It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Air Force Considers B-1 Bomber Fleet's Retirement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

U.S. Air Force Considers B-1 Bomber Fleet's Retirement

news.yahoo.com

Nixon launched it, Carter killed it and Reagan resurrected it. In its infancy, the Air Force's B-1 bomber was a quick and dirty military metaphor - Republicans wanted to buy weapons to defend the nation from the Soviet Union, and Democrats didn't. Now it could become a different kind of symbol: the Air Force is thinking of retiring its total 66-plane B-1 fleet to hit budget targets set by Defense Secretary Robert Gates. Top Air Force officials met behind closed doors late last week to determine if permanently grounding the B-1 fleet makes sense.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think the B-1 is probably being replaced by unmanned drones. It is kind of a toss up between conventional bombers and drones when it comes to accidentally killing civilians. The government will probably stick with drones because it is eaiser to explain away accidents if the operator is a thousand miles away from the accident.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Put them in the bone yard and start diverting that money into infrastructure projects that put people back to work.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
wow. that's a shame. but it's a plane that dates back to 1974 at least.
It's almost a 40 year old design.

When they do the airshows in Ft Lauderdale. The military planes all end up parking at Opa Locka Airport. I used to work a block away from the airstrip. After the airshow is over all the planes heading back home buzz the tower. I saw 2 of these suckers buzz the tower. And they are loud as hell.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Retiring the B-1 isn't the worst thing we still have B-2 stealth bomber, B-52, and the new spacebound X-37B to go along with the drones you mentioned.

The B-1 is still pretty high-tech compared to the bombing fleets of the rest of the world. With the Mid-East turmoil increasing every day it seems kind of odd timing that we may dismantle one of our larger long range bombing fleets.

My question is if the fleet of 66 B-1s is retired, whose hands are they going to wind up in? Are we going to sell them?

I can only think of one country with our trust, the money, and the immediate need for them, Israel.

It would certainly be interesting conspriacy theory, if TPTB forced our military to cut its budget, then purposely chose to cut the B-1s, so the war planes could be sold off to Israel. That would certainly put them in prime position to become victorious in the inescapable "Middle Eastern Holy War."

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I absolutely love that theory!!

That would be the best way to "give" the B-1s to Israel without actually giving the B-1s to Israel.

Brilliant!!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
They were built just to employ people not that we needed them as a line of defense.

We have enough bombers to meet our needs and these things are old.

Send them all to the bone yard in Arizona.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
These are still high tech aircraft with awesome capabilities....
Mothball them rather than sell them.
they may still come in handy later.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This is a very stupid idea. Why would you get rid of the only heavy bomber that has a chance to bust into Russian or Chinese airspace should they know how to spot the B-2?

The B-52s are slow and easy targets, Get rid of them before the newer more capable plane. B-2s are not really considered in this equation because they are to few and expensive as hell.

I say give the B-1 Raptor engines and stick with the original plan, Light the burners, get low and mean all the way to the target. With todays advances in radar and night vision this plane could kick some serious butt. The missile truck idea wasn't bad either.

Should these idiots in D.C. scrap these planes then we will be witness to the utter dismantling of our armed forces and nuclear response threat as a whole.

new topics

top topics

join