It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panetta: Afghan war has 'serious problems,' but progress being made

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Panetta: Afghan war has 'serious problems,' but progress being made

www.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- CIA Director Leon Panetta said Sunday that the war in Afghanistan had "serious problems," but the U.S.-led mission was making progress.

"It's harder, it's slower than I think anyone anticipated," said Panetta, the nation's top intelligence officer, in a rare media interview with the ABC program "This Week."

He cited governance problems, drug trafficking and the Taliban insurgency -- all in a tribal society -- as the major challenges to the goal of "making sure al Qaeda never finds another safe haven from which to attack this country."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Anybody else see the irony when the CIA chief states that he is worried about drug trafficking?

When they are paying local drug traffickers and growers for information by letting them transport and or grow/produce more drugs?

Also, the problems IMO run far deeper than that. Also using that famous Al Qaeda talking about again, even though the CIA were the ones who created and trained them back in the day.

Thoughts ATS?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Anybody else see the irony when the CIA chief states that he is worried about drug trafficking?

When they are paying local drug traffickers and growers for information by letting them transport and or grow/produce more drugs?

Also, the problems IMO run far deeper than that. Also using that famous Al Qaeda talking about again, even though the CIA were the ones who created and trained them back in the day.

Thoughts ATS?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com

Hard to believe when your source is CNN. Got to question, Know what i mean?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No, i see the same irony you do.

My brother in law wakes up at night screaming in a cold sweat. he did some time in Iraq back in 89. But his deepest seated issues come from his time as a medic for "off the books" excursions into Costa Rica, Mexico, Colombia, and Panama on behalf of the US Army.

Our appointed officials are neck deep in dirt. For a good read, look up Smedley Butler. A great, great American soldier. His greatest act was in turning against the military and exposing them for the thugs that they tend to be.

new topics

top topics

join