It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing!! Must read!!!! You wont believe it!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I made this thread specifically to show people that using catch phrases is an amazingly powerful political tool and/or sales tactic.

If you clicked this thread just because of the titles please post a comment. Its ok you wont be embarrassed, everyone does it. I just want to make a point here.

When i was selling electronics i could sell a higher priced model simply by saying it was High Definition. In reality, almost everything at the time was High Definition, but if i got a customer who actually knew that, i would just say something like "Its got a much higher resolution creating a better high-def experience" or some bs like that. You wont believe how many people actually bought the more expensive product(s) just by using this tactic.

I feel politicians are on the same boat. Just watch the debates between Barack and Mccain. Hell, just watch any at last years election.

Guliani: "terrorism" "911" "terrorist" "terrorism" "911"
Mccain: "earmarks" "port barrel spending" "earmarks" "911" "terrorism" "earmarks" "earmarks"
Hell, even my hero Ron Paul: "stop the fed" "catastrophe" "financial meltdown" "bubble" "market bubble' "Housing bubble' "fed bubble" "inflation bubble"

I could go on here, but you probably get the point. I put Ron Paul up there because he's probably my favorite politician at the moment but even HE is guilty of these things(although to a much lesser degree than his competition).

Don't forget your HD Sun glasses on the way out:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 28-6-2010 by demonseed]

[edit on 28-6-2010 by demonseed]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Yep. Catchy titles and emotive or descriptive words and phrases are designed to gain our attention. We are taught to write that way. We are conditioned to be drawn to it but more than that, they evoke a sense of "being there" and are meant to elicit a personal response. A means to be a temporary voyeur, or to "feel" or "experience" another person or place. This is the power of words. Songs, poems, literature - all contain these elements. The "word" is a mighty tool.

ed: doh

[edit on 28-6-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Forgive me.

What's amazing?

What must I read?

What won't I believe?

Electronics salesmen and other salesmen are notorious for hype.

Politicians are known for hype, especially for their pet issues.

Is that so hard to believe?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I came. I saw. I growled. I left.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Congratulations, you got me.

I have seen these tactics work wonders with activists, as well as politicians.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Negotium of Verum]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yes...it's pretty obvious this happens. I might get sucked in, but then I get pretty damn pissed off if there's no substance when I get there...at both you and me. But point made.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
...and now you see the problem to using these tools irresponsibly... Lol.

If the content is substandard or misleading, the "author" will not only lose the audience, but will have put his/her reputation on the line for providing unworthy material. There must always be a a balance.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by demonseed

i think you are just saying that there is a lot of power in words that are collectively charged. if you can get enough people to associate a certain perception or belief with a word or group of words it is very powerful. it is almost like the mind gets hooked into being mesmerized or brainwashed via these words and the person will react accordingly.

Obama did this in his campaign.

Campaign Slogans of Barack Obama in the USA

1. "Yes We Can"
2. “Change” versus “More of the Same”
3. "Vote for Change"
4. "Change We Can Believe In"
5. "Our Time for Change"
6. "It's about Time. It's about Change"
7. "Stand for Change"
8. "Organize for Change"
9. “We are the change we’ve been looking for. Change can’t happen without you.”
10. "I’m asking you to believe. Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington . I'm asking you to believe in yours."
11. "A leader who can deliver change"
12. "Change in America doesn't start from the top down. It starts from the bottom up."

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Excellent. You've made my personal 'never read a thread by demonseed again' list. You honestly think we needed to be taught something as basic as this? The reason ALL of us came here is that, as a member of the ATS community, we gave you the benefit of the doubt. I stress the word GAVE.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I didn't click on the title immediately. First I glanced over to the forum it was located in, and saw it was the Political Issues forum. Then I thought, okay I'll check it out.

I must say I am very disappointed that it wasn't something "hot," and "juicy," with a touch of spice.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
i am sorry for pissing everyone off but sometimes you got to to make a point.

@ jtma508:
Its all good man. Your not the first person i've pissed off and wont be the last =)

You cant make friends with everyone...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yea, this is largely a well known fact. There's a lot of information and choices out there and people just look for things that catch their attention. Also catch phrases have to do with the fact that people are busy these days and don't want to spend a lot of time listening to explanations and reading. They want short and to the point. I was severely disappointed by clicking on this. Like the poster before me, I checked what forum it was in first. Tired of all the Grey Area posts that lure me to disappointment.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So. This isn't something I'd tie to any politician. But, I'd say it's rather common for conservatives to say this thing;

"Law abiding citizen" I hate hearing it. Not because I hate citizens who follow laws. But because it is used as some sort of power phrase as if the person saying it thinks everything they say will be magically correct. Now matter how twisted the things they say.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
You made your point with the title of your thread. Although this isn't
earth-shattering news on this site--You're preaching to the choir.

Recent terms that evoke emotion without thought

"Insurgents"
Just to be clear, MLK, Ghandi, and the Founding Fathers were all insurgents.

"Axis of Evil"
This one is almost comic book language

"Hope"
thanks, but I already have hope. How about "Action"

HDADD
High definition attention deficit disorder--Stephen Wright quote

To the OP, I hope you have on your flame-retardant outer wear

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

You need a big foam finger and a sign saying Gotcha!!
However I must agree with some of the others that have posted, this has been "programed" into us from a very early age as with many other things. This is one of those things that MSM and TPTB have made into a sensation especially when reporting or campaigning to grab our attention and sometimes take our attention away from other more important things.

What are you trying to hide??

Hahaha Jokes of course, and a good little "joke."

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I didnt get caught out by the thread title, I was just filing out my CIA reports.

Joking of course, just in case your a little paranoid.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I really did not need this! You don't need to add to the problem with these type of posts.

Who didn't know people here are full of it and attention hooors?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So you LIED. Sweet life. Lying to people and bull#ting them, way to go.

I've always said you can take the same lines they used in the 70's to sell # for today... it's all words and slogans and are kinda timeless in a sense. If it was "Top of the line and cutting edge" back in the 70's its still "Top of the line and cutting edge" in 2010.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Obviously you are a master of the blindingly obvious.
Everyone who comes to this site knows 'the point ' you are trying to make , so you have effectively been making everyone suck an egg.

Well done

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

How is "Amazing!Must Read....etc" a catchy phrase?

It was a phrase telling us to read it.
Even if you left out "you won't believe it" I think 'must read' STILL garners a lot of inquisitive attention.

I sorta get your point but your example is way off.

Yes, the politicians used and throw out a lot of mind-controlling words but saying something is "catchy" (like your high definition equipment) is simply a sales tactic. And although you're not misleading them, you're simply baiting and hooking them.
I just don't see how that (this) is the same as catch-phrases.

I just don't see this under the same category as 'catchy phrases'. If anything it's a Barkers cry!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join