Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Politics when we colonise a new planet??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Say we colonise the moon (just as an example). Buildings are erected, transport is devised and somehow food is grown/created to make the moon self sufficient.

Offers of land on the moon are made to every human on earth. But who owns the land in the first place? What gives them the right to sell it? What government will run the moon? Will other countries want there finger in the pie? Or will the country who colonised the moon have total control? Or will a totally new government be created just for the moon?

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I think the moon would be come totally independent. And if somebody did rule it, the moon people would have a revolution and take it for themselves. Thats atleast how i see it.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Well I was thinking the same sort of thing, but wouldn't the "moon people" rely on earth for technology etc? They couldn't just start over from scratch, and it would take them a long time to get up to speed with earth.

Also, with more people on earth, and more research, the moon would be very quickly left behind technology-wise.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
before the a colony on the moon could be independant in ANY way they would need their own water source. without that it wouldn't happen.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Of course, but I meant if the moon could be indepent, self sufficient, had it's own food/water source etc.

What then? Who would control it?

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
In 1979, the United Nations put forth the Moon Treaty, which was to ensure no one person, government, company, or corporation could own the Moon, or any other terrestrial body.

www.greaterearth.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The first lunar colonies will undoubtably be research stations, not dissimilar to what we have in Antarctica at the moment. Of course they will have to be fully supported from Earth for quite a while as the ability to be self-sustaining is worked on. After that I imagine it will be fully Earth-controlled for a long long time.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
In 1979, the United Nations put forth the Moon Treaty, which was to ensure no one person, government, company, or corporation could own the Moon, or any other terrestrial body.

www.greaterearth.org...

Then how come you can buy stars for like 50 bucks?? or plots on the moon?? Who owns it in the first place to be selling it?

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Then how come you can buy stars for like 50 bucks??

They say they will sell you the right to name the star not own it, unless Im mistaken.

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
or plots on the moon?? Who owns it in the first place to be selling it?

Someone claimed that the United Nations treaty didnt include individuals, so this person claims not to be under the treaty therefore has the right to claim the moon as his own.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think the moon will be too close to earth for it to have a succesfull revolt. Mars on the other hand tho could see something quite similar as the events depicted on Babylon 5. That is for people who don't know what the hell im talking about New World vs. Old World except Intra-Solar wise in this case.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
So if no one government can run the moon, then who will? Will there be new laws when/if they colonise it do you think?

It could be good in some ways, a clean slate to start over again. Governments could learn from their mistakes on Earth and avoid making them again on the moon...

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Any kind of colony on the moon would be a multi-national operation.More than likely it would be run according to military law. A kind of joint venture. I can't see it happening any other way due to the moon being bound to Earth. No single nation would want another to have such a strategic advantage over them.
Mars is another story. It not being confined to Earth could lead to single nations colonizing it. There could be a Chinese sector, a Russian sector,and an American sector, and so on. Of course it would probably lead to wars on Mars, but the conflict PROBABLY wouldn't spill over to earth. Probably.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This is simple really:

The Moon = A bigger Antartica

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The POLITICS of the first lunar colony?

Oh God, I can't wait...

Stupid Lunar welfare state. Lazy lunars walking around all day at one-sixth the gravity while MY TAX DOLLARS go to feed and clothe them. I should be making six times those stinking moon commies just for the gravity differential....but noooooooooooo.

[edit on 14-6-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well, if the moon was populated with civilians to a great extent, it would probably just be a world colony like other people said. If their economy was not dependent on research&development, but there were other industries as well to extent like earth, then I could see it being a democratic place in the future, with elections and such, and of course the moon dollar.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I seriously doubt that a moon or any other colony woulf be allowed independence-lets look at some examples here on Earth.
Tiawan wants independence from China-won't happen without a war.
Hawaii wants independence from the US-won't happen without a war.
The American colonies wanted independence from England-didn't happen without a war. I am sure you see the pattern.
Whoever (single country or group) creates a colonly anywhere wants a return on it's investment, that doesn't tend to happen if that colony is independent.
It's just my opinion, but probaby accurate non the less.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I think that, if the Moon and Mars, as two examples, were settled permanantly by humans, they would eventually form their own governments. I can see it now: The Luna Republic.
Also, Mars, being an entire planet, would end up forming its own set of countries, just like Earth has.
I think this would result because settling anything outside of Earth would be an international effort; and naturally, once these planets and moons were self-sufficient, they would want their independence... The technology and locations may change, but human nature will remain the same!

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Man imagine a moon theme park
a 1 km fear fall hyper sonic rollercoasters

but yes nomatter what human nature will be the same

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I dont think the moon as much as Mars colonies would want independence I could imagine a time say 500 years in the future where mars colonies are thriving and self dependent and making money(thats a important one). You get generations of mars born people that never been to earth I wouldnt want to pay earth goverments taxes if I was them. And you know the earth would tax them. A kind of mars revolution like the one america had basically for the same reasons. I could see something like that happening

Ps. That guy you sells land on the moon claims to own the whole solar system and oh yeah his last job was a used car salesman. What a bunch of crap

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tim356
Say we colonise the moon (just as an example). Buildings are erected, transport is devised and somehow food is grown/created to make the moon self sufficient.

To get to this point we would have to solve some serious problems here at home. That done it might not be so bad being aligned with the home planet. I could easily see the moon being declared a sovereign country of the planet earth. With all the advantages and disadvantages. And controlled by their own democratically elected officials.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join