It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Terrifying and Little Known Prehistoric Monsters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
15 amazing prehistoric beast you may or may not have heard of, some I was already familiar with, but quite a few were unknown to me.

Hope you enjoy discovering these animals as much as i did.

15. Estemmenosuchus

They don’t make animals like this anymore. Estemmenosuchus is one of the most bizarre-looking prehistoric monsters; it belonged to the group of the dinocephalians, and despite their dinosaur-like appearance, they were actually more closely related to mammals… including us! Estemmenosuchus was the size of a rhinoceros, and it too had a horn on its nose, but it also had antler-like horns on the top of its head, and strange, bony protrusions coming out of its cheeks; no one knows what they were used for. It also had a set of monstrous, sharp teeth, but scientists aren’t sure about its food preferences. Personally, I believe this thing was big and scary enough to eat anything it wanted. Fossil remains of Estemmenosuchus have been found in Russia; it lived in the Permian period, long before the appearance of dinosaurs.

Source

Pretty neat creators aren't they?

Personally i thought the Azhdarchid was one of the neatest, sure am glad those dont exist anymore haha.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites, please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, and your opinion on the information as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject. Please do not make an extensive thread out of external content alone.

Thank you.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Wow! When God is in the mood... ;-)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Do you know that those flying animals could not fly in today's atmosphere pressures.

The bible version of ancient history has a shell of water around the earth which would have increased the air pressure to double of what it is today allowing the large flying creatures to stay air borne.

Also the greater air pressure would have allowed creatures and people to heal faster as their bodies were flooded with oxygen.

Reptiles grow until they die and in the ancient times before the water canopy fell the vegetation grew larger for the ability of larger animals to eat much food with out depleting the earth.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Holy mackeral!
How interesting!
I guess there have been some real doozies over the last millions of years!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Cool post Alaskan Man!
I always enjoy a peer into prehistoric times and the creatures that roamed then. The scale of things is so interesting. I like the pulmonoscorpius pic!

Peace

[edit on 28-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Awesome!
Got any more?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
frightening stuff, for sure. i could not help but wonder, how many of these sorts of creatures are still tucked away in some forsaken corner of this planet, and have given rise to any manner of folklore, from dragons to nessie to mokele-membe to bigfoot (that giant ape creature certainly has a yeti vibe to it).

cryptozoology is not without its merits.

fun stuff. thanks OP.

PS- how different would human existance be if we had to reckon with beasts of such stature on a daily basis?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mythos

how different would human existance be if we had to reckon with beasts of such stature on a daily basis?

From predator to prey....I bet we would all be able to run a lot faster than now!

And our senses would surely be heightened....all the time.

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Good find also everything grew bigger plants humans animals..

Makes me wonder about the giant humans of lore, if everything else was so big. I know, I know supposedly there were no humans then but I'm just wondering.

Peace

[edit on 28-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Good find also everything grew bigger plants humans animals..

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Awesome thread, if ever there was evidence of Earth's varying gravity through time, there it is!

My favourite is the Gigantopithecus just so cool, I would love if there were some of these guys still around somewhere hiding out.

Edit just to represent the Emerald Isle! The Great Irish Elk

farm3.static.flickr.com...

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

in addition to heightened agility and senses, we may have developed some specialized weapons.

would we have hunted such beasts to extinction as we tried to with our modern day predators (ie the wolf, big cats, etc.)

i really do think that the myths concerning dragon hunting parties forging into the depths of the forests hold some validity. perhaps they truly were reckoning with some rather large and toothy beasts left over from an earlier age.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Number 3 the scorpion.

Watch this.

Giant Ancient Sea Scorpion

Cool huh...

Nice thread

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Great thread!

I really liked the huge snake
and scorpion creature
those are my favorite pets. Now if a huge spider was around I would probably die of heart failure.

It always amazed me how big things were back then compared to now.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

cool!

i found the giant do-do like bird to be rather disturbing!
the terror bird - GOOD name!
and the giant scorpion - that goes without saying...YIKES

big crocs are also hard to think about but one that i love to think about, and i don't know why, is the megalodon. it's hard to imagine a shark that big! but WOW.

one that also fascinates me is the Giant Sloth!

why so big?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I love threads like these. Truly amazing creatures. Makes you wonder what will rise to power after the humans have been long gone? My guess is Giant roaches

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Good thread AM.

By the way, the picture of the Estemmenosuchus is actually that of my first wife.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Here's another one - "razor jaws" - hyenadon horridus.

hyenadon horridus

Imagine a hyena (well, it wasn't a true hyena but a very hyena-like member of a now extinct carnivora order, the percrocutids) with a head the size of a Kodiak bear's! Dinocrocuta Gigantea was heavier than a big male lion and had a head as big as the biggest bears.

Here's a dinocrocuta skull cast shown next to a real Kodiak bear skull.

Dinocrocuta gigantea skull

Dinocrocuta skull shown next to that of a lion (lion is on the left):

Dinocrocuta skull

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Don't be so sure about Spinosaurus being the largest predator. T-Rex Imperitor may be larger. Only a jaw bone has been found but it's 20% larger than any T-Rex found before. Also it's doubtful Spinosaurus would know how to break the neck of another in a fight like the scene in the Jurassic Park III movie.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Sargoth]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
A lot of old favorites here (I love the gorgonopsids and the terror cranes and spinosaurus and the terror pigs, too.) I hadn't seen some of the others -- thanks for a great find! Got any more?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join