It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if children were not brainwashed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
What if we stopped abusing all our children by teaching them everything we believe?

What if we left children to make up their own minds?

How about we all teach our children about every religion and belief in the world, and let them decide?

Then we may have a chance.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

How about we all teach our children about every religion and belief in the world, and let them decide?

I was with you up until this point. Some beliefs are more valid than others, sorry to say.

There are beliefs supported by evidence and then there are beliefs based on faith.

I honestly don't think children should be taught to believe anything that doesn't have a solid basis in reality. Now that doesn't mean we shouldn't expose children to religion just that, as you said, we shouldn't brainwash them into thinking these beliefs are necessarily valid.

I for one find religion fascinating but I don't like when it is asserted as fact by fundamentalists and the like. As fiction myth and religion work, they teach philosophy, tell interesting stories, give us insights into how people thought back when the myths were written. As truth, not so much, most of these beliefs don't have a basis in evidence they are faith based.

I just don't see the value in faith, okay sure it can be fun to believe in Santa and God and Fairies and unicorns and centaurs for a while but at some point reality sinks in (or it SHOULD).

So I do agree we can teach all views but I think we need to make sure that children understand that certain views are faith based and other ideas are evidence based and that the faith based ones are not equally valid with those based in reality.

Edit to Add: It can also be important for a child to know where their parents stand on an issue. Believe it or not most children WANT to base their opinions on those of the parents at least until they get all the information they need to make an informed decision. So unless a child pops out of their Mother's womb being able to form a reasoned argument as to why they disagree with their parent's Christian faith and would rather follow the 8 Fold path I think this idea of yours is a bit silly. Its an idealist idea and a quaint one but it just will never work.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Impossible and will never happen . We are brainwashed 99.99 % of the day . If we can't recognize it most of the time how could a child ever stand a chance ?

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

No, some beliefs are not more valid than others - that is what I am saying.

Leave children's minds open to judge for themselves.

Face it, none of us know the truth - let our children find out the truth without having parents forcing them into what their parents forced them into.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

The parents are only a fraction of the problem and in most cases the parents themselves suffer from years of brainwashing from all of the various outlets that we are exposed to on a daily bases .

Perhaps what we can teach is how to not allow your own desires to dictate what you believe but rather research and look at things objectively . Also , do not be afraid of different points of view or admitting when you are wrong .

We may not be able to stop the brainwashing but we can try to learn how to spot it .

Edit to add... When I say " you " I am not referring to anyone who has posted , I am simply speaking in general terms .

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Face it, none of us know the truth

But we do know the truth about some things. We know that diseases are primarily caused by germs. We know about gravity. We know how stars and planets form. We know how life evolved. We've got a good grasp on quite a few subjects all of these scientific conclusions are based on evidence.

Religious claims on the other hand are based on faith.

A claim that is based on faith and one that is based on evidence are not equally valid - not in the slightest. One is a baseless assertion that often ignores facts that directly contradict it (Creation story of the Bible for example). While the other is a solid conclusion drawn after a preponderance of the evidence and peer reviewed by others in the same field of study.

I'm not saying we should force children to believe one thing or another but that to pretend that faith claims that have no basis in reality are equally valid with ones backed by solid evidence is absurd.

What is brain washing about offering these children scientific facts and leaving out the faith based and nonsensical alternatives? Heck through the religious answers in so long as we make sure we're not lying to our children pretending religious nonsense that contradicts reality is equally valid with evidence based conclusions.

And as I stated before a child yearns to know their parent's stances on subjects. A child's mind is not capable of making well reasoned arguments for or against a viewpoint or belief and certainly would only be confused by being offered the dozens upon dozens of options available when it comes to religion. Can you imagine being six or seven years old and having your parent sit you down and explain Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Scientology, Rastafarian, Norse Myth, Greek Myth, Egyptian Myth, and non-belief to you and expect you, a MERE CHILD to figure it all out on your own. You gotta be kidding me, its too much for a child to handle.

Here is my stance, let the child explore religion on their own and only teach them things that have a basis in evidence and reality.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Exactly - teachers brainwash as well.

But home has the most influence on children.

Teach them, when they are very young, to have open minds, and even the worst teacher will not change that.

Which brings me to another subject - when our children are very young, we are careful about them, but when they get older, we give their brains over to who knows? Teachers - a lot are great but a lot are not.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

You are not implying that religion is the only brainwashing going on are you ?

I would say that religion is a small fraction of the total amount of brainwashing that goes on .

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Even when children are pushed towards one religion, most (if not all) question their beliefs at some point.

Myself for example :
I was raised Christian, though I only went to church the early years of my life. Eventually, my parents got tired of going because work is pressuring. I was told about Christ, but never really informed that well. When I got older, I read a bit of the bible and just decided it wasn't for me. Children will break through what they have been told.

Whenever I am asked about religion, I just say that I'll find out when I'm dead. No one really knows. Though only thing I feel gut-sure about is reincarnation and I discovered that on my own.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Well there's also anti-gay, racist type brainwashing as well but I think you'll find things like that are deeply rooted in religious belief. When was the last time you heard of an atheist teaching their children that gays ought to be killed?

Certainly I don't think religious brainwashing is the only kind but wherever you see other kinds of brainwashing at work you will usually find religion. That's no always true though, I'm sure there's plenty of liberal hippie atheists brainwashing their kids to think meat is murder and driving a big SUV might as well be strangling a Dolphin in its sleep

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

You are not implying that religion is the only brainwashing going on are you ?

I would say that religion is a small fraction of the total amount of brainwashing that goes on .

Religion has been brain washing the masses, ever since its inception. The opiate of the masses as Karl Marx called it.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
i heard about a couple, that diddnt give their baby a name.
they said, when the child is old enough, it should pick the name it wants itself.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I've opted for that approach as far as is possible with my eldest 2 but,with a Christian father(who has told them their mother will go to hell for having children outside of marriage),their peers and also the way the school system works,it's an uphill struggle to say the least.
Child no. 2 is now homeschooling which has opened her eyes alot,we are able to discuss different cultures and religions in a totally different way now.

I banned TV about 8 years ago but i allow DVD's....that has also helped!

My youngest 2 are growing up in a very different way though as it's homeschool all the way and they're not receiving hefty doses of religion inspired instruction(the youngest is only 2 though :lol
I feel it is very important that they evolve naturally and so does their father.

My Autistic 6 year old is inspired by nature,she has an affinity with animals especially.She knows her animals,birds and bugs by name and understands the circle of life.She is kind and gentle(with humans and animals alike),
She is not interested in the latest 'must haves',nor clothes.
She is at one with nature and has no fear of a 'possible' god,so her actions and reactions are her own,not born of the fear of damnation by an unknown and unseen 'god'(or fear of us for that matter,we don't hit our children as we believe that fear is not respect).

When she is ready to learn about human history and religions i will teach her and i fully expect her to be utterly confused and saddened.....kind of like when Mila's character goes internet surfing in The Fifth Elelment movie.....she will no doubt find it hard to understand how so many innocent people have died in the name of religion.
She is so innocent.
They all are.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLily

Wow, Lily,

You are very brave.

All love to you.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
If you left children to no influence beyond ensuring food and sanitation and good health...

I believe they would still grow along divergent lines of thought and ideas. There would be some that are more aggressive, some passive, some that would empower an icon or object...aka sun worship or moon worship based on observations of the effects of nature on day to day life.

There would be warriors and lovers, lovers of nature and lovers of the flesh.

After reaching adult hood, I think, unfortunately, that the group would not be too out of line with what we see in the world today. For that is the nature of man.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Wouldn't that be great - people free to pursue their own way in this world without ignorant people telling them what to do!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Thank you for the love!!

I grew up being told to 'tell the truth and shame the devil' etc etc.....it took me years of reading and soul searching to undo the damage,hence the approach i'm taking with my children

If they reach adulthood with sensitivity,understanding,compassion,the ability to see the whole picture and a love of life,i feel i will have given them the best that i possibly could.

Love to you too

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Please give me a deffinition of brainwashed or brainwashing.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryoko

I was raised in the same manner, and until I was confirmed, I went to my Catholic church every week. Let me repeat that, Catholic. The Catholic church may have a certain reputation, and if I may say so, they do nothing but push. Even while I was still an active member of the church, I questioned everything they threw at me in Sunday school. The repayed me by punishment, making me kneel and pray, like a good catholic boy. The catholic church does nothing but brainwash: pound everything out of you until only the faith remains. Needless to say, I am no longer a participating member in the church, for I believe I should be free to make my own decisions, and not blindly follow my parents' faith or political belief.

Sorry if this seems like a needles reply, I just had to get that off my chest

P.S. First post on ATS

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
What if we stopped abusing all our children by teaching them everything we believe?

What if we left children to make up their own minds?

Then we may have a chance.

You should not teach a child any sort of religion. Spirituality is something that people must discover on their own, without any sort of outside influence.

Sure you can educated them about different belief systems as I have with my children, but I would never make them learn anything about it if it did not suit their interests.

Secondly, it would be virtually impossible to teach a child ALL of the religions and belief systems in the world today. I'm almost 40 and am still learning about various sects of religion and other belief systems.

The best thing you can do is educate them the best you can, and if they want to discover religion, they'll do it on their own time, their own way.

~Keeper

top topics

join