It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's 'Identity Ecosystem' will tie our names to EVERY device we use, replace all passwords

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Obama doesn't want us to have to hassle around having to log into sites and services we use, fumbling around with passwords and online 'handles'. Instead he wants to build an "Identity Ecosystem" where our personal identities are tied to every single device we use, right down to the flash memory chips we plug into our cameras and other devices.

'Identity ecosystem' to replace passwords, draft strategy suggests
In the language of the strategy, “In the envisioned identity ecosystem individuals, organizations, services, and devices would be able to trust each other because authoritative sources establish and authenticate their digital identities.” What that means in real terms is that trusted providers such as a bank would issue security credentials that would then be accepted by other online resources such as social networking sites and e-mail providers.

Rather than using a user name and password, the person would have the crediential on a device that would authenticate his or her identity to the computer and, by extension, to services that accept the credential. The strategy includes references to smart cards, USB drives, mobile devices, software certificates and trusted computing modules as possible authentication technologies.
Government Computer News

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The strategy document:
www.dhs.gov...

Wow. Make sure you don't lose your phone somewhere, or someone can log in and make purchases without even having your personal passwords.

Forget about having multiple anonymous email addresses for logging into the various things you might do online. You wont need to worry about all that hassle anymore, Obama's new version of Big Bro' has it all covered.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This is really bizarre. The economy is collapsing and he's worried about petty bs like this? No way do I buy the intent he's putting out. This is part of a global schema to monitor and track everything a person does. Say goodbye to torrent file-sharing, anonymous posting, and free-thinking online. This is BS. I won't integrate into this bull while there's breathe in my lungs. No way!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

S&F, thanks, first I've heard of this garbage. This type of thing has been going on for a while. Your printer already hides data in printed documents so they can be tracked back to your printer.

When you put all the pieces together, it looks like the POTUS has an agenda - and I don't like it.

ATS needs to set up a conference call number so when POTUS throws the switch on the internet everyone can call in for updates.

Peace

Mick

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
If the internet really gets this silly, I'm going to just stop using it, seriously. I still refuse to do anything important like banking on it, and I can remeber the times before the internet, sure it was a little harder to do research, and it's given me some extra entertainment, but I won't mind going back to just going to the library more and getting some more time out in the sun.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Obama sure does know how to push peoples buttons doesnt he?
Problem is, hes pushing the wrong peoples buttons.

He needs to stop trying to push the American people around, it is getting really annoying. He knows the damage that this will cause,yet does it anyway;why would he do that if he didnt have an agenda?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
When the government wants to help you do things like get better reception for your tv and now a digital identity so you no longer have to bother with passwords...

You have to wonder if it's a gigantic waste of tax payer's money, or there's a major ulterior motive.

I'm going to go with the latter on this one...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

That the government would spend money to produce this rubbish is unbelievable.

The integration of all of these component parts into the infrastructure would be daunting if not down right impossible.

The mandate for manufacturers to comply would likely be unconstitutional

The mandate for retailers to ensure that all purchases are recorded would be hard to enforce, you could not stop folks from bringing in devices from other countries

Impossible

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearNoEvil
S&F, thanks, first I've heard of this garbage.

I only noticed by visiting that site doing my monthly news catchup. It's in my "News Radar" list on my Wordpress site. I didn't even notice it on Blacklisted News (they don't miss much). Although it is new, article being June 25th.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Actually, I think it's a good idea in a lot of ways. A helluva lot better than a chip in your wrist to scan as your identity or to pay for things with.

Security is a huge problem online...proving your identity and proving and identifying trusted sources. Some elements of this strategy are already being in use by various companies, banks mostly. And at least at first, it looks like this will be voluntary:

Privacy protection and voluntary participation are pillars of the Identity Ecosystem. The Identity Ecosystem protects anonymous parties by keeping their identity a secret and sharing only the information necessary to complete the transaction. For example, the Identity Ecosystem allows an individual to provide age without releasing birth date, name, address, or other identifying data. At the other end of the spectrum, the Identity Ecosystem supports transactions that require high assurance of a participant’s identity. The Identity Ecosystem reduces the risk of exploitation of information by DRAFT National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace June 25, 2010 2 unauthorized access through more robust access control techniques. Finally, participation in the Identity Ecosystem is voluntary for both organizations and individuals.

As for the device they choose, it won't be any different than carrying around what you use today to prove your identity...your drivers license. They haven't decided on anything yet, so it may well even be incorporated into drivers licenses...in fact that might be a smart and easy place for it, as you usually have that with you. If you lose it, you report it...just like you do with a credit card. The ideal situation would be if you had sole control over the encoding. But they could snatch that off for their little databases that already exist anyway.

I think it is a serious issue...and it does need to be addressed. I didn't get to anyplace in the PDF that showed which companies might be working on this with them. They'd probably bid it out, and my bet would be IBM would get it.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

So instead of having one bank password stolen or one credit card stolen.. thieves can steal these identity sticks and get access to ..... everything?

Do these idiots actually receive an education? How to they get to such lofty positions?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Here's some propaganda:

Individuals going online to send e-mails, make purchases and check their medical records would be able to forgo the dizzying array of user names and passwords and instead obtain more secure credentials for completing those transactions, under a proposed White House cyberspace policy issued Friday.

The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace lays out the Obama administration's strategy for enhancing the security of business conducted online. An interagency team, led by the Homeland Security Department, spent a year developing the strategy, seeking input from about 70 industry advisory councils and associations.
www.federaltimes.com...

Lucidity:
Sure it will start off voluntary, and then a 'cyber attack' 'will occur' and there you go they have the involuntary framework already in place. National ID has nothing on this, at all.

This isn't just about bank security, it's about everything from sending emails etc.

And of course they'll word it where there's privacy, but the Big Bro' WILL know everything that each and everyone of us is doing. They've already proven total disregard to privacy laws and due process in literally every possible facet of the realm, don't forget.

And it isn't just your bank card, it is EVERY single device and component thereof.

Even if it were feasible, which apparently they think it is after spending a year developing it, this is one of the worst ideas I've seen yet out of either BushCo. or ObamaCo.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Thinking further, them merely building the infrastructure to be able to do this will in effect make it so. If they can do it, they will, as government proves again and again.

Do they really need to have my name attached to my video card, memory sticks, CPU, monitors, motherboard, cable modem, wireless Internet router, camera, flash memory sticks, mouse, keyboard, printer, DVD burner and hard disks? (to use just one example)

I often figure they already do. Perhaps this is their way of publicly legitimizing it much how BushCo. handled unveiling Total Information Awareness NSA spying on the grand scale. Fusion Centers and all of that.

People forget that Congress ruled TIA as unconstitutional, and ordered it to be shut down.

September 26, 2003
Privacy and civil-rights groups have hailed Congress' decision to effectively kill a controversial Pentagon program to construct a powerful computerized surveillance system that critics feared would lead to unprecedented spying into the private lives of U.S. citizens.
The final bill also banned the government from using the technology envisioned by TIA in any other program.

The House of Representatives voted 407-15 to approve the conference committee's bill on Wednesday, while the Senate approved it Thursday by a vote of 95-0.

"Congress has reaffirmed the fundamental privacy rights of all Americans," said Timothy Edgar, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) which had lobbied against the TIA since its existence was first exposed by the New York Times one year ago. "This is a resounding victory for individual liberty."
www.globalissues.org...

Now it has been applied far and wide, into every department and agency, and this new measure is the icing on the cake.

Maybe it's also about knowing when we sell individual components to our friends, so they can swoop in and tax us for it.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Exellent thread. Star and flag!

This is all just plain scary! Like previous posters have said here, I would certainly stop using the Internet if this came into play. Pretty soon the government will turn every site into a tool for government propaganda. It's like a technologically advanced version of Nazi Germany and this time the general population are the Jews!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Alright, can I say it now since no-one else has yet?
The mark of the beast anyone?

Ignoranceisntbliss might have a good point there, I need to research it a bit more before I can say I really understand the issues involved.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Sorry Lucidity, but the Chip is coming, is already been funded when the companies involved got the OK by the government after the HCR was passed, their stocks got a boost, because they are to make medical records digital.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
As a fan of sci-fi of the Star Trek variety, this strikes me as a not-entirely terrible idea. It's completely unfeasible at this point in time, because we just don't have the proper security systems to keep identities from being stolen through the system. Plus we don't have the tech to, you know, actually implement it.

Think about it: if this were to get implemented, you could access any device or account you own with no hassle whatsoever. No one else could hack into those without hacking your very identity first. It would make most of life a LOT easier.

But it would take away a lot of anonymity. That's a whole different problem with it. I'm sure there could be some way around that, though.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Even after reading thru everyone else's opinions, I still can't see how this would even be feasible, unless with "the mark of the beast" they somehow barcode or chip us. RFID chips :shk:

If we lose the "device" we can't get into anything. Whoever finds it, or steals it, might be able to get into everything. Where is the privacy issue, and protection? That is the reason for access codes/passwords. There is already tons of data on all our cards with the strip on it, and we still need an access code. They already know where we are at all times if we have a cellphone, or any vehicle that has a computer system, which is most of them, since the 80s.

In the movies, when someone has strict access thru fingerprints or eye reading, people start losing body parts. Sure all in good fun til someone loses an eye.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
As a fan of sci-fi of the Star Trek variety, this strikes me as a not-entirely terrible idea. It's completely unfeasible at this point in time, because we just don't have the proper security systems to keep identities from being stolen through the system. Plus we don't have the tech to, you know, actually implement it.

Think about it: if this were to get implemented, you could access any device or account you own with no hassle whatsoever. No one else could hack into those without hacking your very identity first. It would make most of life a LOT easier.

But it would take away a lot of anonymity. That's a whole different problem with it. I'm sure there could be some way around that, though.

0-o

They might aswell forget about the pleasantry's and let them burn a barcode in our necks.

Receiving such a ID form a "trusted" authority (Banks ?*?) should be enuogh to not want and trust this,ever.I cannot imagine why anyone would let them create and therefore know your digital ID wich you use for your banking,emailing,social networking etc..

And like you just said.If they want to hack into your bank acount or email acount ppl would have to hack your entire identity wich woulf be the only option.Hacking will always excist and in this scenario hackers are forced to steal your entire identity.Also the authorities that created that identity for you have acces to it from day one and will from there on know when you for instance login to ATS or your bank acount ,even see your bank acounts, read your mails if they feel they have a reason to do so.

Think about it.It is already very easy to mark any citizen as a suspected terrorist and thanks to the patriot act they can pretty much do anything they want to you.I cannot for the life of me think why anyone would give them so much potential (and likely) power only to be rid of the "hassle" of login in with user names and passwords.

Using the internet or buying a phone and taking a picture will never ever be anonymous or private ever again and once the system is in place,it will never be reversable again.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Between this and so many other things and my wonderful experience
with the DMV today, I really just want to move somewhere else.

How in any way is this is even legal? Don't we have a right to privacy?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join