coming out under such high pressure (let me answer that one for you....no)? You saw what happened after just the top hat got blown off, the oil definately didnt conjeal and it definately didnt scab over what so ever. Instead it just increased the amount of oil in the water that wasnt being syphoned away.

To the op, I dont think that drilling will be the ultimate of ultimates. There are to many questions to me like how much pressure will the second well actually take off of the first rig? Will there need to be a third or even a fourth to see positive results? Is the seafloor going to support all of this? If the seafloor holds and the pressure decreases what then? Do we get a better cut on the pipe and a better fit on the top hat? Will BP actually be able to stop the pipe from leaking entirely? Like I said, this raises alot of questions to me and I dont think there is an ultimate of ultimates but rather a mix of ideas that need to be put into action just to stop the leak let alone clean up the gulf.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

I don't see why not. The Asphalt mounds off the coast of California show that a hole in the Earth's crust can become sealed permanently because of the elements involved.

I see the pipes as a forced opening, an opening begin kept open.

Our Mother is a Living Organism, she is bleeding, this is her essence. If we do nothing eventually the pipes will corrode away from the pressure and movement of her essence. Then there will just be a hole just as it should be and will be.

This is no longer a well head it is a Spout. I say pull the Spout Out!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I thought the relief wells were their ultimate backup plan. At least that was they way I interpreted it from what they said.

Just how many wells are there now in that immediate area? The one that blew, the two exploratory, and the two relief wells?

Also, tell me this? Why are their "efforts" so seemingly serial?

They slowleak trying one thing. That doesn't work. They take their sweet time dreaming up another. Waste more time preparing. That doesn't work. They waste a bunch of days scheming up something else. That doesn't work. And the days fly by.

What ever happened to parallel efforts? Trying or preparing for multiple things at once?

What the hell is going on? This is really beginning to smell more and more like intentional stalling.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

YES~~
*jumps up and down*

i have already thought about all that myself
and i agree
100%

i live in NM, too!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Shell Appomattox prospect in 2,200 meters (7,217 feet) of water in Mississippi Canyon blocks 391 and 392.

BP Thunderhorse Field is in Mississippi Canyon. PDQ is in 6,050' of water.

Chevron's Blind Faith is the company's deepest operated offshore production facility, located in 6,500 feet (1,981 m) of water.

There are more but I didn't take the time to look them up again. These happened to be easy to find

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Their ultimate plan is to find a way to get that oil without permanently sealing off the well.

Great plan actually.

-TOP SECRET-

Mr. President, sorry to inform you but our relief wells have failed to stop the leaking oil. We have a contingency plan in place now and have had sufficient time to prepare it. We are now certain we can cap this well and collect over 90% of the leaking oil and gas.

We will be making very sizable contributions to the democratic party and to your future campaign funds very soon..... Call me!"

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
They should intersect early next week and have the well full of concrete a week after that. They are only 90 feet away.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Stalling is exactly what it is, and for the purpose of saving money.
Rather than discontinuing the corexit, and letting the oil rise to the surface so they can clean it off, they are letting it stay underneath the sea to hide it.

This way, instead of skimming it off in a matter of months, it will slowly wash up on the shores for 10 to 15 years, and will be cheaper for them to clean up.

Anderson Cooper just said Greece is furious that BP is refusing their ships and help, and will talk to Washington about it later this week. The Greece oil people have said the only motivation for the corexit is to hide the oil, which is the opposite of what needs to be done. It needs to be gotten up to the surface, not sent further down, and kept down. Can't remove it that way. Greece is offering ships to help.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

That makes absolutely no sense... Every day they spend out there costs them money... it's in their best interest to get it plugged.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Right on schedule... Awesome. I was told the first week of July on 6/13. I haven't been able to speak to my contact to see where they are.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Yep... Saw that on Anderson cooper myself....

I was also a bit miffed to see how little time the local parosh presidents got with the vp today...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join