It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Bust 10 Alleged Russian Spies in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

WASHINGTON -- Ten Russian intelligence officers have been arrested for allegedly serving as illegal agents of the Russian government in the United States, the Justice Department announced Monday.

Eight of 10 were arrested Sunday for allegedly carrying out long-term, deep cover assignments in the United States on behalf of Russia.

Two others were arrested for allegedly participating in the same Russian intelligence program within the United States.

Link

Not surprising at all to hear this, but of course people will come in and say that this is a set up by the government.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
would not be surprised if American spies get busted in Russia either

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
would not be surprised if American spies get busted in Russia either

What does that have to do with anything?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
he makes a good point. the Russia will be angry about this. so they will find US spies and deport them for spying.

and next time check the search to see if some one has not put the story on before you. you are the 3rd one with this story,

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
he makes a good point. the Russia will be angry about this. so they will find US spies and deport them for spying.

and next time check the search to see if some one has not put the story on before you. you are the 3rd one with this story,

First, This isn't about US spies.. this is about RUSSIAN spies. Second, I did look and didn't find anything so don't talk to me like a mod.

la2

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
You cant have looked because the story was put here twice minuites after it broke.

Secondly, this has everything to do with US agents working under cover in Russia, because isnt it the done thing to send them back when you find them, not parade the story on CNN and Fox for the world to see?

Russia will feel embarassed and angry, because you can bet that in the past spies have been sent home, this will come as a slap across Russian faces at a time when the US needs Russian co-operation.

Why does evry administration have to antagonise Russia, this could blow up into a very difficult situation very quickly, and while Iran is still an issue Russia is a needed ally for the White House

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2

Secondly, this has everything to do with US agents working under cover in Russia, because isnt it the done thing to send them back when you find them, not parade the story on CNN and Fox for the world to see?

Russia will feel embarassed and angry, because you can bet that in the past spies have been sent home, this will come as a slap across Russian faces at a time when the US needs Russian co-operation.

Why does evry administration have to antagonise Russia, this could blow up into a very difficult situation very quickly, and while Iran is still an issue Russia is a needed ally for the White House

Whats wrong with people on ats? Does the title of this thread say anything about US spies?

la2

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
OK here's a tip, when posting things on here, remember that people will read it and comment on the consequences of the issue, if the story was china sending the US ambassador home, people would be talking about the chinese ambassador in the US and if he'd be sent home too, get me?

The reason why we are commenting on US spies, is the fact that Russia will possibly have already set in motion a plan to start picking up US spies that it knows are in the country.

Dont look at the small picture, look at the wider picture, then you'll do better on here.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2

OK here's a tip, when posting things on here, remember that people will read it and comment on the consequences of the issue, if the story was china sending the US ambassador home, people would be talking about the chinese ambassador in the US and if he'd be sent home too, get me?

The reason why we are commenting on US spies, is the fact that Russia will possibly have already set in motion a plan to start picking up US spies that it knows are in the country.

Dont look at the small picture, look at the wider picture, then you'll do better on here.

Heres a tip, don't act as if your better then others and call me old fashion but i like to talk about the subject in the title and not find a way were we can turn this thread into a anti-america thread.

la2

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm talking to you simply as someone who's been doing this 5 years, I come here to read what others think.

Its not 'anti-american' to think that Russia will react to this, you dont arrest spies and tell the world without expecting retaliation, thats why thoughts went to US spies, instead of thinking everyone is 'anti-american' as you americans love to do, see as people actually looking forward and thinking that this will have a detrimental effect on US/Russia relations, thats what I thought when I found out.

Sorry if you thought for a second I was talking down to you, but man, chill out and just see where the comments lead, it might seem like its not about the part of it that you want to talk about but it is.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2

I'm talking to you simply as someone who's been doing this 5 years, I come here to read what others think.

Its not 'anti-american' to think that Russia will react to this, you dont arrest spies and tell the world without expecting retaliation, thats why thoughts went to US spies, instead of thinking everyone is 'anti-american' as you americans love to do, see as people actually looking forward and thinking that this will have a detrimental effect on US/Russia relations, thats what I thought when I found out.

Sorry if you thought for a second I was talking down to you, but man, chill out and just see where the comments lead, it might seem like its not about the part of it that you want to talk about but it is.

I could care less if you were doing this for 50 years.

I've seen countless thread start out like this one then move towards the "If the US did it" towards bash america thread.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Alien Mind]

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Alien Mind]

la2

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well there are two things to remember, the US isnt the most popular country in the world lately, and that has an effect on how people see things, i'm not saying its right, but its a viewpoint many people around the world share.

Instead of getting all nasty about it, talk about it, tell your opinion from the US point of view, dont be surprised if you get pulled up on it and called bias, but just tell it as you see it.

Obama has been going on about a company called British Petroleum, a name unused for almost 20 years, I dont then go on the oil spill threads and accuse everyone of being anti-british.

Most people come here to learn, so just give your opinion, I know thats what i'm here for, everyone elses opinions.

Just please, lose the attitude, because it will get in the way of the thoughts you want to put across, you are obviously passionate about your country, just remember there are hundreds of other countries out there with just as passionate populations.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Alien Mind

The poster is absolutely right. Now that these spies have been arrested, I fully expect Russia to nab some Americans and trade them. It's a fact that each country is spying on the other.

You seem really uptight about people bashing your beloved country. But the poster was not bashing America, simply stating the truth.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Interesting story OP. I wonder if we will get told exactly what the info was that they were sending home or whether we'll just get some cover story?

When I read stories such as this, i'm always thinking, "i wonder whats really going on behind the scenes"?

or is it just as simple as the media portrays......?

g

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
Interesting story OP. I wonder if we will get told exactly what the info was that they were sending home or whether we'll just get some cover story?

When I read stories such as this, i'm always thinking, "i wonder whats really going on behind the scenes"?

or is it just as simple as the media portrays......?

g

I'm sure there is more to it, They just don't want to release all the info just yet.

la2

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Under the Geneva convention they are not allowed to, plus isnt Obama stuck in a room with the Russian President in Toronto right now, do you really want a weak President to have to deal with this face to face infront of the G8?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
ok, so i havent seen anything anti american, im from the good ol USA, all i have seen is a good example of cause and effect. i read this story on yahoo a few moments ago and well they give some examples of the charges against the accused. The accused all seem possibly guilty with maybe the exception of...Vicky Pelaez

Pelaez is a Peruvian-born reporter and editor for El Diario/La Prensa, one of the country's best-known Spanish-language newspapers, for several years. She is best known for her opinion columns, in which she often criticizes the U.S. government

news.yahoo.com...

seems a little strange to me that she would be a russian spy, but who am i to know...
thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Lets throw a little twist to it.

The Russian spies knew America was getting close so they let some take the fall to take the heat of the rest remaining so they could still acomplish the bigger picture

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by la2

This is a good point. The timing seems really bad when the US (Israel) needs Russian support for sanctions against Iran. Not that I support those sanctions, just saying.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I am suprised the only found 10. Surely there are way more in America?

new topics

top topics

join