It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

524 Guard soldiers headed to Arizona-Mexico border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

524 Guard soldiers headed to Arizona-Mexico border

news.yahoo.com

Federal officials told Arizona's attorney general and a congresswoman Monday that 524 of the 1,200 National Guard troops headed to the U.S.-Mexico border will be deployed in the state by August or September.

U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and Attorney General Terry Goddard, both Democrats, met with Obama administration officials in Tucson along with dozens of law enforcement officials and community leaders. The federal officials included John Brennan, deputy national security adviser for homeland security.

Giffords spokesman C.J. Karamargin said the 524 troops are being trained for deploy
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Federal officials said today 524 of the 1,200 National Guard

troops will be deployed in Arizona by August or September.

The 524 troops are currently being trained for their deployment

along the border. 2 drone aircraft will joined them.

Another 224 troops will be deployed to California,

72 deployed to New Mexico,

and 250 to Texas.

The troops in Arizona will be assigned to entry identification teams

and deployed between ports of entry to help border patrol agents spot

illegal border crossers.

President Obama previously announced plans to send 1,200 troops to the

border, he asked Congress for $600 million to pay for 1,000 more

Border Patrol agents, 160 new federal immigration officers and two

unmanned aircraft.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-6-2010 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
What a joke...but it's ok "Mr. President" you send tens of thousands to defend the oil pipelines and territory that Dick and Bush conquered but a mere 1200 will do the trick against the border turf wars. Grow a spine Barack.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Sounds about the correct pace for government work... 2 months is totally logical, hell I'm in MN and it only takes 26 hours to drive to Elpaso.. I mean really they already had some people there putting up the dumb signs.. this is just a dog and pony show... they arn't even trying!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

dumb as in deep undergroun base??
2nd line

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Help is on the way..... ..... .... ... .. ..
In a couple of months.
I thought they were the Minutmen?
I'm sure they would be if they did'nt have days worth of red tape in the way.
I sure hope the US is never seriously invaded, we may never get the chance to deploy anything.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

Well it is a start, and it is about time. These personnel levels may prove
inadequate, but again it is better than None. I just hope they don't wait
until the armed cartels are running across The White House lawn to get
a clear picture of whats going on down there.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It is a start, I guess its better than nothing. Maybe they are going to see how much it cuts down on illegal border crossers in the area with the 524 troops there, when word gets over the Mexican side that we have troops waiting. But I am sure they will just find another way to get people, drugs, over and money and guns back over to mex.

I wonder if the gov ever thought about putting up an invisible fence, kinda like the microwave weapon/ device I've read about? Here is a thread about it.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
If the US wanted to crush the cartels, and secure the border and put an end to illegal immigration, they could and would have done so long ago.
Let's be honest now, the US is the worlds foremost military power in the history of man kind. There has never been any military power that comes close to the United States of America.
Add to this the incredible capabilities of it's intelligence agencies, and you have a formidable force.

They have satellites monitoring all sorts of things all over the world. They probably have real time coverage of most of the world simultaneously already.

It wouldn't be difficult to have a few satellites watching the US-Mexico border with boots on the ground ready to intercept drug smugglers and illegal immigrants crossing the border.

Hell guys, a small Greek company has developed technology to identify and track illegal immigrants and other unauthorized movements in the Aegean sea and on Aegean islands..you honestly think it's beyond the ability of the USA to secure it's own borders?

The technology and the means already exist, it's just a matter of will and interests.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I don't think it matters. The National Guard isn't armed nor do they have powers to arrest anyways. So what difference does it make?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Unless they are allowed to apprehend and use deadly force if fired upon, and this is continuous until a more tangible border can be in place, then this is useless. This is more-or-less a publicity stunt I think.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BLV12

That's a good point BLV12.

I wonder why they don't use this technology?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
He has no intentions of doing anything to help stop the flow of illegals. All he's doing is trying to shove a pacifier in the baby's mouth to stop it from crying so he can go about his business. This is the man that wants to grant amnesty to the millions that are already here. This is the man who paraded the president of Mexico in front of our congress and allowed him to address our congress and condemn one of our states. Anyone that falls for his show of "good intentions" deserves to have him for president. What a joke !

Edit for spelling

[edit on 6/29/2010 by chise61]

top topics

join