It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP knew a year in advance of the risks posed by deepwater drilling.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I found this article on helium.com... /i dont know of their credentials but the info presented was very disturbing so I though I should share...

www.helium.com...

Documents from several years ago indicate that the subterranean geologic formation may contain the presence of a huge methane deposit.

Its quite a read but I found it to be worth it...

Another youtube vid about the extend of this oil spill

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 27/6/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Anybody who knows of the credibility of the source I used should step up and inform us wether this is to be taken seriously or if its just a bunch of fearmongering... It sounds pretty darn scary..

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Pockets of gas' are always going to be a risk whatever depth you are drilling which is the exact reason things like the BOP where in place.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
no thats not correct. The estimates of the presure existant at this specific pocket were already known to be more then our current engineering is able to contain... simply put they knew the risk of this BOP not containing the oil were VERY real... to bad this has come to pass...

its wrong to say that this risk is equal in every oil-reserve they drill into... read the article... it says that this pocket pretty much is an exemption to the standard oil-reserves they've been drilling...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Ah, don't worry about it, BP said they will fix everything and put it all back better than new. And besides, this doesn't sound like an act of god, so your home owners policy should cover it ... right? Right?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Ah, don't worry about it, BP said they will fix everything and put it all back better than new. And besides, this doesn't sound like an act of god, so your home owners policy should cover it ... right? Right?

well this surely wasn't an act from god.. it happened because of a series of small but critical errors on the part of a few BP employees being pushed to make some profit.
I wish it would be as easy as that to solve this but it'll only be a matter of time before the bad news is gonna start increasing. And its because there are people wo for whatever reason wanna play this thing down, that we will most likely see massive casualties in the very near future...

[edit on 27/6/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
So my statement was correct there are dangers of gas at any level.
That is the reason that BOPs are used.

As for the 100,000psi, I have only read the opinion of the expert in this source.
I could be wrong but is there actually a way to measure the pressure without drilling into the reserve. Put yourself in BPs shoes here if you where on the verge of tapping one of the largest reserves in the world and one person told you it "could" be a bit of a danger of gas. would you let it affect your choice to drill.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
They should not have been 50 miles offshore in MILE deep water in the first place, and they knew it. It seems like they knew of the dangers.

The only problem is, they were forced into this position by whacko-enviromentalists that thought if there was a spill it wouldn't effect the coastline. That's enviro-whackos for you.

Seems like BP knew better, but they didn't have a choice.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Carseller4]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
They should not have been 50 miles offshore in MILE deep water in the first place, and they knew it. It seems like they knew of the dangers.

The only problem is, they were forced into this position by whacko-enviromentalists that thought if there was a spill it wouldn't effect the coastline. That's enviro-whackos for you.

That is a KNOWN LIE, poster. Step AWAY from Fox News.

CLAIM: BP's deepwater drilling due to environmentalists, federal government "pushed us out there." Several Fox News figures, including Sarah Palin, Charles Krauthammer, Steve Doocy, Sean Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly, have claimed that, as Hannity put it, BP "should have been in ANWR and shallower waters, and environmentalists pushed us out there." Similarly, Fox News contributors Andrew Napolitano and Bill Kristol, and Fox guest and BigGovernment.com editor-in-chief Mike Flynn have blamed the federal government for, in Flynn's words, "ma[king] them drill in water that deep."

REALITY: Deep-water regions feature vast oil reserves that make such drilling potentially lucrative. According to the U.S. Department of the Interior's Minerals Management Service, the "best source of new domestic energy resources lies in the deep water." The deepwater region of the Gulf has also been identified as "probably the most promising area in United States-controlled territory."

mediamatters.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Media Matters?

You can't be serious?

If this isn't true, then why aren't we drilling in the artic wasteland known as ANWR?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This was NOT a production well,period.

It was a exploratory well drilled to determine the amount of oil in the reservoir.

They were attempting to shut the well down when this incident happened.

They realized that there was so much pressure that deep that there must be methane gas down there and it would be dangerous to attempt to pump it out.

It was called,"The well from Hell",by all those that were associated with it.

The petroleum industry drills exploratory wells all the time that they have no intention of pumping.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Media Matters?

You can't be serious?

If this isn't true, then why aren't we drilling in the artic wasteland known as ANWR?

The fact that we arent drilling in ANWAR has NOTHING to do with why BP was drilling in the Gulf. They were drilling there because... wait for it... THATS WHERE THE OIL IS!!!

I notice you attacked my source, but not the actual information presented.

Also, for the OP:

bp-cited-well-control-situation-six-weeks-before-blowout

www.businessweek.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Eerie. See where it says: "received verbal approval from an unnamed MMS official at 11 p.m. on March 11" in that report?

There's those numbers again, 11 11 .. and add to this 11 people that died on this rig .. and also those 11 miner company employees that went missing on that plane not long ago. It's like a sign, that mother nature is not pleased with what the humans are doing to this planet. It wouldn't surprise me now if that oil well ends up blowing out 11 billion barrels of oil, and the whole gulf blows up in 2011 .. and all but 11% of the worlds population will be dead by 11/11/2011 at 11:11 AM. Looks like humanity is headed for he11.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I didn't follow the link

Here's a couple of facts...

(1) Methane is a component of natural gas. Crude oil is comprised of the heavier components of natural gas. Natural Gas Liquids (NGL's) are comprised of the lighter components of natural gas with a slight amount of the heavier components. Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) is comprised of Methane and Ethane. Mostly Methane. It's stored at cryogenic temperatures and low pressure. All of the hysteria over evil Methane is funny and sad. If you have natural gas in your home, guess what?... you are burning Methane. If you don't then you are contributing to the so called global warming effect. Using natural gas vs electricity is more efficient. Less energy is consumed when the heat is supplied from the source rather than at some power plant that is miles away.

(2) There are more than a couple of wells that were drilled prior to the Maconda in the Mobile Dome area. The Maconda wasn't the first well drilled in water this deep.

(3) Petroleum Engineers can get pretty close to the pressure of a reservoir if they know the weight of the water column and weight of the over burden (rock / sand / etc). Since those things were known it's pretty unlikely that they didn't have a feel for the reservoir pressure.

(4) 100,000 psi?? where do people come up with this kind of nonsense. It's physically impossible for the reservoir pressure to be 100,000 psi and had it impossibly been 100,000 psi there would be no well to kill. Just a hole in the ground. This kind of stuff is where the internet breaks down and becomes useless...

(5) The cement job failed because someone chose not to follow industry standard procedure. The BOP failed because someone in BP modified the BOP and the first line of defense against a blowout wasn't useful for the mitigation of the blowout in the the configuration that it was changed to. The bottom line is that numerous mistakes were made and that allowed this to happen.

If just one of the mistakes hadn't been made then there would be no mass hysteria and GOON speak (Get Off Oil Now). People would be going on with their addiction to oil and oil derived products as if nothing was wrong. They could talk about how green they are as drive plastic cars, eat from plastic bowls, drink from plastic cups, take medicine derived from petrochemicals, and continue to use and take the myriad of things that most people have no clue how connected to oil they are.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

NOT TRUE!!!!!

Either you are here intentionally spreading disinformation, or you are just not intelligent enough to fact-check the crap you hear on fox news.

BP was drilling in the Gulf because THATS WHERE THE OIL IS!!!!!! Not because of environmental regulation. That is such utter and complete nonsense.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
BP are going to be drilling the twin of this failed well off the coast of Libya.

There is a degree of high strangeness about the governmental behaviour in the Gulf of Mexico that has as its opposite the build up of warships in the Gulf of Aden. A good friend insists there is a relationship between the two, but I have seen no evidence.

I repeat what I have said elsewhere: if you live 200 miles or closer to the Gulf of Mexico, get out while you can. Those who remain especially in Louisiana are going to see significant DNA damage and birth defects for generations.

top topics

join