It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins interested in setting up 'atheist free school'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Teaching we have no hard proof of God is fact.

That's what most atheists assert, very few would be so bold as to claim there definitely isn't a God. Many make claims on the existence of a specific God like Zeus or Yahweh though.

Teaching God does not exist is a theory.

You're clearly confused about what the word theory means. Teaching God definitely does not exist is not a theory, its an arrogant assertion. A theory is a unifying framework for a group of facts or laws within a given field of study, it can also refer to the field itself as in Music Theory or Atomic Theory.

It could also be said the idea that God does exist is a theory.

Nope. The idea that a God exists not a theory. However the statement that a God DOES exist (not just the idea of one) is a baseless assertion just like the statement that a God definitely does not exist. As I said though the vast majority of atheists do not claim absolute certainly about the non-existence of God.

What you are attacking here is a straw man of atheism. Indeed if you had read the OP you'd see that Dawkins wants to teach the kids skepticism and an evidence based approach NOT absolute certainty about the existence or non-existence of God.

I don't hate using the internet meme, your post is indeed FAIL.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I t starts to get very easy to discredit a god once an individual attributes properties to that said god. Say, "MY GOD IS OMNIBENEVOLENT! !" Well that god certainly can exist until.... "My GOD CREATED EVERYTHING!!!" and "MY GOD IS ALL-POWERFUL!" Then you run into logical problems because the first trait cannot follow in the world seen and still be compatible with the former descriptions also.

Basically if people stopped claiming to know a "god" and just accepted that there is no clear proof on exactly what a god would entail there would be less problems.

<< 1   >>

join