It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Candidate for Governor Is Assassinated

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The big problem is, the amount of money involved.
Figures I saw a couple of years ago put it between $200 - $300 Billion. That money isn't stuffed in mattresses at the drug lord homes, it's laundered in offshore banks, many in the bahamas and caribbean.
Once laundered through those banks it is used for seed money for investment in other banks and businesses, as well as campaign money for US politicians through legitimate sources.
That's an awful lot of money getting into the economy to suddenly dry up!

Washington knows this....has done for many years, but still the big cartels continue to operate, buying up expensive aircraft for transportation and greasing the right palms to keep them untouchable. A few $Billion in the budget of agencies like the DEA, busting small timers gives the illusion that the government is fighting the drug crime, when in fact it is merely for looks and leaves the big players alone.

Remember not so long ago Obama was giving the Swiss a bad time over it's banking practices and demanding disclosure of US accounts, yet the offshore ones closer to home were left completely alone and out of the spotlight. There was, of course, a very good reason for that.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It just about serves right for anyone who promotes restrictions to end up like this. What is the difference if you take away some right you can take away another right?

When one decides to play god and forbids people to put drugs into their system, the peoples can forbid the decider to take another breath of air into their system. What is the phobia for DRUGS in the world? Punish those on drugs who act wrong, not pre-emptively everyone

I have faith in Mexico eventually legalizing all drugs, bringing peace and wealth to the country.

[edit on 6/29/2010 by above]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

Originally posted by Jakes51
...Why all the theatrics when we have a border patrol that is capable of policing the border and enforcing our immigration laws.

True, the Border Patrol is capable of enforcing immigration laws. However, when it come to an invasion of our soil by heavily armed guerrillas, aka savages, aka animals, they are ill-equipped and ill-trained. There are areas of our southern border which should be entirely under military protection. In my opinion, we should bring home our soldiers to protect our lands, rather than having them die to protect someone else's.

We have the capacity to train crack units of the border patrol if necessary in paramilitary tactics. If I remember correctly the School of the America's at Fort Bragg trained the original members of the Los Zetas when they were part of the Mexican military.

Why not send the border patrol for similar training proctored by the US Special Forces? You are correct that perhaps a military presence is required at some locations along the border. It has been reported that Mexican military have sporadically crossed the border at times. In that respect, a military presence is required to deter that kind of activity. As for bringing the armed forces home, many would agree with you on that. However, that is unlikely considering all the flash points present around the world.

Originally posted by WTFover

Originally posted by Jakes51
Perhaps the military could augment the efforts of the border patrol if needed, but not exclusively taken over by the military. There are civilians that live down there as well.

The problem with military "augmentation" of civilian law enforcement is simply, "rules of engagement". Our military is not trained in civilian law enforcement and the Border Patrol is not trained in military tactics. If one is placed in control of an area, it should be because they are trained, qualified and equipped to deal with any reasonably predicted problem and the other should be kept far away. Areas evidenced to have a high potential of armed incursions by cartel guerrillas should be left to the military. Such actions are inarguably a direct assault on our sovereignty and should be dealt with as such, by the military, rather than the Border Patrol who's hands are tied by an obligation to due process.

You make a lot of sense in the above quote. These cartel guerrillas you speak of are criminals who were once Mexican military and unfortunately received military training by the US, but I feel an elite unit of the Border Patrol trained by the Special Forces in counter insurgency operations is the best answer for the threat. In the meantime a small nimble military presence could be utilized to counter the threat. However, when it comes to Mexican military crossing the border which has happened, the military ought to engage them on sight. Rogue or not rogue, they have no business crossing the border. You bring up very good points about the confusion augmentation between civil law enforcement and the military could cause in border protection. That is certainly something to keep in mind.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

The Zetas are bad mofos,They've kidnapped many Women from areas like Brownsville,Texas. The way they're armed,I doubt any swat teams could stand toe to toe with them. You would need the Military to stop them.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Since this is all about supply and demand for drugs I wonder what would happen in the US if drug users were given the death penality for there illegal use of drugs.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigDaveJr
reply to post by Jakes51

The Zetas are bad mofos,They've kidnapped many Women from areas like Brownsville,Texas. The way they're armed,I doubt any swat teams could stand toe to toe with them. You would need the Military to stop them.

I am in agreement with you, and I have read about them. You are correct that a law enforcement style swat team would be hard pressed to deal with them. I was thinking about Homeland Security and DOD developing a program to train top Border Patrol agents for counter insurgency operations, intelligence gathering, explosives, and other special ops know how. However, in the meantime perhaps a special ops unit should be set aside for border operations until the advanced training initiatives for the Border Patrol could be completed. Point taken my friend, and I agree these guys are not a bunch of two-bit mountain boys.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Here is an in depth report by CNN about the Los Zetas and their capabilities and training. These guys are definitely a force to reckon with.

These guys may have been involved in the assassination of the governor in the OP. If they could get at this governor, what is to stop them from taking out the President of Mexico, judges, and high level military leaders? Mexico has got a monster on their hands. They have practically decimated local law enforcement and government.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Wow. Just wow.

Perhaps Alex Jones isn't exaggerating when he says Mexico is a FAILED STATE.

Rising up against that degree of corruption is an interesting prospect.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The cartels arent so brazen in the US, but their presence is just as large and they are moving billions and billions of dollars. I wouldnt be surprised if they have a major, but hidden, influence in our government. The coc aine in my area all comes cartels, and I dont mean it was just smuggled in to the US by them, the cartels are here in every state, not middle men but the actual mexican cartels, theyre probably in your city too. Drug dealers (not necessarily big ones) out number police by a lot in my city, literally, and its pretty nice area. Most people arent aware because its discreet and the people selling do not always fit your stereotypes, they can be regular kids or old men who live in big houses who'd you never think would go near drugs. Prohibition has to stop, the drug war will not be "won", the drug trade will only grow.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thanks for that video, Jakes51. Something like los zetas is what every country would need. The ultimate version of "we've had enough". Violence comes always as a natural answer, when governments powergames go too far.

[edit on 6/29/2010 by above]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Great post. The cartels are already at work here in the US and not just with drugs. The organization of mexican workers here in the US (transportation, fake IDs, contacts) is in large part tapped in some way by these same forces. (just look at the level of organization in the mexican worker marches here in US)Drug money is just a means to an end ect ect. Mexico is a manifestation of corruption that reaches far and wide on a level that would STAGER the mind.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Wow. Just wow.

Perhaps Alex Jones isn't exaggerating when he says Mexico is a FAILED STATE.

Rising up against that degree of corruption is an interesting prospect.

Well "they" whoever "they" have been for some time threatening american citizens in one way or another with the presence of this large group of non citizens in this country. Large marches, working for lower wages, bad mouthing the locals, violence, ect. Although your average worker is probably an ok guy just trying to make some bread his presence here is spun and posterboarded when deemed necessary to play mind games.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
A famous musician, Sergio "el Shaka" Vega, was killed in a similar fashion as the gubernatorial candidate and at about the same time. He got famous singing songs glamorizing the lifestyle of Mexico's drug barons. Very interesting, and it ties into to what we are discussing here.

What happens when Art imitates life in Mexico's brutal Drug War: Famous Mexican musician murdered

Mother always told when you play with fire you are bound to get burned.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Jakes51]

<< 1   >>

join