It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill Mapping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I was looking through some of my links and ran across this site..

Gulf Oil Spill Mapping

Using cameras on kites and balloons, they are attempting to map areas of the Gulf and the oil spill. They have some great photos and it is a great idea.

Here is a link to their flickr site and some related links.

Flickr: BP Oil Spill Map

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6bd598c4dda2.jpg[/atsimg]

Related links

Grassroots Mapping
1337arts

Related ATS thread...

MIT students photograph Earth from Space

[edit on 6/27/2010 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
wow.

great shots at that flickr link. great project. Thanks for the headsup.

farm5.static.flickr.com...

edit: hmmmmm... need to go learn how to embed a photo i guess...

[edit on 27-6-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

You can quote this post and see the tags to do it. Although from flickr it doesn't show the photo, just a "Link to external image", image.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Well, its a damn good image. Maybe someone more advanced than i can post it.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Here you go..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/896157f26736.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thanks for that. I have to say, its very inspiring to see independent journalists getting the shots anyway.

those talking heads supporting a haircut should take note.

There are some great images on that flickr feed.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Horrible.

Who thinks the relief wells aren't going to work?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
maybe OP should put some ALL CAPS and "DANGER" in the title to generate some reads?

those pics are VERY helpful.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Hi I'm new here and have been reading posts for a long time but finally decided to join in. I am not sure where this post belongs so I hope no one gets miffed. I heard a few weeks back that a box approximately the size of a refrigerator with BP on it washed ashore somewhere in Florida. I never heard anything else. I imagine it came off the rig during the explosion... Just curious.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I don't understand the lack of replies or interest.

These people are independantly documenting the oil spill and have taken some of the best photos I've seen to date.

Maybe I should have used some exclamation points and "action" words.

I wonder if they are doing the same idea, with video.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I could only find one video on youtube...

He explains hows there is an apparent media blackout in the area, so its up to independant people to document and spread the word of the disaster. He explains how the process works and asks for people to get involved. Get a kite and a camera and help map the area, he explains the pretty low cost of everything and asks if you can't come down and help to help in some way.

I think I'll send the last 10$ I have in my paypal account. It seems like sending it to them, would probably do a greater good than sending it anywhere else.

Atleast to them it'll go towards resources that are helping to tell the tale that the media isn't telling anyone.

But if this thread is representative of the amount of interest in what they are doing....I don't know but I don't see it faring well.

People are constantly wanting a chance to help, and exclaiming at the chances that are rebuked. But here is a real chance to do something. Even if its only helping to get the story out so people know the full extent of whats going on, it seems with the clampdown on the areas affected things like this may be one of the only ways.

It's obvious people aren't going to be a part of the clean up, or be able to walk around documenting whats going on.

Here's to somebody doing something. Lets just hope more people do the same.

[edit on 6/28/2010 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
S&F Those are some great pics and well worth the time to look through. Its great to see innovation at work to show the world what the media has failed to display.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by strangefires

I thought it was great to see someone doing something real towards letting people know whats going on. I wish I lived closer, I'd love to be involved with this project.

I don't really have all the supplies, but I'm going to try to get a "mapping" project going. Mainly for fun, and it seems like a novel idea. I live right beside the boundaries of a national park, and there are always deer and other animals grazing the area. I think it would be cool to get a camera up over them on a kite snapping pictures.

And overall the idea is applicable in a lot of situations. It could be used to get "in" many places you otherwise aren't allowed.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Great ideas and thank you for posting this, I am grateful for the diverse thinking that we as humans have and act on.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. Great pics, and thank goodness more folks are out there bypassing normal means and getting pics anyway.

S & F

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Awesome thread

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

I agree. The photos are some of the most revealing i've seen thus far. Maybe you should draw a ufo in them to get some people looking at those amazing images.

There was a great interview on the cbc today with a photographer who got some sort of renegade pilot to fly him over the spill area. Wish i could find the damn thing online.

He described one picture as being taken from high enough you could see the curvature of the earth, with oil as far as the eye can see.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
bumpity bump.

bump

top topics

join