It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts Examine New Study On Potentially Devastating Quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Scientists Says Mid-South Would Be Ill-Prepared
Jim Wilkinson is the executive director of the Central U.S. Earthquake Consortium.

FAST FACTS:

Experts Voice Concern Regarding Possible New Madrid Quake
New Study Says Trembler Could Be Devastating
MidSouth Would Be Ill-Prepared For The Big One

(Memphis 6/282010) Buried beneath the Mississippi River, the New Madrid seismic zone has almost been like a sleeping giant, but MidSouth earthquake experts are keeping an eye on a just released study that says the New Madrid could awaken and produce a devastating trembler affecting parts of Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi.

LINK HERE

Unreal, I look at the comments section after the article and these idiots are not talking of earthquakes but spewing racist remarks.

Anyway, The article doesn't say much but I'd like to see more on UofM studies because they have a fantastic earthquake research center. Anyone who lives on or near the New Madrid fault should keep CERI's site available. They update within 5 minutes of all earthquakes on this faultline.

CERI Memphis

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Bachrk]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This information is very interesting and people in that area probably should pay attention to the recent earthquakes. They could be nothing, however, it is a great idea to stay informed.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and there has been a lot of earthquake preparedness meeting and trainings lately. No one here really believes that we could have a really big earthquake, if I bring it up, people just say things like "It has not been on the news yet".

Maybe the reason people are making those kinds of comments is that we have been exposed to constant fearmongering about terrorists and natural disasters, and they have just tuned out. I used to be that way, until I noticed the recent earthquakes on the Juan De Fuca plate off of Oregon.

Hope this thread will reach a few people, so they can be prepared.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A good point to keep in mind is that one of the reasons that they are closely watching this fault line is because they had no idea it existed -- not necessarily that they are preparing for an imminent major quake.

It's common sense that now that scientists know the possibility exists for a strong quake in this area to begin making preparations in case it should become more active.

It also makes sense that people living in any area that has the potential for natural disasters -- be it from volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. -- that they have a "what-if" plan in place.

new topics

join