It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Arkansas Earthquakes in 2 days?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Well, that is great news! The scientists are taking it seriously, they aren't ruling out man-made causes, and they are putting in more sensors to get more data! Awesome.

I am looking forward to see how this unfolds, as long as it doesn't unfold with a major earthquake.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Hahaha. Yeah, I didn't mean the caves were wrong, I know they exist, I was just saying that aliens making them seems a little crazy. Who knows though, maybe they are among us. lol.

Also, glad to see the scientists taking it seriously also. Its been fairly consistent so it would be pretty sad if they didn't. Still I wonder if underground nuclear testing can cause new fault lines to be created. I saw the glacier break b/c of that squirrel's nut in Ice Age, I know that it can happen in reality too. haha.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I had a huge amount of text written out, made one small slip of the mouse and lost the lot! It will take me while to gather it back up again.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
I had a huge amount of text written out, made one small slip of the mouse and lost the lot! It will take me while to gather it back up again.

Happens to me quite frequently. Or I hit the button and it locks up, no way to recover or go back. I have gotten now where I highlight the whole thing, hit Control C to copy it before I hit anything else. Still doesn't always save my work though.

One day I also thought I was hitting "See all Subscriptions" but turns out those little red letters say "delete all subscriptions." I still haven't found some of my favorite threads!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
For a few years I have had a dream that I am driving around near some soybean fields or some flat place such as this when all the power lines fall. There are also snakes in the road and crawling around on the ground.

I live in Arkansas, so I have always thought this meant we'd be getting something one day. In my dream it is enough to down power lines and has an effect on animals such as snakes or other creatures low to the ground.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
OK, I'll try again! The area of the main body of the quakes appears to be concentrated in a single geological formation known as Atoka formation. This particular area is Atoka middle which is sandstone with bands of shale.

It took me some time to find a suitable online geological map of the area but it is a huge pdf file that takes absolutely ages to move around so if you just want to see the map to get an idea this link is a jpg version or you might prefer this on About.com

Once I had the map I had to create an overlay from the Google Earth information. This I have done. The area of interest is this on the Geologic map.

The green area is where on the combination overlay below the earthquakes are centred. You can see from this that it all falls in the Pam (Atoka middle) formation.

The 3.3 quake lies on a raised area which appears to be a ridge that runs on from the dam which is located at 35.228N, 91.94705W (These co-ordinates do work in GE)

If you look on the overlay above you can see the dam centre left between the black lines above (normal faults) and the red line below (thrust fault).

Apart from that the area seems flat and relatively featureless. It is difficult to determine how agricultural it is as the GE shots were taken in the winter of 2006. To the right of the area appears to lie the residential edge of Searcy, which may well have extended further west by now.

I note that since I created and lost my last 'masterpiece' ThaLoccster has posted the article saying that geologists are installing a temporary sensor just west of Searcy to record seismic activity. This can only be a good thing as I can see no immediately apparent reason for this swarm from the topography/geology.

Possible causes could be

• A fault extending
  • Ground settling if there is water extraction
  • Movement due to liquid pressure - gas?
  • Movement due to lack of liquid pressure - drought?

I shall be interested to hear the results. By the way I think those caves are too far away.

Edit to revise the Lat/Lon to hit the dam.

[edit on 29/6/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Last update for today, no new quakes. Just out of curiosity, why do you rule out underground nuclear testing?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I think the quakes are too shallow (100m) to be caused by any underground nuke tests. And it is really the depth that interest me plus that the quakes are quite close together. Like a mini swarm.

[edit on 29/6/2010 by Roald]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by memarf1

Last update for today, no new quakes. Just out of curiosity, why do you rule out underground nuclear testing?

As Roald says - too shallow and in any event a check on ANSS for nuclear /mine blasts using the same criteria as the quakes produces this:

Your search parameters are:

* catalog=ANSS
* start_time=2002/01/01,00:00:00
* end_time=2010/07/01,02:12:02
* minimum_magnitude=0
* maximum_magnitude=10
* event_type=B
* delta=0 km to 20 km from (35.232,-91.847)

No matches to your search criteria

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Well, according to intellicast there hasn't been any activity? Odd cluster of small Earthquakes at extremely shallow depth in an entirely new area, and then they stop as quickly as they started?

Very odd? I will continue to watch.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Well, according to intellicast there hasn't been any activity? Odd cluster of small Earthquakes at extremely shallow depth in an entirely new area, and then they stop as quickly as they started?

Very odd? I will continue to watch.

It's kinda dark in here...let's shine a little light on the subject...shall we?

Maybe there's a cover-up? Being 100 kilometers away from the N/S New Madrid, the 7-mile long E/W faultline could, in effect, cause a double whammy earthquake.

Here is something I found about recent activity in the New Madrid fault area, most likely seismic activity...

"I live on the New Madrid Fault. And I can tell you this.

The surface rupture of the roads and highways is out of control.

Also, everyday of the week the structure of my Mom's home is "cracking" and shifting. You can hear the walls and the surface crack.

Nearby is a Dollar General Store. In that parking lot there are 3 flagpoles that "vibrate" violently. (not shaking from wind) Each and everyday, the roads "blow" up potholes. U.S. 41 is ruptured severely.

Interstate 65 is also badly damaged. They keep trying to repave them but it doesn't work.

The Cline Ave bridge at points is closing.

This bridge and off ramps leads right into Inland Steel and LTV Steel and BP Amoco.

So far, I believe 5-7 bridges have been shut down or are scheduled for closing because they are unsafe.

I monitor the earthquakes daily. And as you know there are far too many happening too quickly."

Posted June 29, 2010 - not sure when the email received.

www.rumormillnews.com...

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Antoniastar]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If a big enough earthquake goes off in the Little Rock area than the evac area for the Gulf of Mexico disaster will most likely be extended...

Talk about timing...wow.

www.morningliberty.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Antoniastar

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Seems all over the place, did that person give a location?

The highways mentioned are largely in Kentucky, off of the fault but still close enough for effects.

Cline Ave is in Nashville, Tennessee.

Inland Steel is a defunct company since 1998, based in Chicago.

LVT Steel is based in Ohio.

EDIT:

Realized I typoed LVT and it should be LTV, nonetheless LTV Steel is defunct since 2001, based in Dallas.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Seems all over the place, did that person give a location?

The highways mentioned are largely in Kentucky, off of the fault but still close enough for effects.

Cline Ave is in Nashville, Tennessee.

Inland Steel is a defunct company since 1998, based in Chicago.

LVT Steel is based in Ohio.

EDIT:

Realized I typoed LVT and it should be LTV, nonetheless LTV Steel is defunct since 2001, based in Dallas.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by ThaLoccster]

Hi ThaLoccster,

Don't know what to make of it either. And I didn't have time to check its validity.
Thank you for taking the time to check out "xxx" claims.

Apparently the author of the email says he/she is in Northwest Indiana.

U.S. 41 and Interstate 65 both run through Indiana...

"Main article: U.S. Route 41 in Indiana
In the state of Indiana, US 41 runs from the Ohio River south of Evansville to Chicago with US 12 and US 20 beneath the termini of the Chicago Skyway and the Indiana Toll Road."

en.wikipedia.org...

"Main article: Interstate 65 in Indiana
Interstate 65 enters the Hoosier state at Jeffersonville and Clarksville."

en.wikipedia.org...

Sounds like the Cline Avenue Bridge has been a problematic bridge from the beginning. So it would be one of the first structures to be affected by tremors. The Cline Ave. bridge is located in the state of Indiana.

"Indiana won't rebuild Cline Ave. Bridge"

"...INDOT believes will be good for the economy in northwest Indiana."
abclocal.go.com.../local&id=7388965

As far as the Inland Steele Company...

"The Inland Steel Company was a U.S. steel company active in 1893-1998. Its history as an independent firm thus spanned much of the 20th century. It was headquartered in Chicago, Illinois at the landmark Inland Steel Building.

Inland Steel was an integrated steel company that reduced iron ore to steel. Its sole steel mill was located in East Chicago, Indiana, on the Indiana Harbor and Ship Canal and a large landfill protruding out into Lake Michigan."

en.wikipedia.org...

East Chicago, Indiana is located in Lake County, Indiana and Lake County is a county located in the U.S. state of Indiana.

East Chicago is a city in Lake County, Indiana.
en.wikipedia.org...

Lake County is a county located in the U.S. state of Indiana.
en.wikipedia.org...

Okay now regarding "LTV Steel and BP Amoco", here's what I found...

I lived in Griffith, Indiana from 1994 until 1998. My neighbors worked at Inland Steel, LTV Steel and Amoco. My son Conor's buddy Frankie Alvarez's Dad was an Amoco Firefighter - yes, they had their own fire department. Amoco had a Piper Cub plane that used to buzz the pipelines along Chicago Avenue in East Chicago with a gas leak detector. Pechous, Danyanovich, Colley, and so many other families took Cline Avenue North to Whiting's Amoco works. Thousands of Indiana and Illinois people work there.

hickeysite.blogspot.com...

"EAST CHICAGO, Ind., Nov. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) subsidiary Primary Energy, Inc. and LTV Steel Co. today announced that they have signed an agreement to develop, engineer and construct a blast furnace gas-fired cogeneration facility at LTV's East Chicago plant." 1999

www.encyclopedia.com...

And here's another connection between BP, Amoco Oil and LTV...

"AMOCO OIL CO (2500 NEW YORK AVE in WHITING, IN)

STATE MASTER (Indiana facility tracking)
(Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (tracking hazardous waste))
Organizations: LTV STEEL CO (CONTACT/OWNER)"

webcache.googleusercontent.com...:OYGG-gYhXOEJ:www.city-data.com/zips/46394.html+LTV+Steel+and+BP+Amoco&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#ix zz0sP8BVead

webcache.googleusercontent.com...:OYGG-gYhXOEJ:www.city-data.com/zips/46394.html+LTV+Steel+and+BP+Amoco&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Could "Bob" be "xxx"? I know there's a Bob that posts regularly from Rumermillnews.com And Bob addresses his 'email'? to "Raye" and Rayelan is the owner of Rumormillnews.com. The following article link leads to an article that is, I think, exactly the same as the 'email' that I posted here. Hmmmm...

"Report FROM New Madrid Fault area: The surface rupture of the roads and highways is out of control. IN DEPTH REPORT"
peopleforfreedom.com...

Also posted here...
fourwinds10.com...

Also posted here...
www.godlikeproductions.com...

How strange that the trail leads to BP and oil and earthquakes. Remember the Haitian earthquake? There were oil reserves to be had there.

Isn't LTV in bankruptcy? That's what it states on their website. Bankruptcy for a company like that most likely is normal operating procedure, especially if the company plans to merge or start under a new name. It doesn't necessarily mean the LTV is "defunct". Maybe xxx meant that the bridge leads to BP, Amoco Oil and LTV...not just physically but in other ways as well?

Toni

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Antoniastar]

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Antoniastar]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I believe the quakes in White County are related to natural gas drilling. The reason why I believe that, is the fact that the quakes are shallow. If the quakes are occurring deep in the ground, it would likely eliminate natural gas drilling as a possible contributor. And as far as I know, natural gas drilling seems to be such a booming industry there that landowners are more than willing to lease their mineral rights to drilling companies.

White County is also one of 10 counties within the Fayetteville Shale, where there are more than 2,000 wells drilling for natural gas.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Man I LOVE ATS!!

You guys are awesome. I always know that ATS has the best and brightest and that although there are some crazy claims and theories on aliens and hollow earth and whatever else, there area also people that research and dig and find all the facts and connections and formulate hardened theories!

Thank you for everyone's participation in this thread. I grew up on the Missouri/Arkansas/Oklahoma/Kansas border in the "Four State Area." The New Madrid Fault was always a concern for us. Now I live on the Gulf Coast and we have more immediate problems to deal with! It seems folks are being hammered from all sides with Man-made and Natural disasters, plus economic ones. Most interestingly though, all the disasters have connections back to big business! BP, Haliburton, Goldman Sachs, etc., etc. What the hell is going on with that? Earthquakes, financial crisis, oil spills, wars, and they all point back in one direction to one source?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Well I find it less valid, Indiana is quite far from the New Madrid Seismic zone.

Great research though.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
~Deleted due to ATSer-oversensitivity~

2nd line

[edit on 1-7-2010 by starsyren]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by starsyren

And that has what exactly to do with earthquakes in Arkansas?

You're obviously no better than those you mock, since you are in Wal Mart with them.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Wow, 4 more so far today, 1 near Fort Smith, 2 near Oklahoma city and 1 northwest(although a bit farther away) of Plano/Dallas area! Seems a small circle is forming that connects to the Oil Spill in the Gulf!

www.intellicast.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join