It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arrest models after fashion show

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Police arrest models after fashion show

www.reuters.com

Amateur models taking part in the "Sudanese Next Top Model Fashion Show" told Reuters they were rounded up late Thursday by Sudan's public order police, a body known for its crackdowns on indecent dress and drinking in the Muslim north.

"They came to the club after the show and arrested between 20 and 30 people -- not just models, but people doing the make- up, the people who provided the clothes," said the participant, who asked to remain anonymous.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Im not sure what to say about this....Talk about no freedom of expression!!

If I understand correctly, the girls were arrested for wearing skimpy outfits at a club?

I thought that's what club clothes are supposed to look like? Or maybe its just the kind that I like to see at a club =)

Either way that's pretty scary, I wonder what the penalties would be for something like that?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It's their culture.

We can no more understand their parenting and cultural rules than they can understand the likes of Miley Cyrus and what her parents allow her to do.

And, we've no right to judge them - not from/with our Western World way of thinking.

These girls knowingly went against their parents, their culture, their belief system. They're lucky they got off as easy as they did.

peace

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
people are different all over the world. societies and cultures are different all over the world. this seems crazy to me, but then again, just down the street from my apartment a cop tried to arrest a woman for j-walking, and she resisted. he ended up punching her friend in the face.
their society chose to rule their country with religion, and they broke the rules.

hopefully, the "In God We Trust" crowd dont try to do the same thing here.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Originally posted by silo13
And that is the universal age of suffrage, really did you pop your head out of the sand to comment on this?

who says? did you just make that up? you should spend more time reading books on cultural anthropology and less time insulting people.
IMO, that is

EDIT: cant figure out why my whole post looks like a quote lol

[edit on 28-6-2010 by mooseinhisglory]

[edit on 28-6-2010 by mooseinhisglory]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Are you crazy? It is not like they were in skin Minnie outfits.... This is what happens when you let Religious Nuts run a country... And you are advocating it... Really maybe you should rethink your position.

Moderate that.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This is what happens in Islamic nations, Islam is NOT compatible with the modern world and the concepts of democracy, self expression, and freedom of speech.

When are you people going to comprehend this?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

What kind of stupid crap are you spewing???? Everyone should be free to dress as they wish? I am assuming this people were over the age of 18.... And that is the universal age of suffrage, really did you pop your head out of the sand to comment on this?

- heh, I guess it's "When in Rome duck when the other Romans Duck".

Yhea all they did was share a catwalk with males, but one time I was arrested for having a pee against a wall, I of course maintain it was my right to urinate freely the officer didn't agree, wonder what my punishment would have been in the Sudan? lol removal of body parts related to peeing?

It's the local culture, no point comparing it to your own because you'd spend all day on a pointless exercise.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mooseinhisglory

Maybe, if you I don’t know a quick search you could see that in Sudan the Age of Adulthood is 17.... Regardless it is still wrong to arrest someone because of what they are wearing... Religious nuts are religious nuts and Sudan is full of them...

www.cia.gov...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
This is what happens in Islamic nations, Islam is NOT compatible with the modern world and the concepts of democracy, self expression, and freedom of speech.

Never.... and how dare you insult Islam dont ya know you can go to hell for that

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Let’s see, you whipped out your Penis, to urinate; they were clothed and modeling bridal gowns.... See the difference?

Culture has nothing to do with being able to dress how you want to... These pigs in Sudan are brainwashed by a religion.... There precious fake prophet was tripping on shrooms...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231

Most religions are not compatible with the modern world, don't just single out Islam.

All of them fall in line with a world mentality that is 2000+ years old.

I don't think YOU comprehend what Islam actually is. I wish people would stop listening to the soap box media and actually learn a thing or two about these people's cultures.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

my position is firm where it is, thank you very much. just because i dont make sensationalist, angry remarks doesnt mean im advocating it. im not religious and religion has no place in government.
so, please, explain to me why homosexuals in THIS country cant get married. just because the bible says its wrong.

i was simply saying that they live in their own social construct. they know the rules. i dont agree with their rules, but i dont live there and i cant speak for them. hopefully they can change how their laws work in the future, but really, its not my place, nor is it yours, to judge.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Gays can get married in this country, in certain states.... And what does gay marriage have to do with Sudan? In sudan if your gay they kill, are you advocating killing gays here in the US?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Are you crazy? It is not like they were in skin Minnie outfits.... This is what happens when you let Religious Nuts run a country... And you are advocating it... Really maybe you should rethink your position.

Moderate that.

I repeat.

It's their culture.
Their set of rules.

Enough said.

Anything more would be just another instance of someone from the West forcing their beliefs down the throats of someone from the East.

Wars start that way.

As for 'advocating it'...?

I advocate THEIR RIGHT to live the way THEIR society tells them to. Period.

peace

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

These pigs in Sudan are brainwashed by a religion....

That they are! - (well either that or they are using it for an excuse to act how they do), but either way you have to know the local customs, laws and practices and whatever consequences there are for not sticking to them. If this was a ground breaking situation then they really would have been gambling, if it's your wish to shake things up a little when you are in a strict Islamic nation your a braver man than me!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Maybe, if you I don’t know a quick search you could see that in Sudan the Age of Adulthood is 17.... Regardless it is still wrong to arrest someone because of what they are wearing... Religious nuts are religious nuts and Sudan is full of them...

www.cia.gov...

i wasnt asking for Sudan's Age of Adulthood. you were speaking of an imaginary universal age of suffrage.
"adult" means different things in different countries. for example, you can drink at 18 in the UK, cant drink till 21 here. of course, you can get killed for your country at 18, but in some aspects youre still considered a minor. the word "adulthood" has no universal meaning. just depends where you are.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Gays can get married in this country, in certain states.... And what does gay marriage have to do with Sudan? In sudan if your gay they kill, are you advocating killing gays here in the US?

whats the deal with your loaded questions and backwards reasoning? i was just making a broader point by simply stating that EVERY country does weird stuff just because their religions influence them. thats all!

religions have been with us for a loooooooooong time. were talking about 1-2000 year old traditions, man. its really easy to sit here and try to run other peoples country from a conspiracy website, when you dont actually have to deal with it. just take it down a couple notches, homes it seems you might have a stroke just because i have a different opinion then you.
jesus.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It's quite sad that people defend this action on the grounds of it being their culture or being their religion. It's also sad to be instructed that they should not be judged by western standards.

But fair enough. I judge them strictly on the standard of freedom. Such police actions against persons causing no harm or fraud to anybody is immoral and unjust. To take such action in the name of religion would be seriously immoral.

I will NOT excuse this unjust police action on the basis of accepting a culture or religion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join