It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A plague of locusts!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
First, a bit of somewhat recent news:
'Biblical' Bug Invasion Hits California: Grasshopers Chew Through Bushes, Other Plants

Locusts can be bad news. Just ask Joel. They have a disturbing way of "transforming" themselves from cute, loveable grasshopers to savage, toothy, swarming eating machines:

Research at Oxford University has identified that swarming behaviour is a response to overcrowding. Increased tactile stimulation of the hind legs causes an increase in levels of serotonin. This causes the locust to change color, eat much more, and breed much more easily. The transformation of the locust to the swarming variety is induced by several contacts per minute over a four-hour period. It is estimated that the largest swarms have covered hundreds of square miles and consisted of many billions of locusts.
Source here

The Locust plague of 1915 impacted global food prices. According to the New York Times, in the wake of the aforementioned incident, "Potatoes are six times the ordinary price. Sugar and petroleum are unprocurable and money has ceased to circulate." During the dust bowl era they were quite a problem in the US as well:

After living with drought, dead crops, dust and no money, can you imagine having to deal with plagues of locusts, as well? Nearly annual infestations of grasshoppers by the billions added to the misery of life during the Dust Bowl. One woman related the story of how when she was a little girl, the grasshoppers completely consumed her beloved lacey denim jacket, leaving only the brass buttons. One young man told about how he and his buddies would bet matchsticks on how long it would take a grasshopper to eat a weed down to the ground.

The grasshoppers ate lawns in Denver, stripped the cattle grazing areas northwest of Ft. Collins and chewed 50 acres of beans down to bare ground. They sometimes moved as fast as a mile and a half a day. People spoke of seeing the ground "moving, alive, crawling." Some small-town main streets were blanketed with marching grasshoppers. When the billions of grasshoppers took to the sky, they would practically black out the sun.

More at source:
www.rmpbs.org...

Nasty business indeed. Wouldn't a massive plague of locusts just be the cherry on the doom cake at this point?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Ok, you're weirding me out here. Glad I'm not in California. Man, I can't imagine that many grasshoppers.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Gee I live in rural Northern California - a lot of agriculture here, and I've not seen one single grasshapper this year!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Better get netting set up if you are growing in the area, they can get to gardens and just destroy everything.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
We already had these in Australia around Easter. There was so many of them that when I was driving it sounded like it was raining heavily when really it was just the locusts hitting my windscreen. This was in residential streets too.

I'd never seen anything like it. They were literally everywhere.

[edit on 27/6/10 by Nventual]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I live in N GA and every night the grasshoppers are going crazy here! I have never seen so many at one time, and they are eating up even the rose bushes! But come daylight they just dissappear. Small green grasshoppers, it is the weirdest thing, I have worked this nightshift for a few years, and never until this year have I gone out at night to a sight like this!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Wouldn't a massive plague of locusts just be the cherry on the doom cake at this point?

I wonder if there is any evidence that these locasts have been bio-engineered and intentionally released.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
First, a bit of somewhat recent news:
Grasshopers Chew Through Bushes

We tried to tell George he and his family they better change their ways.
Now look at what happened, locust chewed through their family apparently.

new topics

top topics

join