It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preparing for the Worst, Saving Crops and More from Oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Good day, everyone. After thinking about the possibility of the oil spill ruining our country and then reading a thread dealing with the oil 'wiping out all of the North America', my brain got the old gears running.

There are reports of oil rain in Louisiana. If they're true and if a hurricane hits the coast and sends oil up over the Southern parts of the United States or Mexico, shouldn't someone invent some kind of system with tarp or anything to cover crops in the South? Furthermore, if the oil continues up the East coast, shouldn't the same oil-proofing system be used on the crops there too? I know it would take a lot of whatever material you would use to cover all the crops but it might be a good idea to cover up* just in case. So many people are working on stopping the spill (don't get me wrong, this is probably the MOST important thing to worry about), but maybe we're spending too much time on stopping it and not enough time on the 'what-if' possibilities? Instead of waiting for the oil to wipe out all of our crops, why not start planning and even developing something in case the worst case scenario happens?
Just in case you missed it, Worst Case Scenario being this: Oil being carried by way of hurricanes over land which might land on crops and other plants, ultimately killing them.

I guess it's more of a 'better safe than sorry' thing, and I'm thinking it would take a lot of rain to carry a significant amount of oil. Also, this is just a quick thought of a final tool to oil-proof crops, so many details of it are non existent right now.

*Actually, when I say "cover up" I really should specify that I mean 'be ready to cover up'. The system should probably have the ability to remove it and reuse it. Crops will need sunlight or artificial sunlight (which could be used under permanent fixtures).

Edit for Mods: Not sure if this is in the right forum, do your stuff mods! Sorry 'bout that...but thanks!

[edit on 6/29/2010 by philosearcher]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Well considering the ocean absorbs most of the sun's rays, thus cooling the earth, I'd say that sunlight might end up being too harsh for a lot of crops.
But its too soon to tell. I hope they clear up this mess soon.

join