It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did we get here so fast?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is something that I've considered for a long time, and I thought I'd post a thread and get other ATS'ers views.

How the hell did we get to where we are now, technologically, so quickly?
What was the single most important discovery that took us from the Wright brothers getting a plane of the ground, to landing a man on the moon less than 70 years later?
When you consider the years prior to the Wright brothers, we were pretty much stuck in a rut, for hundreds of years the order of the day was a horse and cart!

I suppose that one of the most important components used to get us to the moon was the advent of computers, but again a simple numerator computer (the first "general purpose" computer), introduced in 1946 was a start,but what we had in the 1960's was not even close to the machine I'm typing this on!

I am in no way saying that we didn't go to the moon, I am just really curious to know what we developed in the years following the first man made flights, that allowed this massive leap in technological know how.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
i think the printing press was voted top invention of the 1000-1999 millenium. it shouldn't be that hard to track down the major inventions and philosophies.

now that i think of it all you'd need to do would be to go to a university website and look at the list of classes. that should answer exactly how we got here.

then of course the population boom added a lot more people to come up with inventions and to work on them.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by IvanObanion]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanObanion

What you say is true.........but what happened in 60 years, that let us fly a few feet from the ground........to 250k miles to the moon?

What was the single most important event/invention that allowed space travel?........within those 60 years.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
'___'

one more line

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by out west
'___'

one more line

The question was "How did we get here so fast?"

Not "What is out west on?"

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Simply look at gravity, the longer something falls the faster it gets until it can go no faster something will stop it, the rock.

We are not progressing, rather the opposite.

We are almost in complete freefall off the cliff, you can see it in what we are taught to believe is progression as you have just pointed out in this thread.

The more sophisticated the technology, the more the time you have to work.

The more advanced the weapons, the more that die painfully.

The more profits that are made, the more that starve.

It will reach a point that all of us would die if it were not stopped.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by Argyll

Simply look at gravity, the longer something falls the closer it reaches its top speed until something stops it, usually the rock.

We are almost in complete freefall off the cliff.

But that's not what I'm talking about!

I'm aware that mankind has put himself in peril over the last few decades, but what I want to know, is what singular discovery/invention allowed us to travel to the moon 60 odd years after we go our feet off the ground (to a significant degree)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by Argyll

Simply look at gravity, the longer something falls the closer it reaches its top speed until something stops it, usually the rock.

We are almost in complete freefall off the cliff.

But that's not what I'm talking about!

I'm aware that mankind has put himself in peril over the last few decades, but what I want to know, is what singular discovery/invention allowed us to travel to the moon 60 odd years after we go our feet off the ground (to a significant degree)

It would have to be a combination of the theories from Einstein, Gallileo and Newton combined with money.

Thats just my opinion but its a bit pin the tail on the donkey is it not? The money would mean nothing without us all using it, so we are all in it past and present.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I can see where your coming from, but 2 out of those 3 names have been around a lot longer than the 60 year time frame I'm referring to.

What the hell did we discover in those 60 years that propelled us to the moon?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I would think that the answer to your question is rocketry.

But to me, the larger question would be why has technology stalled in the 40 years since Apollo 11? With the exception of this wonderful communications/research tool we call the internet (or possibly information technology in general), all we have done since 1969 is refine and improve on existing tech. Even computer tech has consisted of little more than putting a LOT more transistors onto progressively more powerful and faster chips.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think it could be Nikola Tesla's "AND Logic Gate". The simplest form of electronic logic is diode logic. This allows AND and OR gates to be built, but not inverters, and so is an incomplete form of logic. Further, without some kind of amplification it is not possible to have such basic logic operations cascaded as required for more complex logic functions

It is a little known fact that Nikola Tesla is the acknowledged inventor of the electronic AND logic gate circuit, a critical element of every digital computer. In New York City in the mid 1890s Tesla's work was focused on the development of an independent remotely-controlled device—the "telautomaton." These efforts led him to devise methods for selectively activating any of several wireless receivers (he called this "the art of individualization") that involved multiple transmissions on separate frequencies. At the receiving end, each one of the individual frequency components had to be tuned in, in order for the receiver to respond—the AND logic function.

In June of 1899 Tesla established an experimental station at Colorado Springs where he continued his studies. Realizing the importance of his ground-breaking techniques he gave instructions upon his return to New York that patent applications be prepared and submitted. During the review period, the Patent Office told Tesla that another patent application for a similar concept had been received from Reginald Fessenden, and in 1902 a U.S. Patent Interference investigation was conducted concerning Tesla's wireless communications system. In the end, Tesla's claims were supported and he was granted protection under the "System of Signaling" and "Method of Signaling" patents—both describing the AND-gate circuit.

After World War II when computer hardware manufacturers attempted to patent digital logic gates in general, the U.S. Patent Office asserted Tesla's turn-of-the-century priority in their electrical implementation. These same patents also describe essential features of the spread-spectrum wireless communications techniques known as frequency-hopping and frequency-division multiplexing. A more detailed account, including a complete transcript of the Patent Interference proceedings, can be found in the book Nikola Tesla: Guided Weapons & Computer Technology.

www.tfcbooks.com...

[edit on 28-6-2010 by sourdiesel]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It's because we are on an exponential curve when it comes to our technological development. I often wondered this myself, take a look at an exponential curve in graph form and you will see what I'm talking about. We have hit the acceleration point where our advancement is a vertical line. If we don't blow eachother up the future wil be very cool to see.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I think it all boils down to

WORLD WAR II

yup,during the war the Nazis had better tanks, better aircraft, they wanted to invent an atomic bomb , but they came up with flying saucers instead they had weapons and technology that still haven't been revealed, after the war we brought as many of their scientists as we could could find to the US and Bammo ! We walked on the moon!

We beat them to the bomb and used it on the Japanese

and the Japanese had the last word because they invented Meth

so that's what happened WWII

World War II Tech

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Widout technology, i wouldn't be here all by myself thinking about how my first gf was a drug addict, and it's my fawlt, Zzzzzzzzomg.

Everyone = f#~!@+

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
hmm, single invention for space travel

teflon maybe?
ceramics?
rubber?
gps tracking systems?

i dunno those are pertty complex machines. would be hard to pinpoint one invention.

i suppose rocket propulsion would have to be at the top of the list. if you consider that to be one invention.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by IvanObanion]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
There is no credit to a one single invention which brought us to where we are now, in fact it isn't the inventions of mankind which have taken us down this short and very narrow road.

As a species, as a people, we are no more advanced than we have ever been. There are many examples from antiquity. There is the Antikythera mechanism for one. There are the stones at Puma Punku which cannot be cut by modern means. Just a few of so many that have already been discovered; even brain surgery (trepanation) was performed thousands of years ago.

I believe we have been de-evolving over the past 100 years, losing ourselves slowly and methodically. We are no longer able to recite as we once did. Our minds have become lost in the confusion of our technologies.

I also believe that I know what ails us as a people. There are many dimensions within the fabric of our Universe, each coinciding along side of each other. These other dimensions have life too, perhaps not life as we know it but it is still life. It is obvious there has been a breach from one dimension to our own. This breach is what we are experiencing; within each of us resides a part of that other side infiltrating us and feeding off of us. Its goal is to overcome this dimension and recreate its own here in this one. This is why we poison our waters. This is why we poison our bodies. This is why we poison our air. Soon we will poison the Earth itself until it becomes a dead planet--a Living Hell. (odd to have these two words as one meaning)

When the slaves of Babylon returned to Jerusalem they brought with them the knowledge of the Kabbalah. Spirits came forth; spirits from another place, another dimension. This knowledge and the books were so evil that King Solomon buried them under his temple, hidden from man until the temple was rediscovered by the Knights Templar. Then the magic incantations and the magik rituals began once more thus allowing the demons to move back into our realm.

In 1918 Alister Crowley used the Kabbalah and other such Solomon Seals to open a doorway. He brought forth Lam, an entity from the other side. This is the very picture of Lam drawn by Aleister in 1918.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fb0eb7a48de2.jpg[/atsimg]

The similarity of this entity and a Grey is uncanny.

The doorway is still opened and it is said that George Bush is the Grandson of Aleister Crowley. Here is a page on that very subject.
Is Barbara Bush the Daughter of Aleister Crowley?

and a more detailed version of the meeting with Pauline Pearce which included Jack Parsons (the founder and creator of JPL, Jet Propulsion Lab--NASA).
Story of Pauline Pearce, Barbara's mother

www.abovetopsecret.com... ...this is an ATS post from 2006 on the subject.

So our so-called advancements seem to coincide with NASA and something quite sinister. A blast from the past seems to have infiltrated mankind and is recreating our world into a more hospitable place for them.

I realize this may be drawing false conclusions but I recognize the possession of man in so many of our leaders. I recognize the patterns of Lies and Deceit that lay at the heart of a demon not a man, yet within us all. We are all either quite mad or quite possessed, not advanced!

This is how I see it and the Masons, our Entertainment Industry, and our Leaders are all playing out the Occult to open the floodgates of Hell on Earth.

I am not against Technology. I am against the path in which we take it. There have been so many wonderful teachers who have brought us Sciences and Knowledge, but the use of these 'breakthroughs' have been either hidden from Humanity or used in a Negative way against Humanity. Even our video games are sucking the brains of our children.

Are we lost yet?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Argyll
I am just really curious to know what we developed in the years following the first man made flights, that allowed this massive leap in technological know how.

This can be answered a lot of ways. Freedom is a big one. Peasant's are more likely to tell the lord to bug off than show them an invention. Open society is major. Being able to read the latest published results is something the east is still struggling with. Tolerance, can't be overlooked. Daydreamers used to be frowned apon as loafers, now having an idea can be socially acceptable. Even Tradition has an overwhelming influence, as Descarte articulated the scientific method, and the Wright Brothers used that very method of query into the methods of query themselves.

Maybe the Wright Brothers are a better starting point for vox populi emotional attachment to the scientific method. Remember they had to invent new ways to test wings. New ways to ask questions. Maybe that started it.

But we can't overlook the invention of electricity. You know. As far as single most significant discoveries of all time, major turning points of tech, go.

There is one thing though. "we developed in the years following the first man made flights" that might have "allowed this massive leap in technological know how." That would be some of the new forms of Mathematical analysis. Well . . . new since we invented flight, anyway. Functional Analysis springs to mind, as in the analysis of mathematical function. To sum it up in seven words?

The popularization of rigorously researched reproducable results.

But Popular mechanics has lost its mighty circulation.

Mr Wizard is no longer on the television.

Calculators add, people don't

wait

stop the pressess.
I can't beleive ... how droll.

I forgot to mention Howard Huges.

When Howard Huges enters flight we have biplanes.
When he is done he has launched the first global TV satallite.
Nothing like reinvesting 90% of profits into R&D to really build up a tech.

David Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

In 1918 Alister Crowley used the Kabbalah and other such Solomon Seals to open a doorway. He brought forth Lam, an entity from the other side. This is the very picture of Lam drawn by Aleister in 1918.

i read some of his stuff once. was a discourse on yoga. the first page was extremely well written and thought provoking. it got a little boring once he ran out of good points and kept going anyway.

i'm not sure that you shoudl give this man too much credit. he was a classic case of sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.

Spinal Tap says it Best

man, they cut it too short. he's supposed to say. "as long as i have sex and drugs, i can do without a rock n roll"

[edit on 29-6-2010 by IvanObanion]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

It was not just WW2.During that period the industrialized countries of the world were at war constantly.

WW1 gave us some technological advance and of course WW2 allowed us to further advanced but we had to continue with war to keep advancing.

Look at what advances have been made since 911 happened.

War is big business because the government subsidizes it and all the research.

That is why there will always be war.

It is good for society.

top topics

join