It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq electric situation getting worse.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I just checked the documents at the Coalition Provisional Authority website to see how much progress is being made over there and was shocked to see the power situation is getting worse.

The majority of the country is getting less than 8 hours per day of electricity. There is now only one small area in Iraq that is getting more than 16 hours per day.

GREEN: Greater than 16 hours of average daily power
AMBER: 8 to 16 hours of average daily power
RED: Less than 8 hours of average daily power

This is what they say about the decline:

Declining hours due to increased use of air conditioners, decreased megawatt hours, and additional fighting in South Central Iraq. However, some areas showed an increase due to attempts at grabbing more power than allocated by the National Dispatch Center.

You can find the report here:
Coalition Provisional Authority

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
That's horrible. I guess they're going to have to rely on other methods of obtaining energy. (ie:candles, fireplace, hanging clothes out to dry, etc). This is bad for the Iraq civillians as well as the coalition troops that are stationed in Iraq.

I guess they're thinking twice now about killing Nick Berg, who was there to help repair the electricity. Could this energy shortage be a statement the US is making about the Berg beheading, and if so why do all Iraq's have to suffer.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I think there doing the best they can but it doesn�t help with a segment of the local population comes out at night and sabotage�s the power lines or so I have read. They build the lines and the next day there down again it makes it hard for any one to get regular power supplies though.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
The Iraqis are going to hit some rough times soon.
Not only is unemployment high but a lot of the items that were subsidized by the previous government will soon have to be purchased at market price.

There was an article a week or two ago about how Iraqis were paying only 5 cents per gallon of gas.
Tim Russert asked Powell about that on Meet The Press and this was his reply:

SEC'Y POWELL: This is the nature of the economy that we inherited from this regime, a regime that was bankrupting itself by providing these kinds of subsidies for gas, for food, and for other necessities which they control. It was a way in which they controlled the population. As the new government takes over and as the economy settles down and it becomes more market-based, you will start to see all of these prices start to go up to market level conditions or certainly not at the current subsidized level. Even electricity was free and we have to change all of that as we bring this country along and bring it into the 21st century and into an integrated economic world.

They had subsidies for food and gas and had free electricity.
They are going to lose out on all of that soon.
It's going to be tough for them to survive.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 14-6-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
check out my post today. DOD report on Iraq. It list power plant performance and goals.

john

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
But wait a minute! The Bush administration and their lackeys, I mean, spokespersons say it's getting better!

How dare you tell the truth!

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
maybe they should stop attacking the people coming in to fix the stuff.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

maybe they should stop attacking the people coming in to fix the stuff.

Or maybe US should get their buts out of Iraq onces and for all and let them be.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Or maybe US should get their buts out of Iraq onces and for all and let them be.

marg

You know we can't do that until there is a McDonalds on every street corner and all shopowners accept Visa, M/C, or AMEX.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   

You know we can't do that until there is a McDonalds on every street corner and all shopowners accept Visa, M/C, or AMEX.

I got a name for it,
It is call, Americanizing the Middle East by any meanings available be force or shove it down their throats and all by the hands of his greatness, gracious and divine president Bush.

Once we get them hook on it like a drug they will be throwing oil for free so they can get more America in their lands

top topics

join