It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North American Continent May Soon Be Left Uninhabitable!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaveThisWorld

This oil leak scenario is getting out of hand.

Where is the oil stored? Under the sea bed. Does oil naturally spill into the sea, year after year after year? Yes it does. Does it account for more oil then has already been sprayed into the sea now? Yes it does. Does nature do a fine job at removing oil? Yes it does.

Stop taking a story and taking it into all directions. Oil will disappear, without human intervention. This is just yet another ATS story that has been pulled out of proportion. Yes, it's wrong that it happened but not disastrous. You see birds with oil on there backs, yes but they will begin to learn to stay away from the oil, until it clears. Then, they still live. Same as the fish will do but surprise, surprise ladies and gentlemen, they are still alive. It's just a minor set back for the ocean's nothing the earth won't repair.

Just a massive inconvenience for us humans, again. This is the only reason you are all moaning.

You failed to read the OP. The problem isn't the oil. It's that Corexit 9500 stuff.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaveThisWorld

This oil leak scenario is getting out of hand.

Where is the oil stored? Under the sea bed. Does oil naturally spill into the sea, year after year after year? Yes it does. Does it account for more oil then has already been sprayed into the sea now? Yes it does. Does nature do a fine job at removing oil? Yes it does.

Stop taking a story and taking it into all directions. Oil will disappear, without human intervention. This is just yet another ATS story that has been pulled out of proportion. Yes, it's wrong that it happened but not disastrous. You see birds with oil on there backs, yes but they will begin to learn to stay away from the oil, until it clears. Then, they still live. Same as the fish will do but surprise, surprise ladies and gentlemen, they are still alive. It's just a minor set back for the ocean's nothing the earth won't repair.

Just a massive inconvenience for us humans, again. This is the only reason you are all moaning.

This thread is about the byproducts and dispersants being carried far inland, not the oil. And yes the ocean leaks millions of gallons each year, but try to put this in perspective. If EARTH leaks 300,000,000 gallons each year, it can and will be reabsorbed. It is quite minimal in comparison to the size of all the oceans.
In THIS event, 300,000,000 gallons have leaked into ONE SMALL GULF in 3 months, not to mention another 1,400,000+ gallons of a highly controversial and toxic oil byproduct dumped on top and a mile down. The gasses leaking from this 'accident' are creating even larger dead zones in the water and above it. This is the largest oil leak EVER. It far eclipses the Ixtoc spill in size and volume. People all along the gulf are getting sick from the airborne contaminants coming from the oil. They are not implying that the entire east coast will be covered in thick gunky oil.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
If all the oil spilled in the gulf so far were canned in 8 oz. cans and each American was given an equal amount,each person would receive FOUR cans of oil.

That is all 32 ozs.

Not a apocalyptic amount.

Stop the continuing fearmongering.

I haven't seen or heard so much ignorance since the oil spill in the Santa Barbara channel.

All the green retards said the ocean would never recover the sea life would not come back etc.

They of course were wrong.

The only thing that did happen was the oil companies punished the people of Santa Barbara county.

That is why the gas there is so damn expensive.

Look for 7 dollar a gallon gas by the end of the year.

Hmmm. 275,000,000 gallons divided by 275,000,000 people = 64 ouces, or 8 bottles of oil. Let's also add a small bottle of leaking LP gas, an ounce of corexit (on the counter with the top off), and a couple good breaths of pure benzene. That sounds about like what we're discussing here.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
Hey there chicken little, can you get off the soap box for a second.

Hey There Selective Reader, The OP is about COREXIT 9500.

Life in North America (or s. America, Europe, Asia, etc) will NOT be uninhabitable due to the oil spill. Sorry, it won't. It will be a nightmare to clean up, and there will be horrible damage to the local and semilocal ecosystem, but this isn't our first trip to the rodeo. There have been deep water oil spills previously and unfortunately this probably will not be the last one.

I think it is time to take a step back and rationally see what is going on.

I think it is time to wake up and smell the solvent. On second thought, all is fine, go back to sleep. They'll wake you when it is time to hear the next BP PR release.

How are we supposed to see what they are systematically hiding from us?

Do not misunderstand me, I think BP is a collective group of morons, as is our government for not having a plan in place for such an event before going forward with the drilling.

If you believe the above sentence then why are you buying into their version of events?

[edit on 29-6-2010 by searching4truth]

I believe that most on ATS want to keep the sky from falling. I am not one to induce panic but if there is information being withheld in the name of profits that may harm this mortal coil, then it is duty to help thy neighbor!

What is it that you want with your post? Either be part of the solution or be part of the problem, just stop waffling. If this does become a life altering disaster then I could not ask for better neighbors than most here on ATS.

I hope you are able to take my post and shove it in my face very soon as I have absolutely zero desire to do the same.

Regards,
thom

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

I'm pretty sure the first Gulf War oil spill caused by Sadaam is still considered the worst oil spill in history.

I still remember going to the IMAX to watch a show about it. I wonder how all the people around that area are doing today.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Calender
reply to post by OuttaTime

I'm pretty sure the first Gulf War oil spill caused by Sadaam is still considered the worst oil spill in history.

I still remember going to the IMAX to watch a show about it. I wonder how all the people around that area are doing today.

I'll have to look into that. I just remember them saying Ixtoc was like the 2nd worst disaster, and we've just about doubled them numbers. I also remember watching a couple vids about the Valdez spill and it was said there that even after 20 years the fishing business is still kinda bad, and there is still oil under rocks and in some areas. I don't remember the video names but it was fairly recent.
Thanks for the Gulf war reminder

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Yes, this spill is bad. But i suspect it is American's total lack of awareness of history or anythign outside the US that makes the hyperbole of this particular event possible.

The spill in the middle east referred to a few posts ago is a great example, as well as numerous spills around the world, in those pesky third world countries we dont give a ship about.

YES, this is bad. But put it in a little perspective. the Ixtoc spill was 3 million barrels REPORTED, and a dispersant was used then, too. The ocean can process this stuff. It take s along time, but it can.

And the Gulf has had growing dead zones it it for years from urban and agricultural run-off. This oil guhser is a catastrophe, and it isnt over yet, and lots of # is dying, but we dont KNOW it is ZOMG the WORST EVER!!!! just yet and it is best to pay attention to the actual science and not the hyperventilating hyperbole.

The talk of evacuation or the OP title North American Continent May Soon Be Left Uninhabitable is serious nonsense not based on any facts whatsoever.

Get some perspective.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Fill her up
Sorry Sir we are not allowed to pump your gas anymore
it has to do with State Comp. and Employee Health.
That,s OK sir you can fill your own tank and we will not be responsible for the toxins you breath!
So are you saying it is dangerous to pump gas into your car and your employer won't let you anymore?
No Sir we just are saying to continue to live in that beach house you will need to sign a waiver.
Oh I see I thought it had something to do with the Oil Spill.
No Sir Oil is Safe its just those detergents we use to clean it up that hurts you
it has not been refined yet so its save!
Ignore that dead fish it just got a little detergent on it!

kix

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Illuminatus!

I think there are millions of people living in Chernobyl RIGHT NOW, because, we adapt, and we survive, and nothing can harm us right?

These kind of comments about not worrying about the environment really make me sick, who cares if millions loose their jobs in the food industry, we can survive eating plastic...

Soylent Green anyone?

Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
At first I wondered if I was caught in some sort of insanity loop or internet echo chamber but I didn't have to read too far into the thread before seeing that some sharp ATS member had already deciphered that this article originated with Sorcha Faal.

Still...either way this says something about Sorcha Faal or CNN...

[edit on 29/6/2010 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
Yes, this spill is bad. But i suspect it is American's total lack of awareness of history or anythign outside the US that makes the hyperbole of this particular event possible.

The spill in the middle east referred to a few posts ago is a great example, as well as numerous spills around the world, in those pesky third world countries we dont give a ship about.

YES, this is bad. But put it in a little perspective. the Ixtoc spill was 3 million barrels REPORTED, and a dispersant was used then, too. The ocean can process this stuff. It take s along time, but it can.

And the Gulf has had growing dead zones it it for years from urban and agricultural run-off. This oil guhser is a catastrophe, and it isnt over yet, and lots of # is dying, but we dont KNOW it is ZOMG the WORST EVER!!!! just yet and it is best to pay attention to the actual science and not the hyperventilating hyperbole.

The talk of evacuation or the OP title North American Continent May Soon Be Left Uninhabitable is serious nonsense not based on any facts whatsoever.

Get some perspective.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by justadood]

Again, this is a thread on atmospheric effects of all the gasses, dispersants and such spreading inland from NATURAL rain patterns. Ixtoc spilled 140,000,000 barrels in 160 feet of water (where it was surface treated by 493 aerial missions) and was not in dead zones or treated a mile underwater and sprayed by nearly 1,500,000 gallons of CorExit. Ixtoc was not drilling the same pocket or at the same depth, which also accomodates different states of oil. Their leak was a sweet crude leak, while this leak is an abiotic gusher. Depending on which story you go by as a flow volume, the 'BP worst case scenario' would calculate to almost 300,000,000 gallons (not to include tens of billions of square feet of methane, benzene, hydrogen sulfate, and a host of other material). This is perhaps one reason why they are considering a 200 mile dead zone, but whatever gasses and smoke from the numerous fires exist, the gulf air current undeniably carries this inland and usually meets up with the east-to-west jet stream which carries it up throughout the northeast.
There have been numerous tropical storms and hurricane remnants that have gone clean up to canada or over Maine. Now, imagine those systems picking up the gulf vapors and gasses and carrying them along this path.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
At least we matured we went from screaming racist to it has to be a
Sorcha Faal press release.
I feel better knowing that its not a real life or death in gulf just a
Sorcha Faal story.
Sorcha Faal reports Obama Plays Golf Ignores Gulf!
Obama would never turn his back on Golf I mean Gulf!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
At first I wondered if I was caught in some sort of insanity loop or internet echo chamber but I didn't have to read too far into the thread before seeing that some sharp ATS member had already deciphered that this article originated with Sorcha Faal.

Still...either way this says something about Sorcha Faal or CNN...

[edit on 29/6/2010 by kosmicjack]

I'm aware of the aloof nature of Sorcha, and I was basing my discussion from this quote

Russian scientists are basing their apocalyptic destruction assessment due to BP’s use of millions of gallons of the chemical dispersal agent known as Corexit 9500

and

when combined with the heating Gulf of Mexico waters, its molecules will be able to “phase transition” from their present liquid to a gaseous state allowing them to be absorbed into clouds and allowing their release as “toxic rain” upon all of Eastern North America.

from this link.
and from the congress.org webpage.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Or the hurricane will go into Mexico causing a run for our borders!

ATS Thread

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX
You think this report is hoaxed too?

Acute Aquatic Toxicity Of Three Corexit Products: An Overview
Did you even bother to read your own source?

The 4-hour exposure is more reflective of exposures at sea because dilution and dispersion can reduce dispersants to non-detectable concentrations within hours. However, most regulatory agencies require standard 24- to 96-hour aquatic toxicity tests for dispersant use approval. Therefore, dispersants are evaluated using laboratory test results that show greater toxicity than is expected under field conditions.
(emphasis added)

That, coupled with the MSDS, and I'm pretty comfortable with my Gulf Coast property about now. Nothing to see here. Move along…

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
reply to post by Illuminatus!

Minor details.y'all better build some rafts asap.

Better yet, build an arc and put 1 of every animal on it and sail for 40 days and 40 nights with no food or water. Then write a book and call it "the day the oil rained after it exploded and we forgot to put 1 extra of every animal so we ate all the cows now theres no more moo - bible (chapter one)".

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColonelSF

Originally posted by soleprobe
This article about "a dire report prepared for President Medvedev by Russia’s Ministry of Natural Resources" was written by Sorcha Faal back in May 23 at
There is no verifiable source for the claims made in this article

Don't just jump to conclusions. Sorch faal didn't research this.....

The dispersal agent Corexit 9500 is a solvent originally developed by Exxon and now manufactured by the Nalco Holding Company of Naperville, Illinois that is four times more toxic than oil (oil is toxic at 11 ppm (parts per million), Corexit 9500 at only 2.61ppm).

Is the above all nonsense? NO! This is fact - scientific fact.

In a report written by Anita George-Ares and James R. Clark for Exxon Biomedical Sciences, Inc. titled “Acute Aquatic Toxicity of Three Corexit Products: An Overview” Corexit 9500 was found to be one of the most toxic dispersal agents ever developed. Even worse, according to this report, with higher water temperatures, like those now occurring in the Gulf of Mexico, its toxicity grows.

Is the above all nonsense? According to you all these people are idiots hoaxing all and sundry, right? Faal or no Faal this has been published by CNN. Ah, now you'll say CNN is part of the crappy MSM which has zero credibility and is hoaxing the public too!

I’m not jumping to conclusions about the toxicity of corexit…. I’m talking about credibility of the author. Faal doesn’t source the claims about the Russian scientists (their names). Faal says there's a report from the “Ministry of Natural Resources” but all Faal gives is a link to the Ministries website: enc.ex.ru...

Do you see any report on that website of “a dire report prepared for President Medvedev by Russian scientists?

You’re just talking about the toxicity of corexit… everybody knows that…. Nice try

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by BANANAMONTANA

Thank you for your most informative post, perhaps America should stop sending aid to those countries, and use the money to help pay for the oil leak.
I have a feeling BP's HQ is not actually in the UK anymore, as the Brit. government sold its shares years ago. (in the great Thatcher sell off)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

And the deadly chemicals too!!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BANANAMONTANA
The aid was not "free", shameful people that they are.

Only Mexico, offered the U.S. anything for free

At least 22 nations -- including Britain, where BP is based -- have offered oil-collecting skimmers, boom, technical experts and more to help the U.S. cope with the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. But their generosity comes with a price tag

The State Department confirmed that nearly every offer of equipment or expertise from a foreign government since the April 20 oil rig explosion would require the U.S. to reimburse that country.

Only Mexico, with wide swaths of poverty among its population, offered the U.S. anything for free. It said it would give the U.S. government some containment boom. BP separately purchased 13,780 feet of boom and two skimmers from Mexico in early May, according to the State Department.

"We're not disappointed," State Department spokesman Mark Toner said Friday. "We're quite pleased with the international offers of assistance. What we're concerned with right now is getting these types of assistance as they become available, as they are useful to our cleanup operations, getting them into action so they can clean up the Gulf."

The offers include:

The offers include:

Britain, America's closest ally and headquarters to London-based BP, said it would sell chemical dispersants and containment boom for use cleaning up the spill. London's mayor, Boris Johnson, has previously complained about what he called "buck-passing and name-calling" in the U.S. against BP.

Russia, which received $70.5 million in U.S. aid last year and $78 million in 2008, said it could send boom, oil containers and ships if the U.S. paid for them.

China offered containment boom for a price. When a major earthquake struck in northwest China in April, the U.S. quickly gave $100,000 for relief supplies, and after another major earthquake in southwestern China in 2008, the U.S. donated $500,000 through the U.S. embassy in Beijing to the Red Cross to buy and deliver emergency supplies there.

Congressional researchers estimate the U.S. spends roughly $30 million on foreign aid to China each year, including educational exchanges and health programs.

Israel, which receives roughly $3 billion in U.S. military aid and other assistance, also said it would send containment boom, if the U.S. paid for it.

France offered to send chemical dispersants and equipment to clean oil off birds but only for a price.

Kenya, which received more than $24 million in U.S. aid last year and $11 million in 2008 for humanitarian aid, offered to send fire boom but only if the Obama administration paid.

Vietnam offered a ship with oil-collecting sweep arms if the U.S. paid for it. The U.S. spent $102 million in all types of aid to Vietnam in 2008. When Typhoon Ketsana hit that country last fall, affecting 3 million people, the U.S. spent $100,000 on relief operations.

Romania made a "general offer of support" but asked the U.S. government for payment. After heavy rains sent in July 2008 sent four major rivers over their banks and killed five people, the U.S. gave $50,000 for emergency supplies.

Croatia offered to send technical experts and plans, for a price. The U.S. gave Croatia $50,000 to buy local firefighting equipment in 2007 when more than 800 wildfires broke out during an unusually hot and dry summer.

Not entirely true, since Brazil has already sent more than 20 technicians weeks ago. Considering that Brazil is the leading country in the world in deepwater oil drilling, I would take that as one of the most helpful help they can get, at least in terms of experienced technicians to discuss about possible solutions.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join