It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Chides Girl, 12, for Wearing Mexico Shirt in School, Activist Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Teacher Chides Girl, 12, for Wearing Mexico Shirt in School, Activist Says

www.foxnews.com

When Coral Avilez went to school on June 11, the seventh-grader knew two things: She would get to watch Mexico play South Africa on TV that day, and she would get to wear the Mexico shirt she had bought while on vacation earlier in the year.

What the 12-year-old didn’t know was that the shirt would touch off an incident that would send her fleeing from class and spark an investigation into racial animosity.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

According to Martinez, Coral thought she was being asked a soccer question, and answered yes.

“Then what are you doing in my country?” the teacher asked, according to Martinez.

Stunned, the American-born student asked, “Why?”

“Because people like you make me pay higher taxes and make my insurance rate go up,” the teacher replied, according to Martinez.

This is really kind of unbelievable if you ask me. I don't think that I believe this Martinez fellow over the teacher, not to mention that we aren't even getting the teacher's side of the story (most likely due to possible criminals charges). I just couldn't see a white teacher making those comments to a youngster of a minority race. That basically amounts to suicide as it is completely not tolerated by society, even though it doesn't work the other way around. I am going to remain skeptical until I get more information or the other side of the story.

I believe it probably went something like this. A young girl wears a Mexico shirt to school (which she should be allowed to do) and due to the controversy surrounding the immigration issue, she was asked to remove it. She probably then got angry and started to claim that the teacher is racist. Due to possible criminal and/or civil charges, the teacher is not going to publicly comment and therefore can't defend herself.

It's sad but even the mere accusation of being racist (for whites and sometimes Asians or Arabs), can wreak havoc on your life and your freedom could very well be at risk, not to mention your fiscal livelihood. We all know that being white and accused of racism is just as bad as being accused of pedophilia.

Of course, if this did happen the way that the teen said it happened, then the teacher is obviously in the wrong. However, racism isn't brought up when kids are asked to remove their American flag t-shirts and if it is, it has absolutely no legs to stand on. Personally, I feel that kids should be able to wear whatever flag they wish.

All in all, it's just hard for me to believe that a teacher would be so blatant and so foolish in this day in age as to make those remarks. Unless the teacher was having a mental break-down, I couldn't imagine that she would be so foolish. On the other hand, it's not a stretch to think that the teen would make this stuff up for motives of her own, especially when the race card is often used with great success. With the information available, I'm going to remain skeptical as to the teen's claims.

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

That is blatant child abuse and racism all at once.

That teacher should be banned.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
You don't think a teacher could say such things ?? Then why did he/she apologize to the class as well as the media ?

Do you remember school at all ??

Alot of teachers use the classroom as a forum to voice their opinion's, because the whole class has to just sit there and listen.

In fact my fifth grade teacher introduced me to the term "soapbox", when he would take the time to rant and rave about whatever he didn't agree with in the world. But back then nobody went and cried to their parents, we didn't have civil rights groups itching to get into the action.

We could be grabbed or pushed by teachers and it would be no big deal, noaday's there would be " investigations" and this or that.

Kid's, but more likely parents are so politicaly correct and spineless pretty soon kids will be going to school online.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

So quick to judge, huh? When you actually read into this, it becomes more and more apparent that the child is most likely lying. She has everything to gain and in fact, fits into typical behavior while it is hard to believe that this would be the behavior of a teacher. The teacher would have everything to lose from doing this while the teenager would have everything to gain from lying about it. I wouldn't be so quick to judge if I were you.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
A certain someone is going to be failing a certain teacher's class now.

I can't really believe that it was for higher motives. I mean she is 12.
If she had made a stupid comment like that, I would believe it. But the teacher should know better at that age. Of course, like you said, no one is getting the teacher's side of the story.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

All I see is abuse from a teacher to a child.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

It didn't say what she apologized for, only that she did. Like I said in the OP, I believe that the teacher was in the wrong for even pointing out the t-shirt but it's hard to believe that the teacher would blurt out such remarks. It sounds like the typical race-card being used by a teenager. I'm not saying that the teacher couldn't have said those things, only that it would seem unlikely, while at the same time, it would seem likely that a teenager would make something like those comments up out of anger. Based on the information from this article, I'm going to have to remain skeptical that the teacher made those comments. Of course if further information comes out, I don't have a problem with reconsidering. I'm certainly not going to base my conclusion off of only one side of the story.

If the teacher did say those things, then she should be fired but I don't think she should be prosecuted or sued. As much as I don't agree with racism, it shouldn't be a crime.

Also, I do remember school and I remember teachers being racist towards me. This was a different story because I was white going to a predominantly black school. It is completely acceptable in the eyes of society to be racist against whites, however it is considered heinous for a white person to be racist and such things aren't tolerated on bit. Back in school, I used to be labeled a racist and punished for it, when I would call out racism against me. The point being that there are two standards and whites would have to be extremely dumb to display racism, especially a teacher.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

I have to agree that racism is a one-way street.

Whites can be abused and are.

Anyway, I still say sack that teacher.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Airspoon, we're a dying breed around here these days.

It seems ATS have been over-run with shills who can't think beyond the spin presented to them and specialize in knee jerk reactions. I've seriously scaled back my posts because of this.

I don't know what it is, but the past week has especially been full of thread derailers at every turn.

I agree with your analysis of this situation. Furthermore if people in this country get asked to remove shirts bearing the national flag, then it's only fair that all shirts with flags receive the same remarks.

Sad world we live in these days. I seriously hope when TSHTF the word 'race' and the people who use it to further their agenda and spread hate do not make it.

Someone give these people some kool-aid, they'll drink it before their brains even realize it's been handed to them.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HAILZLORDGODALMIGHTY(YHWH

If this post isn't the most cliched piece of garbage I have ever read, I don't know what is. An racist, uneducated, religious fanatic complaining about racism, hoping that nukes go off in cities and saying atheists have "fake predictions" while spouting religious nonsense.

Well done!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HAILZLORDGODALMIGHTY(YHWH

Let me sum up this guy's rant.

Wah

Is it just me, or does it seem like religious zealots are taking over ATS?

I mean theres always been a fair share, and I'm not trying to broad brush anyone. But as of late, there has been a huge influx in religious fanatics.

I guess, since this is the end of times as revelations says
they are all in a tizzy.

On topic, I think the comments were over board. But like has been mentioned, theres always 2 sides to a story.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join