It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New map shows variations in Earth's gravity field

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

New map shows variations in Earth's gravity field

news.bbc.co.uk

Scientists have released what they say is one of the most precise maps of the Earth's gravity ever produced.

Known as a geoid, it essentially defines where the level surface is on our planet - it tells us which way is "up" and which way is "down".

It is drawn from delicate measurements made by Europe's Goce satellite, which flies so low it comes perilously close to falling out of the sky.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

This seems like a wonderful new view of our Earth and it just may be bale to explain the recent uptick in earthquakes. I wonder if there is going to be any profound new discoveries directly related to these new measurements. I guess time will only tell but at least it should provide much needed help into the study of plate tectonics. To me, this is very interesting that there are differences and I can only assume it has to do with the density of the planet in different areas. It almost looks like there is a "balance" there.

--airspoon

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I need some help here. I watched the video and read the article but it really doesn't explain anything about what this map shows. OP - you have obviously cracked the code on this. Could you please share this? For instance what do the various colors mean? And what is the implication of how these colors lay down?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
On your link page, I didn't see the pic you posted. Did you get it from someplace else? What do the color variations mean? I assume they mean the gravity is stronger in some places than others.. but which colors are stronger and which is weaker?

Sorry Sashromi. I didn't see your post asking the same thing.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
"I wonder if there is going to be any profound new discoveries directly related to these new measurements."

Yep certain places will be more susceptible to 20foot long Tungsten rods fired from space than others.

Seriously though what do the colours represent? It is quite bad of the BBC not to present a legend to inform us. Starred and flagged.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well now.. look at that..
I was subscribing to the theory that gravity was driven more by liquid than the so called inner core of the earth. If what I see is correct, the oceans have a higher gravity field and land masses have less.

But that's a premature guess at what the map really means.. trying to find the info on it now..

b

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Sorry guys, I had to get at least some sleep. As far as the picture goes, yes the colors correlate to different intensities of gravity. On the bottom of the pic (the very bottom), you should see a color bar used as a legend.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Saw the map....saw the colour bar....now which way is more and which is the less?
Is it graduated with more to the right?less on the left?
i imagine it has to do with the density of the crust?

[edit on 30-6-2010 by stirling]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Blue or "cold" is usally always less, while red or "hot" is usually always more.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Below you can see a much better version of that image, taken from the original source, ESA's site.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
this explains why europeans have led the world then in military campaigns .heavy worlders = stronger muscles and bones,,

jokeing i think

edit i probally read the key backwards dou

[edit on 6/30/2010 by dashar]

new topics

top topics

join