It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Robert Byrd, Longest-Serving Senator in U.S. History, Dies at 92

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Sen. Robert Byrd, Longest-Serving Senator in U.S. History, Dies at 92

Robert Byrd, Longest-Serving U.S. Senator, Dies at 92

Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, the longest-serving senator in American history, died Monday at the age of 92.

Byrd, a Democrat who served in the U.S. Senate since 1959, had been plagued by health problems in recent years and was confined to a wheelchair. He had skipped several votes in Congress in the past months.

He was the oldest member of the 111th Congress.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Another bites the dust.

I don't much about his voting record, but from the statements I've heard from him, he looked like a lunatic. But eh, at 92, you're lucky to be alive, much less a senator.

So who's gonna take his seat... of course is gonna be the big question.

Good thing he did...opposed the Iraq war.

EDIT : A yes, he was a former KKK member. But he says it was just a way to launch his political career and create connections.

An interesting article about him from 2005.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I didn't like him nor did I like his politics but I hope he made things right with the Lord Jesus Christ before he stepped into eternity.

Condolences to his family and friends.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
And nothing of value was lost.

...at least, that's what I would be saying, but I have to give him some props. I have the same respect for Senator Byrd that one would have for a world dictator such as Adolf Hitler (although not to that degree). Even at such an old age, he worked his butt off for a cause that he believed in.

I hope that whatever happens to his soul next, in his next lifetime, he puts his energy to a more positive use.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
this is a perfect example in my opinion why we need to legislate for term limits..

~meat.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Byrd has a long and storied past. People need to remember the times he grew up in and served in. He had some racist ideas but those have been beaten to death throughout the years.

The thing that surprised me was that he was 4th in line for succession to POTUS, behind Pelosi. It's just one of those interesting little factoids.

His death complicates the vote on Wall St. reform. Right now, the deciding vote falls into the hands of Scott Brown of Mass.

Should Brown vote no and Byrd is unable to vote, it would leave the bill one vote shy of the 60 needed to close debate and move to final passage.

Read more: www.politico.com...

www.politico.com...

His replacement will be named by the governor of W. VA, a Democrat.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

It's kind of scary to think that a 92 year old guy was forth in line for the Presidency if the first 3 were taken out somehow. Although, I did trust him more than pelosi. At least Byrd revered the U.S. Constitution.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

It was because of his his position as president pro tempore of the Senate that he was 4th in line.

And I too would have trusted him much more than Pelosi, for the same reasons as you.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage
reply to post by mishigas

It's kind of scary to think that a 92 year old guy was forth in line for the Presidency if the first 3 were taken out somehow. Although, I did trust him more than pelosi. At least Byrd revered the U.S. Constitution.

So you trusted a man the helped form the KKK?

new topics

top topics

join