It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison Rape: Scare tactic or reality?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
EDIT- Sorry, internet acted up and caused a double post.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by BlubberyConspiracy]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlubberyConspiracy
It sounds like it could just be scare tactics.

A really effective measure for making homophobic or highly religious criminals less likely to do crimes and end up in jail where they would be 'raped'. (That is suggesting that its male to male rape, like portrayed in popular media)

With popular phrases like 'Don't drop the soap' and movies portraying prison as a place where you are assaulted sexually, I think it could be an effective way to keep some people from committing crimes.

On the other hand, I would think that there are some mentally insane individuals that would sexually assault others, and the fact that they are ALEADY in jail would probably give them more incentive to, excuse my language 'go wild'.

Interesting topic.

Can you intelligently and honestly tell me that in a statistically significant quantity of events where someone is about to commit a crime, they think, "Oh #, if I do this I'll get raped!" and they change their mind about their crime?

Wow. You would win the first nobel prize is psychology if you came out with that study.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

A really effective measure for making homophobic or highly religious criminals less likely to do crimes and end up in jail where they would be 'raped'. (That is suggesting that its male to male rape, like portrayed in popular media)

With popular phrases like 'Don't drop the soap' and movies portraying prison as a place where you are assaulted sexually, I think it could be an effective way to keep some people from committing crimes.

On the other hand, I would think that there are some mentally insane individuals that would sexually assault others, and the fact that they are ALEADY in jail would probably give them more incentive to, excuse my language 'go wild'.

Interesting topic.

Can you intelligently and honestly tell me that in a statistically significant quantity of events where someone is about to commit a crime, they think, "Oh #, if I do this I'll get raped!" and they change their mind about their crime?

Wow. You would win the first nobel prize is psychology if you came out with that study.

Honestly, I couldn't. But I also couldn't tell you in a statistically significant quantity of events when someone decided not to go to the toilet and take a dump because the restroom was too dirty for their likings.

But that does not mean that it isn't plausible.

I'm just brainstorming here after all. I don't think it would be possible to tell what a person is thinking when they did or decided not to do something..

Even with psychology. Psychology is nice and all, but is simply an over generalization of the human psyche. You cannot always successfully predict a humans actions based on statistical facts or generalization based on what most people would do in a situation.. We all do have free will. So what were you thinking when you made your reply to my post?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Interesting topic.

Honestly, I couldn't.

Then you might as well put forward the possibility that people don't want to go to prison because I have an awkward sleep schedule.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Interesting topic.

Honestly, I couldn't.

Then you might as well put forward the possibility that people don't want to go to prison because I have an awkward sleep schedule.

I don't see how that would be relevant though...

I wouldn't think that every criminal knows you personally, and that your sleeping schedule would influence their decisions when they are committing a crime..

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanObanion

Scare Tactic or reality? Are you serious?
Its been a absolute reality for a while and personally I think rape in prison are one of the reasons for the assemilation of groups like the Aryan Nation, and MS-13 and various other gangs.
I don't know why people feel like this is shocking and new. It really isn't. I remember reading a article about a prison here in the US that was seriously considering giving their inmates condoms.
I watched the videos and I think it really is a sad and nasty situation. The guy "Matt" goes on with his life and says his girlfriend is a fox but what about the possible HIV or HERPES he caught from being forcibly entered?

Yeah the problem is these mofos do the nasty in jail and come out STD infested and spread it to everyone.
This is a topic that is weird. Its just sad to me that most men in prison do not live with any kind of code of conduct.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanObanion
the reason i'm having a tough time deciding how much of this is fake is because there are opposing interests.

on the one hand you have the fact that police could use criminals to exaggerate stories to scare people out of coming to prison.

on the other hand there are stories about judges bringing more people to prison for longer to create more jobs and make more money.

i'm not sure exactly what's going on but i'd like some more opinions if people think that video is acting or reality or a combination.

I'm sorry you truly think the people in those "videos", there are many others that I could link you to, are lying?

Okay this is from just about 2 and a half months ago Condom Vending Machine in Prison.

Its a problem. I think what is a little bit sad is in each one of these documentaries that I've seen over the years (believe it or not its a ongoing issue) they say that hmm how shall I put this.

Well statistics claim that the overwhelming majority of inmates committing rape are actually the minority on the outside.

I could go on, but I will say, you shouldn't waste too much time researching such a depressing topic. Just stay in school and stay out of trouble.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by packinupngoin

i never said that rape doesn't exist in prison. i don't see how it couldn't. if you read the OP you can see how i stated my opinion.

again, one of my points is -

if the guys in THAT video are confessing to REAL crimes how can they get away with it? surely common sense would tell you that increases the chances that it's staged.

also, just read some of the previous comments. people have already stated that the whole situation can easily be dependent on the particular prison.

finally, i think prison societies are fascinating in their own way. seeing how humans function under extreme stress for extended durations. it's amazing what these people put up with on a daily basis. for some of these guys it's probably more stress then going to war. watching the reactions of the prisoners during interviews and how the respond to questions is very interesting to me.

i want to know what's really going on. so far it seems that the prison industry is so large that a multitude of things are happening and it's just too big to try and sum up. we're talking about a society with millions of people in it.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I think the latest episode of The Boondocks, A Date with the Booty Warrior (which obviously contains the harshest language of any television series out there, in my opinion), covers this issue well. It may not happen in all prisons, but to say it doesn't happen is ignorant. When you know you'll be in prison the rest of your life, don't have access to chicks, have surging hormones, and have a very thin moral line, it's understandable.

On a side note, during the episode, it showed a short dialogue showing the inmates yelling at a guy who suggested they hurt their hostages, which were children. Without a shadow of a doubt, from my experience on both watching television shows and speaking to homeless folk who just got out of jail, if you harmed or raped a kid and the inmates know about it, there's a really, REALLY good chance that you're going to be raped lots and lots of times. It's just how it works.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I read an article on this just the other day:

www.alternet.org...

If it is as bad as they make out, prison rape sounds bloody terrible!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
There are many things that happen in our world that is hard to believe because it's not widely published.

Prison rape, yeah it happens at some places more than others. The better run & new places probably not as much.

I don't know anything about the validity of your videos, but I do know this story is the real deal.
Here's a true story about prison rape.

One night two guys on the tier, a couple of the wanna-be toughs, passed themselves off as new found friends to the kid by giving him some barbiturates. Once the young man was groggy from the drugs, the two of them went into his open cell and raped him. Then, in an effort to conceal their crime, they made him take a shower. Upon his return to the cell the two of them strangled the kid to death

[edit on 28-6-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I think it mostly fictional and myth , used effectively in the movies..

Just like the myth that in a prison you see BIG BUFF BODY BUILDER TYPE strutting around .. No

For example, how can a male only prison have rape ? most of the inmates are not homosexual and they are not interested in males. Some inmates actually transvestite and these sometimes get raped by other homosexual inmates but certainly not straight male inmates..

unless you got put in a prison full of homosexuals , then the rape possibilities happening to you will be almost certain

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I dropped the soap and nothing happened.

I better alert Snopes.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I know of stories of prison rape, from victims and perpetrators. This one prison in my state has "the bone yard", which is what the "protective custody" wing is so known--rape there is a frequent occurrence. Some victims I have dealt with have caught HIV. Its counter-intuitive to rehabilitation, but the screws (prison guards) do little to stop it and often ignore reports.

In the women's prison here rape is less of an issue, but I have heard a couple of instances.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: RifRAAF
I know of stories of prison rape, from victims and perpetrators. This one prison in my state has "the bone yard", which is what the "protective custody" wing is so known--rape there is a frequent occurrence. Some victims I have dealt with have caught HIV. Its counter-intuitive to rehabilitation, but the screws (prison guards) do little to stop it and often ignore reports.

In the women's prison here rape is less of an issue, but I have heard a couple of instances.

inmates with high risk of being attacked usually put on solitary wing for certain periods.. like celebrities or NAMBLA participant

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: IvanObanion

I was in grade school back in the late 90s. I was occasionally bullied and was relatively free to fight without any real severe punishment, at most getting a few days of in-school suspension. |

Then one day in 7th grade I was sent to the the principal's office for getting in a scuffle with one of the 'preppy' kids during PE.

That same day Columbine happened.

I was immediately labeled with numerous 'issues' by a school counselor, who used everything in her arsenal to have me sent to a county academy shortly after the fight. There I witnessed some of the most disturbing and violent actions one can imagine being done by children to other children.

My first night there I watched a kid get gang-raped. I also saw another get beat with a piece of pipe pulled off of one of the old military style bunk beds.

I also had a friend several years ago that worked at a medium security prison. One of the most interesting stories he told me was of one inmate's revenge. For several weeks a new inmate, a lanky, 40'ish white male was being passed around against his will and apparently one day he had enough. One evening while on kitchen duty he was raped in the washroom. After the assailant finished he turned to walk away the guy snapped, savagely beat the rapist with a broomstick, then broke it in half over his knee, rammed the ~30" piece of wood, splintered end first, up his ass.

Rape indeed happens in institutions.

edit on 15-7-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lipton
One evening while on kitchen duty he was raped in the washroom. After the assailant finished he turned to walk away the guy snapped, savagely beat the rapist with a broomstick, then broke it in half over his knee, rammed the ~30" piece of wood, splintered end first, up his ass.

This feels like a made up story . if he got the strength to hit back and destroy his alleged rapist, why cant he defend himself against the alleged rape ? im sorry this is not logical

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: milomilo
No you misunderstand "protective custody". IE: Dogs and tamps. That is why it is the "bone yard". That wing is NAMBLA and the like. Tho there is a dedicated "minor" sex offender prison, the voilent offenders go to the bone yard...

...and the snitches. But that is here with our institutionalised corruption.

edit on 15-7-2014 by RifRAAF because: spelling

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: RifRAAF
No you misunderstand "protective custody". IE: Dogs and tamps. That is why it is the "bone yard". That wing is NAMBLA and the like. Tho there is a dedicated "minor" sex offender prison, the voilent offenders go to the bone yard...

...and the snitches. But that is here with our institutionalised corruption.

if i have to guess, the most suspect group of the criminal rape / sexual violence perpetrator in prison would be the guards.. it is a prison and if there is a sexual/rape crime happening between inmates, that must be in somekind of approval by the guards.. heck they practically ruled the place..

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Nothing at all fictional about it.

First you have to understand that there is a percentage of folks who have little if any inhibitions left and they end up in prison. In the free world when they have a need for drugs, food, rent or sex they find a weak point and they take it. They don't look for a job unless one considers robbery or burglary a job and many of them will rape anytime they see an opportunity where they cannot be physically stopped - thus in prison it continues. It is what is.

There is no barrier of homosexuality or not, just plain and simple sexual gratification (domination perhaps) and anything artificial, human or otherwise to fulfill that need if the opportunity arises.

Most prisons are like small towns, but movements (going from one place to another) are limited to a dozen or so a day instead of 24/7 in the free world. Though less so in modern facilities there are always blind spots where any type of confrontation (threats, shakedowns, beatings, robbery, rape) can take place. Many of the guards are indifferent to many problems and just want to perform duties they have to collect a check - so intervention is often not available immediately. Also, the prospect of going to the man for help could jeopardize your future status with your comrades thus it is nothing more than a game with very limited moves that may count at a later date. So, the predators roam the yards and hallways of their prison looking for easy prey - usually choosing smaller people and those with more feminine qualities when it comes to rape.

Just watch locked up to get the rated G version of what goes on and look around and use your imagination. Prison is subtle planned torture, 1500 watt lights left on for days because union rules don't let guards touch a broken light panel - always on Fridays prior to 3-day weekends when union electricians are out until Tuesday . Chemicals unfit for humans added to boilers that allow water to heat more cheaply . Heat turned up full blast on a hot sunny day with air vents closed off, no heat when it is freezing out with not enough insulation to stop you from shivering and big old rape gangs waiting for you to take a wrong turn or catch the flu or food poising.
edit on 7/26/14 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join