It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun has had a powercut, I repeat the sun has had a powercut...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This isn't much but it has really perplexed me...

I was on a cig break at just after 10:30 this morning. I was having a chat with someone else at work whilest enjoying lovely clear blue sky's with the sun beating down on me, when all of a sudden... someone hit the dimmer switch lol.

The sun blinked off for a split second.

If it was was just me that saw it, i'd of thought that the sun was playing tricks on my eyes, but both myself & my buddy from work saw it.

It's not really anything big, but I'm just wondering if anyone know's what could explain this???

There were no clouds in the sky

No birds / low flying airplanes were about

The sun seemed to be shining a hell of a lot brighter a couple of minutes after this happened.

I'm at Milton Keynes, England.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Really i think you may have imagined this. There was a solar eclipse yesterday but i highly doubt it could have been connected with that. And I think I am right in saying that it would go against the laws of physics for the sun to “have a power cut”.

CX

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Haven't a clue.

Could there be any chance that something in the atmosphere could have clouded the sky for a second, like clouds but higher up so we can't see it from earth?

Just a guess i'm afraid, maybe you'll get a better answer from the experts here.

CX.

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I doubt the sun switched off for a second, much more likely that a gigantic extraterrestrial space craft drifted between you and sol at a very high speed, and that was probably the source of the dimming.

Hey please take your foot off my neck, I cannot help it if that was the first thing I thought of on reading the OP

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Really i think you may have imagined this. There was a solar eclipse yesterday but i highly doubt it could have been connected with that. And I think I am right in saying that it would go against the laws of physics for the sun to “have a power cut”.

I think you're probably right too, but we don't actually know that it would go against the laws of physics. It would go against what we currently understand about the laws of physics; it could be that this is true, though desperately unlikely, in which case we would have a new phenomenon to modify our known laws of physics with.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

Well it would mean that everything we know about nuclear fusion is wrong..... who knows could be some very cool anomaly in space we don’t know about, however it think something like that would be highly reported, thousands of people would be writing to news papers. Oh and emmmm this isn’t one of those things were by you can say “They wouldn’t tell us” because everyone would have noticed that it had suddenly gone dark, unless the OP was the only person awake in the UK at that time. Sorry it’s just your imagination.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
When I say a powercut im just joking. It was like someone standing at a light switch ... light off/light on. for like .010seconds.

If it was me on my own that saw it then i'd of thought my mind was playing tricks on me. but I wasn't the only person who saw it.

I thought it was strange is all.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
They are called clouds. White and fluffy they block sunlight from hitting the earth.

You should come down here to florida. It's brutally hot and in the 90's. The sun is hitting us full blast here.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Just checked my solar activity site. Not that I really understand what all this information is, but I figured if something major happened it would more than likely stand out from the norm. Here's the link in case you're interested.

SOLARCYCLE

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

It wouldn't mean that EVERYTHING we know about Nuclear Fusion is wrong; it would mean that there were events in the continuous fusion process of the sun that we don't understand.

But if this did actually happen, it's much more likely to have been a localized effect; something unnoticed or unnoticeable beyond its effect on solar light passed between our OP and his friend. Charles Fort collected a lot of data on similar phenomena, most of it in his book New Lands. His theories are absurd, but they do tend to fit the data.

So, maybe something we just flat out don't understand yet happened.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

When you snark, please snark wisely. The OP quite clearly said there weren't any clouds. Maybe he just didn't notice them; you could've said that.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

This is a long shot but you might have a undiagnosed neurological condition like mild epilepsy and it caused your vision to black out for a split second. But then even at that, you said there were other people with you so couldn’t be that and we know that the sun didn’t turn its self off.

Conclusions, sorry your making this up.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Sorry mate I was up early so went back to bed for a bit around then. I want to believe you though. Could it have been a whisp of some sort of cirrus cloud very fine hard to see due to it's close proximity to the sun?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Oh come ON. "It wasn't anything I'm aware of, so you must be making it up." That's just absurd. I don't think there's any reason to conclude that this is a hoax; he didn't come in saying "this is what it really was!" or anything like that. there are so many reasonable (and unreasonable but possible) explanations for it, such as a large bird that both of them didn't notice, a coincidence of timing in their blinks, etc. etc., but you have to go right to "making it up"! Tell him he made a mistake, tell him he got confused, tell him it was a mutual hallucination, but don't call someone a liar without good reason!

It's going to be an angry day for me, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Tell me what I've to gain in making something up??? If I wanted to get attention for myself I'd of put this in the breaking news or the gray area with the "crazy's." I found it quite strange is all & thought someone on here might have a clue about it, as most people on this site seem quite smart.

If you've got nothing constructive to say... keep it shut monkeyman

Thanks to everyone else who is putting some theories across

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
maybe a buzzard?

Im in the UK and at 10:30 i was also outside smoking a ciggy and i didnt see anything unusual

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This is NOT the first thread like this guys! This has been reported before...maybe something to it? Of course, something obscuring the sun seems a much better explanation than the sun actually dimming drastically...that would scare the crap out of me.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by coffeesniffer

You never know it could of been but I didnt see any birds or anything else in the sky.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It can’t happen the sun cannot turn its self off and back on again. That is a fact of established physics the sun will keep burning until it runs out o gas. I did suggest there may me a neurological reason for this happening but the OP said himself that he and another person saw it. Sorry but this is a lie, a hoax you just want to believe something happened. Isn’t it a coincidence that the OP said that the sky was completely clear, opening up the idea that the only logical reason according to him is for the sun to black out. Or he is a liar, which he clearly is. And can you also tell me how it is possible for the sun to move noticeably higher in the sky in a fraction of a second.

THIS IS A HOAX

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
That's quite strange indeed. I've had the same thing happen to me I believe at one point in the past. Though that doesn't really help you figure out what it was lol. I gotta think that the most reasonable explanation is something blocked out the sun for a very brief moment of time. As for what it was, who knows. Something certainly fast and most likely high up. Maybe it was an asteroid at just the right distance or meteor coming in just right? Or a big a** satellite? IDK man but I buy you saw something at least!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join