It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanic hydrocarbon vents. some facts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
questions about the lighting and the "molten look" of a few days ago of the plume.
I have been looking for the last couple days at saved shots of the plume and photos of hydrothermal vents and the resemblance is fairly damning.

First let me address the yellow orange plume that seems to darken in the water. IMO we are seeing Fe III oxide (red) converting to FE II oxide at the reduced pressure of the well head. It is reverting back to the more stable in sea water Fe III form giving us the red oil we are seeing is basically full of rust.
What I am concluding from the available data is the gusher is a hydrocarbon version of a black smoker. the large amounts of Iron and the high concentrations of H2S as well as the large amounts of particulate matter is we may well have fueled the hydraulic infiltration of the well area during the original fracturing many months ago
the result is due to the fractured well casing has allowed a hydrothermal circulation loop which is intersecting with the well and adding a mix of dense brine, hot water, Iron,sulfides and other volcanic gasses into the already massive ejection of the original hydrocarbons.
I should state that even though volcanic it is NOT a volcano it is a natural process by which the ocean water infiltrates a fracture zone, is warmed and rises to the surface.
the well is in a fracture zone which accesses a strata @ ~400c. At this temp it can in no way boil at the extreme depth so becomes a unrelenting solvent which will find the path of least resistance. In this case the fractured well casing
This goes a long way toward explaining the pressure burp which failed the operation as the heat from the water has likely destroyed a number of clathrate deposits in the local region feeding the seepage as well as the vast volume flowing from the well head.
That this is NOT a usual gusher should be evident by the red oil and "smoking" particulate matter.
The rapid changes in flows we see are also indicative of a volcanic component to the overall output of this gushing problem as as chambers of hot water are depleted they take time to refill much as a geyser does when the pressure is great enough we see the well boil madly then as it is relieved it quiets slightly. That there may well be several "feeds" to this mechanism as the are is riddled with salt domes and clathrates which would be rapidly displaced by sea water infiltrating a fault.
In almost every comparison between a black smoker and this plume the only difference is the visible oil globs and gas other wise it has all the classic look of a black smoker vent.
I know all the mechanisms already exist to complete this theory and the geology of the area seems to be ideal for such to occur.
I hope to gather others thoughts on this possibility and the implications of a steady pressure supply to this gusher.
N.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
"... unrelenting solvent..." sounds like the fissures/fractures will only increase in size as this hydrocarbon and brine soup continues to erode the surrounding structure.

join