It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Computer Getting closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (June 27, 2010) — An Australian National University-led team has developed the most efficient quantum memory for light in the world, taking us closer to a future of super-fast computers and communication secured by the laws of physics.

They are apparently using crystals to do so.

Sounds like something from Krypton. ( Superman's home planet with kryptonians that used crystals to store information and build continents and such.)

This also reminds me of something I saw on the history channel show ancient aliens.

The Aztec Crystal Skulls.

These things were supposedly used to store knowledge and information alike.

www.npr.org...

Walsh needed someone to help analyze the skull, so she took it to Margaret Sax at the British Museum in London. Sax is an expert on markings from carving and polishing. She examined the tool marks under a powerful scanning electron microscope, just as she had done with another big crystal skull her museum had owned for over a century. It, too, was supposed to be ancient Mexican. But just like the British specimen, Walsh's artifact wasn't authentic. "The tool marks on both the Smithsonian skull and the British Museum skull were clearly produced by wheel cutting," she says, "and so we are able to say they are of post-Columbian date." The marks' shape, depth and surface texture indicated the skulls had been made by rotary tools, and no one in Central or South America was known to have those until Europeans arrived.

Though they are known to be fake these things really do intrigue me on how much scientific basis they could have had if they were real.

Any thoughts ATS?

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I kept wondering when this technology would come about. I heard about it several years ago. Man, there will have to be a slow introduction because so many things(hardware/software and vernacular) will become obsolete.
I love when notions from so long ago(crystal power) become validated with modern science.

Additional info:

TextSo far, successful demonstrations1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 of non-classical storage and on-demand recall have used atomic vapours and have been limited to low efficiencies, of less than 17 per cent, using weak quantum states with an average photon number of around one. Here we report a low-noise, highly efficient (up to 69 per cent) quantum memory for light that uses a solid-state medium. The device allows the storage and recall of light more faithfully than is possible using a classical memory, for weak coherent states at the single-photon level through to bright states of up to 500 photons. For input coherent states containing on average 30 photons or fewer, the performance exceeded the no-cloning limit. This guaranteed that more information about the inputs was retrieved from the memory than was left behind or destroyed, a feature that will provide security in communications applications. - Nature

www.nature.com...

We will need this speed and processing capability because the amount of info is exploding. In this vid, the information is doubling every 18 months now. By 2012 info will double everyday, then minute, then seconf, then nano second by the end of 2012. Should be interesting times....
Robert Anton Wilson - Information Explosion

Thanks for the post!
Peace

[edit on 27-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
one step closer to superman

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
one step closer to superman

I know huh!