It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calling "Bluff" Of Those Complaining About Debt He Created

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

President Obama on controlling the debt: "Somehow people say, why are you doing that, I'm not sure that's good politics. I'm doing it because I said I was going to do it and I think it's the right thing to do. People should learn that lesson about me because next year when I start presenting some very difficult choices to the country, I hope some of these folks who are hollering about deficits and debt step-up because I'm calling their bluff. We'll see how much of that, how much of the political arguments that they're making right now are real and how much of it was just politics."

Source

What do you think of this? More taxes coming our way? Is this the heralding of a preplanned double dip recession for next year?

This came out during the G20 summit where they also discussed no nation having any advantage over another for economic recovery. Scary times ahead.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
well yeah more taxes are totaly logical... how else do we pay that debt off, unless Obama is in with the "conspiracy" crowd and going to tell the fed reserve to F off.. and i highly doubt that.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
well yeah more taxes are totaly logical... how else do we pay that debt off, unless Obama is in with the "conspiracy" crowd and going to tell the fed reserve to F off.. and i highly doubt that.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
So how are all the unemployed youngsters going to pay off the debt when there is no jobs?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gmoneycricket

Federal indentured servitude, work camps, who knows. I can say this much, it won't be good, and certainly wont be 'American.'

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

S&F,
I flipped the channel just as that was rolling on the bottom ticker, I'm glad someone else got it on the boards.

Time will tell, WTF else are we in for?

People should learn that lesson about me because next year when I start presenting some very difficult choices to the country,

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

People should learn that lesson about me because next year when I start presenting some very difficult choices to the country,

Implying he hasn't already.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

People should learn that lesson about me because next year when I start presenting some very difficult choices to the country

Sounds like classic Problem=Reaction=Solution to me.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Um, there is a solution that the President and Federal Government can do, course it would mean that they would have to take a month, do an audit and then take the time to not only come up with a functional budget, but also turn around and stick to it. One will be, look at all of the money going out of the country to different countries, and well cut that out. Another would be to actually start demanding the government do their job, no more grants, no more pork, no more excess funding for programs that the government can not afford to be spending on. Stepping back and letting their mandated businesses actually make decisions to where they are able to make money, insteady of keeping useless programs that are losing money steadily, cause some congressman may loose out on his district. And I would say make all of the federal government take a massive pay cut, the pay of those in congress based off of an average of what the people in their districts make, instead of a general pay, and forced to pay taxes would be a good start, or go to jail and a large fine like everyone else in the country.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Let them try and raise taxes even more than they are already. Lets see what kind of backlash that will bring.

The vast majority of American's are teetering on the edge right now. If this government, especially Obama has the balls to try and take MORE from us... good luck. I'll be the first to say, it ain't happening. If they can't learn to cut out the unnecessary crap that they keep funding, then they damn well better not come knocking on my door with their hand out.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What this screams of to me is this translation.. Tell me if this is how you guys read this..

"Yes, I've extended the operating cost of the federal government to twice what it was before I came to office. I did this because my personal opinions of how this country should be run is the right thing to do regardless of the constitutionality of said opinions. In order to pay for these things, we will have to place new taxes and levies on the people of this country. If you really want the debt to be reigned in, you will vote for these new taxes. You will be deemed hypocrites for giving me such a hard time if you do not vote and rally behind my new tax policies."

Does that sum it up about right?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Actually.. it sounds more like "I'm gonna do what I want, when I want, how I want... what are you gonna do about it??"

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
to me is sounds like were screwed along with the rest of the world economies among other things, and he knows it, and isn't saying anything directly.

Second line

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville

Genius idea!

.....Except reality and history indicates that raising taxes lowers revenue generated from taxes due to economic stagnation caused by overtaxing.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Typical politics.

Obama wants a ton of democrats to lose in November. He wants the republicans to win control of one branch of congress. That way he can propose a bunch of crazy policys that will be voted down and then blame them for the poor economy, working that blame game into the 2012 election.

Now he is out demanding shared sacrifice from the G20, essentially saying that it is not fair if one country gets their act together before the rest of the world (that speach was essentially to Germany who is refusing to spend more money and create more public debt).

He'll propose some radical cuts and tax increases tha he knows will get voted down and then push through some marginal items that will have no substantial impact.

In other words, he be a typical politician.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I'm not afraid of taxes. I'm sorry you all are.

With that said I can't wait for next year, this is one of the reasons I voted for him, the genuine belief that he can push reality onto political pandering. You can't complain about reduced spending (as far as defense goes) and then demand lower taxes, or vote against a stimulus package then ask for money from it to pump money into your district so your voters keep their jobs.

Do I think higher taxes are on the way? It's possible. Do I think drastic reduction in spending in certain sectors on the way? I believe it's very likely.

Finally, what's with sdcigarpig saying politicians don't pay taxes? Is that incorrect belief still flying around?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
I'm not afraid of taxes. I'm sorry you all are.

Courage and intelligence are not the same thing.

For example, I could proclaim to the world that I am a fool and a mark, or I could say that I think higher taxes are good and nothing to be worried about.

Both would accomplish the same goal.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

"Obama wants a ton of democrats to lose in November..."

Umm, I'm not sure which Obama you've been watching, but the hyper-partisan egomaniac Obama which inhabits 1600 PA ave does not think his billowing cushion of media fellating will allow any losses this November. He looks at himself in the mirror and thinks "They would never vote against ME!!"

Secondly, higher taxes were baked in the cake since his election. Everyone to the right of Bernie Sanders knew this.

A statist will never cut spending because he attenuates his own power. Cutting the size of government is the solution.

So they will leech more money from the middle class to fund their profligacy. Its better to reduced the citizens' power than the elites'.

Of course, taxing people more reduces economic activity, which reduces gov't tax revenues (the laffer curve).

So we're in a negative feedback loop which ends in depression.

Au, Ag, composite bows, hunting rifles, mountain house canned food and a fine lass to occupy your time all seem like fine investments about now. And maybe you want to scout out where your local deer populations frequent, just in case.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I hope some of these folks who are hollering about deficits and debt step-up because I'm calling their bluff.

Is this like "calling out" the "folks" who said he lied about keeping our insurance policies, or that Obamacare would cut the deficit, or would not adversely affect Medicare/Medicaid?

The specious straw man arguments about "some people" or "these folks" have got to be getting old for some of you, aren't they?

jw

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
He just wants the public to shore up the gambling habbits of walls street and his jewsish banker friends.

Go flog yourself over the back, draw blood if you think pain is going to make it better when it was not you who created this problom.

Audit the Fed, Follow the names and see where they lead.

<<   2 >>

join