It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xenophobia, or just stupidity?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Well when we understood that the Germans couldnt even launch an invasion into Britain and that German rocketry was a manifestation of German laziness we also understood that we could kick thier ass considering we had already kicked yours twice and one of those with the Germans fighting as your hired guns. So it was a no brainer.

As well when one considers that every Englishman, Brit, Scot, , Frenchman and German for that matter with any stone had already moved to the US and was playing american football it was also a safe bet that our mulitnational mixture of extreme manhood was going to be require to end that war.

You see this is the large part of the American attitude...everybody is already over here.... and the only time were ever get to go home in mass is to put a football up somebodys sunshine, harvest some technology, slap around a few jackasses and go into debt for all the trouble.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I hate getting involved in these Brits versus US threads but what you did in WWII for the three years whilst we and our loyal Australian, New Zealand and Canadian cousins and friends stood alone against both Germany and Japan was extort every single penny possible out of us in one of the greatest profiteering excercises ever seen.

But of course that was not the ordinary Joe in the street, their only crime is believing the Hollywood propoganda.

A lot of brave and honourable US armed personel paid the ultimate price during WWII and that should never be forgotten and should always be respected.
But so did a hell of a lot of soldiers etc from many other nations.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Grow up, you only beat us all those years ago because those slimey French helped you...you know, The French who have been our enemies for nearly a thousand years, The French who turned their back on us and sued for peace whilst WE ALONE were fighting Germany in their own country!

The only military confrontation you have been involved in within the last hundred years without the UK watching your back resulted in you getting your arses well and truly kicked in Vietnam.

Unfortunately a lot of good people had to die there.

You seem to lack any respect for the truth and believe the nonsensical propoganda that US MSM seems drip feed the masses.

Fortunately I know enough to know that not all Americans fall for this nonsense and have had real life experience of The British Armed Forces and have a mutual respect for each other in what is a bloody and awful business.

You do you or your brave countrymen and women no favours.

Isuggest you learn some history and learn some respect.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life

Actually we bought all the stuff, no charity there mate.
And the jet was invented by Sir Frank Whittle.

And finally the Russians beat the Germans, the biggest battles the world has ever witnessed were all on the Eastern front.
But you wouldn't know that being an American brought up on Hollywood history.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Cosmic4life]

Sorry buddy but I know ALL of this. But we didnt have to sell you anything. And a lot of good Whittle did ya.
By the way I read The 900 Days when I was 14 years old.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Grow up, you only beat us all those years ago because those slimey French helped you...you know, The French who have been our enemies for nearly a thousand years, The French who turned their back on us and sued for peace whilst WE ALONE were fighting Germany in their own country!

Oh please do tell us all how many good men had to die in Nam and then you can tell us all how many Brits died around the world for several hundreds of years.

And the French well we had to save them to....

You alone were fighting Germany.....what living in bomb shelters? You call that fighting....like Dunkirk....no wonder we had to come over there...the French had turned to mush and the Brits left it all on the beach.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Fortunately I know enough to know that not all Americans fall for this nonsense and have had real life experience of The British Armed Forces and have a mutual respect for each other in what is a bloody and awful business.

You do you or your brave countrymen and women no favours.

Isuggest you learn some history and learn some respect.

I will attempt not to pay attention to fact you are putting words in my mouth.

And by the way...served with a Brit or two as well as some Norweigians. Not that yous guys are with that lot... but none the less, as well as ROKs.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Yes, The French bottled it, as usual and sold us down the river, but we expect that of them!

And yes, the US screwed us for every penny possible before their hand was forced and they had to join in.

My point is, as usual, the ordinary Joes were the one's who fought bravely and paid the ultimate price whilst the Prescott Bush's and Joe Kennedy's etc of the world continued profiteering.

The US MSM tries to portray the US as the worlds saviours at every opportunity.
But you aren't.
Simple and easy as that.

We have never, well not for a very long time, ever professed to be the world'ssaviours.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I hate getting involved in these Brits versus US threads but what you did in WWII for the three years whilst we and our loyal Australian, New Zealand and Canadian cousins and friends stood alone against both Germany and Japan was extort every single penny possible out of us in one of the greatest profiteering excercises ever seen.

A lot of brave and honourable US armed personel paid the ultimate price during WWII and that should never be forgotten and should always be respected.
But so did a hell of a lot of soldiers etc from many other nations.

You sound like a sanctimonious ass. And Japan. Its hard to believe that a Brit that claims to know his history would bring up Japan to a Yank. Much of that war for us was to secure UK interests in the area. I will embarrass you no further in public save to say we should have extorted your ass for the price we had to pay in the Pacific.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Dear lord .... you guys are so silly.

The article in the OP is "As the World Cup starts, conservative media declare war on soccer" and how US conservative media is using the sporting event to, according to neformore, pimp xenophobia.

Now the thread has gone all Faulty Towers and you're all back to mentioning the war.

Sheesh, ethnocentric much?

Just goes to show you that soccer/football nationalism is the least of the consequences when folks glean their identity based on arbitrary lines on a map.

It's a drawing, not a raison d'etre!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

The US MSM tries to portray the US as the worlds saviours at every opportunity.
But you aren't.
Simple and easy as that.

We have never, well not for a very long time, ever professed to be the world'ssaviours.

Well thats you. It must be us then. After all you guys blew India to a little guy in a white sheet and a walking stick. And really other than the RAF couldnt do a thing with Hitler untill we came home.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

It's a drawing, not a raison d'etre!

The map is not the territory...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Maybe the Major might want to re-read the opening post and understand that the football part is an analogy for many aspects of US foreign policy, and how those who comment and shape opinions feed their vitriol to the masses in many different ways.

Perhaps - as enlightened as the Major is - maybe, the Major ought to consider that even the most limited spokesperson, feeding vitriol to a group, is potentially dangerous - history has taught us that many a time.

Sometimes its not necessarily the amount of people you get a message across to, but rather how influential those people are subsequently. I'm sure the Major can grasp that concept as well.

Media shapes opinion. Its a dangerous tool. Media with an agenda is as dangerous as any WMD.

The OP is not necessarily about football - although it references it (Which is why, I beleive the Major resorted to a cheap shot?
). It is about social commentary. Its about what ultimately causes people to hate - the explotation of a difference for solely political means.

Its about the germination of tiny seeds, and its about how potentially stupid and devisive the politcal media in the US is becoming.

I hope the Major has a good evening

The Major did read the OP, and well aware of what was written, as well as what was intended. The Major was using the tried and true mechanism of sarcasm to point out the failed use of football as a vehicle for the recruits sensationalist derision. Focusing in on a few nobody's in the media whilst the MSM pollutes the minds of red blooded American morning noon and night is duplicitous at best.

To suggest that Dan Gainor holds sway over the masses, unwashed or starched and pressed while a megalomaniac holds the Oval Office hostage defies logic or reason. No one is listening or reading that tripe save those with an ax to grind, or a latrine to dig.

As for the convenient use of the term xenophobia, the Major can't help but notice that the recruit has attempted to segregate the good ole U.S. of A. Citizen of the world? The Major finds the title presumptive, and not without arrogance. The Major might remind the recruits that this here backwater of rednecks and knuckle draggers has been more savior than bastion of isolationism. The Major's mother country has extended itself and it's most cherished sons around the globe with no thought of the color of the skin of those that might be saved.

The Major knows full well that not every American is an enlightened being free of bigotry and loathe to besmirch those who are not of their ilk. The Major also knows when the pot is calling the kettle black.

The Major hopes that you can stop by for afternoon tea at your earliest convenience.

Dismissed.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

A pompous ass, I don't think so....just get wound up when people post utter tripe like this which is clearly aimed at getting people's backs up...and it succeeded.

"Well when we understood that the Germans couldnt even launch an invasion into Britain and that German rocketry was a manifestation of German laziness we also understood that we could kick thier ass considering we had already kicked yours twice and one of those with the Germans fighting as your hired guns. So it was a no brainer.

As well when one considers that every Englishman, Brit, Scot, , Frenchman and German for that matter with any stone had already moved to the US and was playing american football it was also a safe bet that our mulitnational mixture of extreme manhood was going to be require to end that war.

You see this is the large part of the American attitude...everybody is already over here.... and the only time were ever get to go home in mass is to put a football up somebodys sunshine, harvest some technology, slap around a few jackasses and go into debt for all the trouble."

It's been a long day and Ive been out in the sun too long....time for a few cold one's and a long smoke I think. (I would have said 'Big Fag' but I think you Yanks would have taken it the wrong way! lol)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Just cracking my second tinnie open and just sparked up...feel much better!

Battle Of Britain mate!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Sheesh, ethnocentric much?

Well if you notice carefully, ethnically I am related to these septics. All the guys rowing here are of the same ethnocentric block just different governments....a family fight. And they started it!

*Disclaimer...if any of you guys are Welsh...my condolences for living so close to these heathen saxton and anglish. Soul Crew! UKs top fighting club! Cardiff City Football!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

A pompous ass, I don't think so....just get wound up when people post utter tripe like this which is clearly aimed at getting people's backs up...and it succeeded.

Hay your boy started this. I figured we are talking football may as well have a row. No bricks, no Bill,
Westham made it over here a few years back first time at our place and by god if we didnt have some cuffs. We felt like we had at last moved into the world of international football.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I refer to my previous post what i posted earlier.(cough)
Yeah I'm gonna have to wade in here.
A lot (not all) of Americans are Xenophobic Bigots.
Most Americans don't own a passport.
Most Americans really do think world series baseball is a world championship,lol.
Most Americans really do think the rest of the world is insignificant.
Most Americans really do think they saved the world in ww2.
Most Americans really do think they invented everything.
Most Americans really do get upset like Israeli's when challenged.
Most Americans really do think it's funny when other nations get bombed back to the stone age.
Most Americans really do lack the humility to recognize other human beings as equals.
Most Americans really are full of hubris.
Those of you on this website are the minority who are human and concerned and i apologize to you for my frankness.
But you know it's true, most Americans attitude to the rest of the world is "screw you buddy".
What do you make of that Schrodingers dog,can't wait for your sanctimonious slap down.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Lol...Cardiff Soul Crew...decent turn but so you should be.

Leeds Service Crew did you's at Cardiff a few years back.

Hell, we did you a couple of times but then again we were notorious for punching quite a bit above our weight!

Too many banning orders, too lengthy jail sentences have ruined us now...which is good as we are far too old and far too fat as well.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Well, my understanding is that the ICF thing in America was pretty much nothing.

Trying to find the video on youtube.

I know a few ICF lads, they are a very good turn!

Anyway, I think we've probably derailed this thread enough!

Edit to add:
They were genuine West Ham fans, not ICF...that's not how it works at all!

[edit on 30/6/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Yes it was nothing really. But many hoped it would be a start.

Just kidding.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join