It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gen. McChrystal to retire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Gen. McChrystal to retire

news.blogs.cnn.com

General Stanley McChrystal has told the Army he will retire, U.S. Army spokesman Gary Tallman says.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I am really upset that Gen McChrystal was relieved of his duties in Afghanistan for using his freedom of speach. He didn't seem to pander to the politicians and just seemed to do what was right for the troops in Afghanistan. I hope he makes a ton of money on the book I'm sure he'll be writing soon.

news.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
His military career was over the day rolling stone came out in print.
Ita is a shame we loose a good soldier, but i think he wanted out because he opposes a second (or third) front (iran).
knowing there is a war brewing with a foe he cannot hope to defeat under the present circumstances,(Iran) hes bowing out while he can...
The US doesnt have sufficient forces(ground) to initiate a campaign inside iran.
Even with isreali help it will not bode well for the troops if iran gets the axe at this juncture.
There are far too many ways they(the US forces)can be hurt badly by the iranis...
These guys used human wave attacks against saddam....caused heavy casualties on both sides.....we cannot bleed our forces down much more than they are bled already without the starin showing up in places the neo cons dont expect.
I am reminded of hitlers actions on attacking th soviet union in ww2....
It was his biggest error......
the US faces a similar situation. too much too far....against too many

[edit on 28-6-2010 by stirling]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

We would absolutely dominate Iran if it came to armed conflict. there would be no competition.

Hitler's situation in WW2 is drastically different from the American one now. Germany was fighting very strong nations, and fighting in unfavorable conditions (the russian winter was a lifesaver for the russian forces).

The russians were far more numerous, dangerous, and accustomed to fighting in their conditions (the harsh winters). Germany's tanks would freeze in the cold, they had to keep engines running so that they wouldn't freeze up.

Contrast that to Iran, where American could launch a few missiles, and attack military installations from the air. No harsh winter to stop our tanks, no endless hordes of iranians (and besides that, charging into battle isn't exactly the smartest tactic in modern warfare), and no long drawn out battles to wear us down. The war would be over within a week, maybe a bit longer.

This is of course ignoring any international support Iran would pull. It depends on many things, but the US will never be "beaten" by Iran. To believe such a thing is utterly silly. The General is retiring because of his remarks if I'm not mistaken, not because he fears those deadly iranians and their endless armies :-/

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The American military is NOT stretched too thin as many (civilians) people seem to think, I'm sure TPTB would like the world to think we are, but I assure you we are not.
Thousands of men and women join the military everyday, just as thousands are graduating from boot camp and thousands are retiring, like our outspoken Gen. McChrystal. please don't think the same men and women have been fighting these wars for almost 10 years.
We may have to shuffle some soldiers and sailors around different bases from around the world and make small policy changes in our "World Police" force but strategicly everyone seems to forget one of our strongest forces that would play a major role in any conflict with Iran...our Navy. Most people who have never been in the military just don't grasp the power of our own. One carrier group could effectively destroy the whole of Iran and the Iranians know this...no "boots on the ground", just ships, missiles and jets.
Now add Syria, Hezbolla and the ever questionable Russia and China to the equation, well THAT is when we'd be stretched too thin my friends. It's also why we most likely won't get into a full scale shooting war with Iran...just posturing...no more...no less.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by IOfTheStorm]

new topics

top topics

join