It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Moon Hole Photographed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hey ATS, I came across this article with a pretty neat picture of a large hole on the moon that could swallow a football field. Check it out.

New photos of the moon have revealed the most detailed views yet of a rare hole in the lunar surface — a pit large enough to swallow an entire football field whole.

High-resolution cameras aboard the Japanese Kaguya spacecraft first spotted the irregularly shaped chasm, located in Mare Ingenii on the moon’s southern hemisphere. Now, NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has taken a new, up-close photo of the moon pit from lunar orbit.

“Only three have been discovered thus far, so I believe it is safe to state that skylights (pits) are rare at the 100-meter scale,” Mark Robinson, principal investigator for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) at Arizona State University.

Mare Ingenii, also called the “sea of cleverness,” is best known for its prominent lunar swirls, which are highly reflective surface features that are associated with magnetic anomalies. The new images of the region from LROC show a giant pit measuring about 427 feet (130 meters) in diameter.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ab567717cb6d.jpg[/atsimg]
www.impactlab.com...-57375

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
There is allready a thread with this information

here u go www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up I searched "moon hole" and didn't see a thread. I am blind as a bat tho

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

yeah i tried moon hole also,

would not have known this except i noticed the thread.

The correct way to find the thread was "moon photographed"

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

It is interesting to see the different texture beneath the layer of icing on the cake. I wonder how thick that icing (moon dust top layer is). Judging by the
description of the length of the sinkhole/hole/pit it would be about 50 feet?
And just beneath that, there appears to be a COMPLETELY different strata.
Did any of the Apollo missions drill and take core samples of that?
There's Gold in Them There Hills! or should I say Mines?

top topics

join