It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami's could Threaten the Gulf from Methane explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Earlier this week Reuters reported on a massive amount of methane discovered in the Gulf of Mexico. “There is an incredible amount of methane in there,” Kessler told reporters. He said the level may be as much as one million times the normal level...

Matai and others fear the methane — under intense pressure (experts estimate the pressure to be between 30,000 and 70,000 pounds per square inch) — may form a bubble that would then rupture the seabed and erupt with an explosion.

“The bubble is likely to explode upwards propelled by more than 50,000 psi of pressure, bursting through the cracks and fissures of the sea floor, fracturing and rupturing miles of ocean bottom with a single extreme explosion,” Matai explains. “If the toxic gas bubble explodes, it might simultaneously set off a tsunami traveling at a high speed of hundreds of miles per hour. Florida might be most exposed to the fury of a tsunami wave. The entire Gulf coastline would be vulnerable, if the tsunami is manifest. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and southern region of Georgia might experience the effects of the tsunami according to some sources.”

Sources:
www.infowars.com...

Additional Sources:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

My husband pointed me in the direction of the Huffington Post article, and then of course Alex Jones picked it up on Infowars over the weekend. I was shocked and highly disturbed of learning about this new information. The new threat of the methane, in addition to the toxic chemicals, crude oil, destroying our earth, wildlife, and human health- it almost too much to handle! Lets hope and pray we can get this resolved as quickly as possible!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
S+F!

That's some heavy info there.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
A bit confused here. Wouldn't any methane bubble float to the surface and release into the atmosphere? How is it suppose to explode underwater and cause a tsunami?

Methane rises so im confused, perhaps someone could clarify?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This theoretical possibility has been rehashed in various internet articles ever since Richard C Hoagland initiated the idea two weeks ago. There is already a thread about it here which I began when his claim broke. Loads of bloggers and websites have picked up on it and slip it into their articles by direct quote or paraprhasing

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
forgive the rough estimates .

But for illustration purposes . A tennis sized gas bubble at a deep depth when it reaches the surface could be the size of a house .

Boyles law states P1 • V1 = P2 • V2

in essence double the pressure and half the volume . At sea level a 100 cubic ft a 5x5x4 bubble of air is at 14.8 pis at 33 ft depth 2 atmospheres 29 psi it is 50 cubic ft . 99 ft it is 25 cubic ft 198 ft it is 12 cubic ft 380 ft 6 cubic ft 720 it is now 3 cubic ft 1400 1,5 cubic ft and at 2800 ft .74 cubic ft at 5600 it is .33 of a cubit ft

Here at the well head depth of 5000 ft you have 2300 pis aprox and 152 atmospheres

now the worry is a large emission of gas at depth in one big bubble could displace a whole lot of water .

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Ah ok, I understand now. I got lost in the whole explosion thing. Fully understand now. As for wheather it could actually cause a tsunami, im not so sure.

Usually from what I notice is bathtubs atleast is that the larget a bubble gets the more unstable it becomes and breaks up into smaller bubbles. Just a thought lol. In which cas a bunch of smaller bubbles at the surface would not cause a tsunami.

Im just not sure that a bubble could cause a tsunami. The bubble would grow as it neared the surface but the pressure on the bubble from the extreme rate of ascension would break it up, atleast in my mind. But im only using logic, so ill leave it up to the scientists to worry about.

top topics

join