It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOCOM abandons the 5.56 version of the FN SCAR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
www.thefirearmblog.com...

I never did see the point of them buying these. The M-4 does just fine and the SCAR has to use special magazines anyways. Personally i think they should have looked into fielding the Bushmaster ACR.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Thanks i found that quite interesting. Did they not also get rid of the XM8?

Also i think I am right in saying that SOCOM still have the HK416 in service.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Yeah SOCOM will go back to their M-4's or 416's, but they will be keeping the 7.62 version of the SCAR. The XM8 was scraped awhile ago, but i'm not entirely sure why.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The SCAR does not need a special magazine. I have two SCARS and use Brownell mags, magpul mags, H&K mags; they all work flawlessly.

They only abandoned the MK16 and are replacing them with MK17 and MK20 (sniper version). This way they have the same gun in a .308 and if need be, can change out the barrel to 5.56. It is a better decision if you ask me, more versatile.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Mudman21]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by America?

it lacked the power and velocity of the bigger and faster 7.62. 5.56 is crap against body armor, hence why the special forces needed a more powerful round. Also, SCARs lacked the rails and customizability of the M4 variants.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mudman21

Sorry about the false info with the mags. I just read somewhere that they were different. I think they should just completely scrap the 5.56 and go with the 6.8 SPC. I know that would add weight, but the capabilities of the round mite outweigh the costs and added weight. Also the least you need to do to an existing M-4 is get an new upper and make slight modifications to the mags.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I wish US military went with Magpul's Masada (AKA Bushmaster ACR). That way SOCOM units can choose between 5.56 or AK's 7.62x39.

But, there is a cheaper alternative that my friend just mentioned. Instead of buying a new rifle system, why not change the ammo. Introducing Remington's new .30 Rem AR in 125-grain:

Accurate Shooter Blog
Remington : .30 Rem AR

This new round has ballistics similar to a .308 round. And it can be used on any M-16 platform and magazines.

I'm still waiting for an M41A Pulse Rifle (from movie Aliens)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I think there was some problems initially with some aftermarket mags not dropping. Personally I love the H&K mags but they are very expensive.

I have always been a huge fan of the M-4, but once I got my SCAR's, seems like that is all I shoot these days. The weight reduction and reduction in recoil has me a bit spoiled. And as far as rails go compared to the M-4, I have just about everything you could ever need on a rifle and still have room on my rails for more stuff.

I think the SOCOM program dropping the MK16 is solely due to funding. The decision to go with the MK17 instead was based solely on the fact that you will have a larger caliber rifle that can be interchanged with different variants of calibers and barrel lengths. You can change these barrels out in a matter of minutes. So if you are in a CQB situation, you can throw on your 12" 5.56 barrel. Then install you 20" .308 barrel when you need to pick someone off at a distance.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Based on the change from the Mk16 to the Mk17, this isn't a case of moving away from the SCAR, it's a case of the gradual move away from 5.56mm.

Personally I think 7.62NATO is too much for these rifles, 6.8SPC makes much more sense with a 16 inch or 12 inch barrel.

I can still remember standing in a gun store watching a young lady handle a round of 5.56mm FMJ, stating - "you're kidding, our soldiers use these tiny bullets?!!?".

It isn't known as the poodle shooter for nothing.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
Also, SCARs lacked the rails and customizability of the M4 variants.

If this was one of the main reasons they didn't go with SCARS, it makes me wonder why they didn't go with the XM8. I thought they had a lot of customizable features. I had hoped they would have adopted it in a 6.8 SPC.

I would like to see that or the newer 6.5 MPC tested and considered.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

THats pretty cool that you have a SCAR, but was it actually worth what you spent? I mean you can get just about the highest quality AR15 out there for what you probably paid for the SCAR.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I understand that all of you have some fine points about the weapons, but in my experience, I would suggest that somebody look behind the scenes and find out the politics of who makes each weapon, who are we sharing ammo with, etc. That usually decides such policy changes more than the weapons themselves.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Yes, the SCAR is definitely pricey, but I have a Noveske that I have a lot more invested in! Throw in the tax stamp b/c it's a SBR and the SCAR seemed like a deal!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I've heard good things about Noveske products. I just wish i had the money or a job to even buy a basic AR 15, but then again i just graduated and jobs aren't easy to find right now.

top topics

join