It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Various information on the American armed forces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I have interest in joining a branch in the U.S military soon. Haven't decided which one. But I'm looking for information on all of them. training, weapons, etc. This sounds like the best place for information on the American armed forces. How do you shoot a gun as well? I have never shot a gun.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Well lemme address the shooting first. If you have never fired a weapon before, don't learn in the civilian world before you go to the military. The military will teach you from the ground up and turn you into an effective shot one way or the other. Civilian instruction is a little different than combat instruction. Not on the basics per se, but just trust me, military WILL teach you, and you won't have to pay

Secondly, it really depends on what you want to do in the way of an MOS (job classification). Infantry, special forces, getting muddy and bloody then the Marines or the U.S. Army would probably be up your alley.
Marines webiste
U.S. Army
Now these 2 branches also have flight and other job classes outside of infantry classifications.

Now if you are more interested in piloting or driving multimillion dollar vehicles or looking for an engineering path, then the Navy or the Air Force would be suitable
U.S. Navy
U.S. Air Force

Now understand these sites will give you a good overview of the services however these ARE recruitment sites and generally only show the bright side of things. Also the recruiters are very good at the MOS bait and switch game. Where they promise you one job class at recruitment and sign-up, but after basic the job-class is full. Go ahead and request to take the ASVAB(military aptitude test) from your school or the local recruiter. It will give you some idea of your aptitudes in the service and what MOS's you are qualified for.
Last but not least is the U.S. Coast Guard: U.S. Coast Guard
Your best bet if you want the officer ranks and flying or higher level job classes is to take 4 years of college. You can take college classes while you are enlisted, assuming you aren't in a combat situation. But once you have a degree you can apply for OCS (Officer candidate school). Hope this helps. Just keep your wits about you and ASK QUESTIONS. Recruiters like to promise # that they can't deliver.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i would advise against joining any branch of the U.S or for that matter any country's military. trust me, you do not want to fight for them. Those in power don't care about you or your family, they just want to use you to further their own agendas. I also don't believe anyone in the U.S right now understands why we are even fighting a war in the middle east. What would you do if a bunch of foreign soldiers started marching through your 'hood making demands of you and killing all those who refused to co operate? I know I'd fight back. I humbly ask that you save your talents and skills for when the general public will actually need them from you. If you want to fight for your country and defend its honor, petition congress for a redress of grievances because I'm sure you know as well as I do that they have screwed this country on several fronts and destroyed just about every single one of our civil liberties.

My $0.02

Peace & Love
Jacktherer

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Tell me more college in the military. That's one big issue I have with the Armed forces.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Well just like anything else in this world college is required to access the upper ranks of a job. Armed Forces are no different. However you can have quite a good career without it, because they do have different trade schools you can take which actually do give you college credits without having to enroll formally in college.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

That sounds sweet. But I do want to go to college and graduate. You can't take care of a family with out a great career in life.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Well depending on what you want to do when you enlist, on your down time you can complete course work and mail in your coursework. If you are assigned state-side you will be able to attend actual classes in off-duty time. It may take more time than, going to college full-time, but your trade schools and other things can help as college credits. Like i said once you get your 4 year degree you can apply to Officer candidate school. Whatever you decide my friend I wish you all the best. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask or U2U me.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Thanks comrade!
You're very helpful. I'll most likely join the Army like my father did in Vietnam. He was even a Green Beret! Many of my Friends do love the Marines though.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Beware of the BS recruiters will tell you! They will promise you the world and you'll get jack squat! Usually
After I took the ASVABS I literally had to fight my way through recruiters to make it into my house after school, for months on end. I eventually narrowed it down my decision down to the Army. I had a pretty good recruiter, he learned real quick that he couldn't just bs me into signing. He asked me wanted I wanted to do in the Army. My response was I wanted to jump outta planes and blow $h!7 up, his reply, I've got the perfect job for you son. Airborne Ranger... OOOHRAAA!
Also according to your mos you'll receive varying amounts of benefits, GI Bill etc. The more "extreme" and useless (in the real world sense) mos you pick the more they give you for college. At least that's how it was in 1993. Not a lot of use for the skillset I learned in the Army unless I went to work for Blackwater/Xe or some other PMC.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
ROTC in college is also a thought to look at. Because you are female the upcomming draft will not affect you. There is a lot of prejudice against women as well as men in the elite forces as they tend to ask you if you want to join the elite ones, you can not just say "I want in".

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Doctor G

Well I can you that I'm not a woman. Most likely next year I'm joining. Give me time to get ready by preparing.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The military will give you tuition assistance while you are enlisted so that you can take college classes in your off time. They pay a certain amount per semester which is usually enough to take up to 3 classes. The only thing you have to buy are the textbooks, and if you know someone taking classes at the same college you can usually buy their used books for $20 or so. Also, after you get out you can use the post 911 GI Bill to continue your college efforts. They will even pay you money (varies depending on location) for rent if you attend full-time. Really, it's a great way to get a free degree.

As for which branch, I was Navy. Loved (most) every minute of it. But that is because I chose the correct job when I joined (aircrewman). It is vital that you do the best you can on the ASVAB test because that is going to determine which jobs you are eligible for (which jobs they think you are smart enough to succeed in). So take that test seriously - even brush up on the classes that you had the hardest time with in school. You may want a job having to do with nuclear powerplants (these people can make killer money in the civilian world with that on their resume), but if you are bad at math you won't be chosen for it.

My oldest son was looking at possibly joining last year. I suggested he look hardest at the Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard. One of the best things about the Navy is that you truly can see the world and live all over the world. But the flipside of that is that you deploy at regular intervals, so you are not at home as much. Out of my 20 year career, I spent more than 7 of it away from my home and family. The Air Force often lives a pretty cushy lifestyle (by navy terms), but also have some strict rules which seem strange to us Navy folk. I strongly suggested the Coast Guard, because rescuing people in distress at sea or doing counter-drug ops a few miles off shore sounds like fun to me. The Marines and Army do a lot of hard, dirty, sweaty and thankless work, face the most danger, and you are just about guaranteed to end up in the sandbox soon after you get out of bootcamp.

No matter what, your opportunities and eventual job satisfaction really do depend on how well you do on the ASVAB test and what kind of job you choose when you sign up. And, if you do join, just realize that, like in any job, you're going to start at the bottom and have to do some crappy tasks for a while, but if you stick it out, it gets easier and better. Those who only do one or two tours and get out never really see how easy it can be.

[edit on 6/27/2010 by bagari]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Why do you wish to waste the most valuable thing you have - your life . To serve a corrupt government and ungrateful nation ? Go to uni learn medicine, IT, art.. Do something useful with your life.. Dont throw it away foolishly..

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
wow? I did not know we had so many armed forces recruiters in ATS!
good information to.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Ok, well not knowing how to shoot a gun is really really sad. Never shooting a gun is more common probably. All you do is just aim down your sights and when it's aimed at your target pull the trigger and shoot(having it loaded and off safety help to). My lder cousin is now old enough to join the army so he's been goin through training and stuff and quite frankly I never asked him what he does there. Although, I do know that his specialty is armorment so he'll be driving tanks and other armored vehicles.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Can we get some more info on you to help?

I assume you are between 16 and 19.

How are your grades? What subjects are you best at? What are your interest/hobbies? Do you have any special skills? Do you know what you want to major in college? What would you hope to get out of military service?

If you don't want to get personal, I understand. If that is the case, I can only speak on my own experience in the AF.

First, the better you do on the ASVAB, the more options you have. If you score really well, don't settle for a job because the one you want isn't 'open.' Don't let bonuses be a deciding factor, unless you are completely indifferent to more than one job.

I have had family members in all branches but the Coast Guard. I was AF, but worked closely a time or two with the navy, to include at sea. The AF had the best quality of life to any branch I experienced. AF has dorms with anything from solo to 4 per dorm room. These dorms are typically mini-apartments with your own private room and a shared common room/bathroom. Exercises, Operations or overseas assignments can give you the chance to see parts of the world. Being based overseas gets you a more cultural experience than just going into port for a few days like with the Navy, but the Navy gets you dozens of countries. Of course that means sharing a room with 40-200 people, and showers that (from my experience) smelled and felt like jet fuel. Food on ship wasn't too bad though. Also, being at a base in the AF, made schooling with actual professors easy.

After my time, I got out and was married with a kid, and decided to go to college. It is harder if your married and having to support a family while doing school but not impossible. Plus, when you get out into the work force your in your 30's competing with all the 23 year olds.

My advice would be either a short enlistment if possible, but as far as I know only Army has (had) that, OR ROTC. If you get your degree then you can do your time as an officer, get better pay and conditions, and if you don't like it, when your done you can go straight into the workforce.

If you answer the questions, I can make some suggesting and tell you what I know related to the AF.

Despite the situation in the government or the situations the military is involved in, I always say the military needs good people, if for nothing more than to make a positive difference and change the culture. It usually is beneficial to the individual to have that experience and the types of training involved.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Your best bet is to go to collage first.
While at collage go into the ROTC(army or air-force) or NROTC(navy marines or coast guard)program.

If you can not do the above and thinking about making the military a career only sign up for 4 years and take as much collage as you can while you are in.
Then after your 4 years use the GI bill to go to collage while going into ROTC or NROTC.(you likely will be so far ahead of other ROTC people because of your prier service that the ROTC people running ROTC program will put you as a leader in the ROTC group).
Then once you have a degree turn around and reenter the military as a officer.
I have known two ex navy enlisted that went this route and became officers.
The enlisted that worked under them respected them more then the OTC and Ring knockers they served under.
And with prier military midshipman's summer training was a lot more fun when you already have served enlisted time.

Back when i was in the NROTC grads became Ensigns after the program except the ex navy enlisted personal who became Lieutenant JG (junior grade) after graduation.

new topics

top topics

join