It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin of Morality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't agree with the people who use our morals as proof of a God's existence.

Our morals are learned from other people. Whether it be our society, family, friends, or a religion.

People realized that rules were needed if they wanted to continue surviving and living a more worry free life. People realized that there needs to be some kind of order.

Our morals can be explained by our natural ability to have empathy for one another. We are able to see other people as ourselves. However, it's been proven that some people lack that trait. Most people instinctively don't want to be hurt or killed. Empathy is a survival tool.

The need for a God was developed to help with our fear of death. The fear of death is naturally seen as a threat to our survival. The need for a God, just like empathy, is a survival tool we possess. However, just like some people lack empathy, some people lack the need for the comforting feeling that there's something we can always rely on that's bigger than us, and everywhere.

It all comes down to doing what is good for our survival. Our own survival and the survival of the human race. If something is bad for our survival then it's naturally wrong. If something is good for our survival then it's naturally right.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I don't agree with the people who use our morals as proof of a God's existence. "

I never in my life have met any christian who says that. The proof is in the incredibleness of nature. Our bodies. The miracles. Saints seen him. Eacharistic miracles tested by scientists.

Morals are a proof of love which is a reality. A grace. Nobody I know uses that as the sole proof of God which would be kind of silly.

" Our morals are learned from other people. Whether it be our society, family, friends, or a religion. "

"Our morals can be explained by our natural ability to have empathy for one another. We are able to see other people as ourselves. However, it's been proven that some people lack that trait. Most people instinctively don't want to be hurt or killed. Empathy is a survival tool. "

I agree with the first part. Nobody on this Earth is born with morality. It's a grace and it's learned. Learning morals without the feeling is what the first qoute explains. But the first qoute contradicts the second because if every soul had nature empathy towards others, nothing would have to be taught or learned.

which means that love is a grace. It's not in everybody and it's learned. Unless the soul runs on pride and makes love in their life too common. Tuck the kids in, say i love you, hanging with your boys giving them daps. The normal everyday stuff.

And it gets too common, the soul loses their ability to recognize grace in their lives and their defects and their lack of love. And the feelings that enter at certain times which is grace.

But OP I have a problem with this qoute. And I'm not going to come back in this thread and go back and forth with you because it takes the whole thread up.

The need for a God was developed to help with our fear of death. "

The problem is that God wasn't developed but revealed and accompanied by 1,000s of years of miracles and Christ coming to this Earth.

Which you will find out shortly after death. Saints who seen God prophecied and predicted things well before they were invented and certain preist could name all your sins at every hour of your life. Some had that gift.

I myself OP have seen things that cannot be put into words, explained, and impossible in the rhealm of nature. No meditating using the power of the human mind to force a miracle, no no, I'm very sane. Just things I wasn't expecting that are incredible. You come over my house, and see what I'm talking about, and you will change instantly.

But besides that, I didn't look for God because of the fear of death.

I believed in God because I knew instinctively which is the case with most souls, even the ones in Africa who don't have TV or any bible, they know instictively that God by the reasons of nature and our bodies, that their is a source behind this.

They just know deep down, most people.

Actually for myself before I knew who God was, I wasn't always a believer, I believed in a God but didn't know who christ was. I NEVER thought of death. I was too buisy trying to have fun for myself never thinking about anything eternal.

So most people are brought to God by nature and that instictive ability to realize the increibleness of life and the miracle of birth and so on. Love, ect....

Not by because I feared death. That would be a stupid reason to create an idea of God. And shallow.

and besides. They would have to create an entire book of lies and rules that would continue for centuries through the ages, and have people falsly talk to someone to keep a lie going.

at the same time write down prohcies which came true which would be Christs prophecies, the way he would die and prophecies having to do with the end times which no person could guess. And write stuff like the predicted fall of the temple.

Sodom and G. Which were studied by scientists and found to be burned at 4,000 degrees by chunks of sulfure.

Stuff like God saying babies would have to be circumsized on the 8th day.

And scientists finding out only in the last century that vitam K which clots the blood is on it's peek at the 8th day and would be the safest time to do the operation.

man cannot know those things without a real God revealing himself to them.

. I agree with one part of your post. Morality is learned. When I was out throwing rocks at peoples heads for fun. I knew this fact.

At some point everybody learns it from somewhere at whatever age it is.

And what grace is is the feeling side of it that goes real deep.

Peace OP>

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I love that sig

God exists because the bible tells me so. How do you know what the bible says is true? Because the bible is the word of God. How do you know that the bible is the word of God? Because the bible tells me so.

How do you know it's not true? because the world tells you so? How do you know the world isn't full of liars who have agendas?

See this qoute can go both ways. And I knew God existed well before I read a page of the bible.

new topics

join