It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google can kill or install apps on citizen Android phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hey you guys, got an android powered phone
Google can kill or install apps on citizen Androids

Google has the power to not only remove applications from users' Android phones, but remotely install them as well.

Last week, Google told the world it had exercised its Android "Remote Application Removal Feature," reaching out over the airwaves and lifting two applications from citizen handsets, and as pointed out by the man who built this pair of vanished applications – security researcher Jon Oberheide – the company can use the same persistent handset connection to install applications as well.

Link

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This actually happened to me with an update.

There are many apps on the android that the older versions are better with more functionality, and free. So alot of the apps I have I never update if the comments say the new version is crap. So I was at a friends and noticed when I picked up my phone it was restarting and an app had been remotely updated.

Thanks for the info Ill keep it in mind.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I just checked my phone. They haven't done anything with it yet. I have the Google-powered HTC Hero. I'll see if it does anything. I have very few apps, and ones I find important to me (mostly just google-sky, for photography purposes).

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Why do people need cell phones so badly?

Everything you do with it, say on it, places you go with it, are all logged!

And the do not need warrants!

The modern day spy device.

Best thing you can do is step on your google phone and break it!

My 0.02

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
lol me and my friend cover or take out the batteries in our cell when talking about sensativ info

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
Why do people need cell phones so badly?

Everything you do with it, say on it, places you go with it, are all logged!

And the do not need warrants!

The modern day spy device.

Best thing you can do is step on your google phone and break it!

My 0.02

Luddite.

My 0.02

[edit on 28/6/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

If that revelation is a tree then its seed is Apple.

Apple releases "updates" for their software on a regular basis and can remote kill an entire phone a la the leaked iPhone 4 prototype.

reply to post by theability

Not just cellular phones that have everything logged, its the internet too. If you think its a different story then why does ATS track IP addresses of posters?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dnevnoi
reply to post by majestictwo

If that revelation is a tree then its seed is Apple.

Apple releases "updates" for their software on a regular basis and can remote kill an entire phone a la the leaked iPhone 4 prototype.

Thanks for that info I am about to get the iphone4 i did'nt know they did that also. Actually it was a toss up between HTC Desire and Iphone4 sounds like they all the same - sheep in wolves clothing

[edit on 29-6-2010 by majestictwo]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I was wanting a droid really bad too

Sorry google, but no sale

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Apple are the big brother of the phone market. They can and do "kill" phones that have been broken from the contract they were tied to. They can and do update the software on the phone remotely - and have used this technique to kill phones with modified firmware. They are running a one company boycott on technologies they don't like - without any thought for the user's views on whether or not they should be allowed to view a sizeable proportion of webpages (flash).
Out of the two, Apple and Google, Google seem to be the lesser of two evils.
But, and here I speak as a paid up geek, if you want a cell phone, just buy a damned cell phone. If you want a freaking web-browser, buy a cheap netbook and a connection cable, far better.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Luddite

Man your are ignorant to use that word after the post I had stated.

For one a Luddite is against all forms of industrial revolution, not just one and do anything they can to oppose the issue!

Yet here I am posting to you on the internet.

Man read the definition before you post something!

Main Entry: Ludd·ite
Pronunciation: \ˈlə-ˌdīt\
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from Ned Ludd, 18th century Leicestershire workman who destroyed a knitting frame
Date: 1811
one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change

DID YOU EVEN READ THE DEFINITION?

My what ignorance!

[edit on 1-7-2010 by theability]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
wow, i always look on ATS from my android and last week i left it on the screen overnight and when i woke it said app installed successfully, i checked the name of the app but it said untitled and i couldnt find it in my app folder either, my phone started acting iffy so i reset it to factory settings and everything is good now.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
My MT3G is rooted and I'm running CM 5.0.8. I wonder if this still applies to me. I'll have to look at the CM forums and see if anyone has posted anything about this.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dnevnoi

Not just cellular phones that have everything logged, its the internet too. If you think its a different story then why does ATS track IP addresses of posters?

So they track my IP! Big whoop! My IP doesn't have GPS and tell my every move now does it?

Did you ever think of that? My desktop computer doesn't move anywhere, right? Your cell phone gives specifics about every where you go.

Oh yeah and I can by a cheap device to listen to your calls and clone your phone also, right?

So, can you clone my IP address? Good luck with that!

Give me a u2u when you are successful!

So again why compare internet to cell phones, its not the same thing, seriously.

new topics

top topics

join