It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xenophobia, or just stupidity?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Xenophobia? Hardly. Jingoism? Possibly. Certainly closer to the mark. Are Americans arrogant? Hell yes, we are. I certainly am, as an American. We, as a people, have much to celebrate and be arrogant about... Just as on the flip side of that coin, we've much to look back upon and wonder just what the Hell we were doing... ...and we do both, usually loudly. How else to learn the lessons that history has to teach?

No one is claiming we're perfect. I'm not, nor will most Americans on this board. We've issues to deal with, and unlike some, we'll get around to doing so, in our own good time. Preaching at us about it? Won't make it happen any quicker... You don't like it when we preach at you lot? Don't blame you. But... Please have the courtesy to return the favor.

I love my country, and it's unconditional. Does that make me blind to its shortcomings...eh, maybe I view them through glasses tinted with a hint of rose...but I see them. I do my best to address them as I can. What more can one ask of oneself?

Xenophobia? No. Most Americans would, I think, prefer to be more insular, if not isolationist. We're a nation of extroverts, yet we'd prefer to be left alone. We're braggarts, and can be most assuredly greedy, even rapacious at times...yet, we lead the world in private charitable donations by a shameful margin. We treated the natives shamefully for most of the last two centuries...yet we've gone to war twice globally to help some of you lot free yourselves from tyranny.

Many of you claim to understand us... How could you possibly? When we, who live here, and are Americans, don't understand ourselves half the time...or more.

Xenophobia? No. How could we be? Our parents. Our grandparents. Our wives. Our husbands. Even our children. All came from elsewhere, save for the Natives...yet all can gather about and claim America as their home. All creeds. Any ethnicity's you care to mention, cut us, and you'll find it. A race? Lo and behold, there it is. Xenophobe? How could we be, and not cut our own throats?

Stupidity? Perhaps. There's been more than our fair share of late... Yet, we're hardly unique in that aspect of humanity. But again, America for better, or for worse, and as much as it grates on some, is held to a higher standard. It's a standard we can't possibly live up to, because we're Americans we aren't God. Nor, contrary to certain claims from outsiders, do we claim to be. Guided by? Maybe. Influenced by? Again, maybe.

So... Y'all keep on reminding us about our arrogance. Our xenophobia. Our stupidity, even. We'll keep bristling, and getting angry. Yet our basic nature will not change. If it does, I fear for the future of our world.

That soapbox, just reached out and grabbed me.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
As the World Cup starts, conservative media declare war on soccer

Ok. Slightly old article by a couple of weeks, but it raises a question - why can't the US accept that there is a world out there?

Admittedly, the quotes in the article are made by some of the lowest of the low as far as political commentary go but this kind of thing...

He added: "generally football games in this country don't devolve into riots or wars." He later added that the sport of soccer "is being sold" as necessary due to the "browning of America."

Browning? Didnt this sport take hold in america as it is today in white suburbia?

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I like how this American sportswriter explains the soccer issue.

Hint: Before anyone goes there, Fox Sports is not political like Fox News ...

Op-Ed

That’s because prejudice, for me anyway, isn’t the problem. There is a cultural element here, but I think it has more to do with playing sports growing up and thus being able to appreciate basketball, football or baseball when practiced at their highest form. I've singled to left, but I'll never jack a 98-mile-an-hour fastball into the bleachers.

Today, one of soccer’s main selling points in the U.S. appears to be how easy it is for kids to learn (hence the image of suburban “soccer moms”), with a proud dad recently telling me how much fun he has watching his 6-year-old daughter run around trying to kick the ball.

As a viewer or fan, however, the fact a game can be played by children isn't a ringing endorsement as TV diversions go.

Granted, there's also a cultural bar for hockey, but at least that game features people racing around on skates at breakneck speed. The puck always seems to be this close to getting jammed into somebody's goal, even if scoring is limited or sporadic.

By contrast, too much of soccer takes place in the middle of the field, passing the ball around with no immediate threat of anything significant happening. Every time I try sitting through an entire telecast, I wind up thinking "Wake me for the highlights" when the dude yells “Gooooo-o-oal” for 45 seconds.

My bolding for emphasis.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Perhaps one could liken it Texas Hold 'Em Poker; exceptionally easy to learn and play...but very, very hard to play well.

Or golf, anyone can learn to play and play to a 20+ handicap but to get to single figures is very hard, very, very few can achieve professional level.

I suspect the same can be said about many professional sports.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by centurion1211

Perhaps one could liken it Texas Hold 'Em Poker; exceptionally easy to learn and play...but very, very hard to play well.

Or golf, anyone can learn to play and play to a 20+ handicap but to get to single figures is very hard, very, very few can achieve professional level.

I suspect the same can be said about many professional sports.

Absolutely true - for almost anything in life.

However, the part of my last post in bold is why I suspect many Americans have not caught on to the soccer craze.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
reply to post by Major Discrepancy

Maybe the Major might want to re-read the opening post and understand that the football part is an analogy for many aspects of US foreign policy,

Not an idea lost on me.

One only has to ponder the inane rhetoric and political posturing in American politics in recent years to get a view as to what the politicians are pandering to.

Patriotism....Pride for ones country...It DOES NOT require disdain for other countries. That is a cheap imitation of genuine pride. It's similiar to the bully who finds their self worth in tearing down the same for others. Relativism.

Perhaps that is the crux of it. As America has found less in recent years than in the past to take pride in, the rhetorical patriotic voices with less to champion have gone the way of deriding other nations and cultures.

Any nation that would proudly think it is important to call their taters "Freedom Fries" lest they associate their fatty treats with France...well that kind of silliness calls for some introspection IMO.

As for me?...Still love the USA...idiots and all...

[edit on 29-6-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Let's talk about xenophobia..

You base your opinion of americans based on the commentary of a few morons on tv?

Ignorance indeed...

Why doesn't soccer gain favor in the us? Because its boring as hell, its like baseball.. personally I played baseball soccer and hockey, hockey being my sport of choice and played up till college. I can't even compare hockey or even football to a sport like soccer. No offense, soccer is for girls.

The only reason the world loves it is because any village can buy a ball and kick it.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Soccer the game stupid people watch and participate in.

I thought I was watching a bunch of young men playing soccer once when I was overseas in some 3rd world soccer playing country.

It turns out they were chasing a baby pig that had escaped,around the field.

They ran that poor pig to death.

If America is such a bad place why do millions of people risk life and limb to come here?

If you were to go to any 3rd world soccer playing country and ask a young person where they would live if they could live anyplace,they will tell you America.

Not England,Germany,Australia but America.

And just in case you are totally clueless,they play football in Canada too.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I have Larry King Live on, and his guest is Bill Maher. (sp)

Bill Maher just made the following comment:

"England is becoming more Americanized. The people are starting to want guns".

Then a few weeks ago, I read somewhere:

"China is becoming more Americanized. They are starting to prefer cats and dogs as pets, rather than on the menus".

So, how does that make you feel? "England is becoming more Americanized". The people want guns.

Maybe they do. Maybe they don't. If they do, is it because they are becoming "more Americanized?" I wouldn't personally be presumptuous enough to think that. If the English want guns, I assume they have a reason that has nothing to do with America. Maybe they don't want guns. Maybe Americans aren't xenophobes.

Same for the Chinese. Maybe they decided cats and dogs are adorable, and make good pets. (Took them long enough). Is this statement I just made in parentheses Xenophobic? Is any expression of disdain, or silly bragging, necessarily xenophobic? I don't experience fear such as this. I might fear a person. But I don't fear a country of people.

But my point is, it's not particularly pleasant to hear an unfair statement about your country, is it? I think what Maher said is unfair.

Do you think he is Xenophobic for making the statement? Why would Bill Maher fear Englishmen? My thoughts are it was arrogant, and may be true, may be untrue.

But if England has no interest in becoming Americanized, and if the English people don't want guns, then it was a rather presuming, unfair comment.

Much like the title here.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Muy bien. Well said

Second, non judgemental line...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

The UK, (not England
), DO NOT want guns I assure you.

Are we becoming more 'Americanized'?
Probably.

Due to the power of MSM, marketing and advertising by the large corporate machines, the introduction of the internet, etc, etc I think everywhere is gradually beginning to become like everywhere else very slowly and bit by bit.

[edit on 30/6/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

everywhere is gradually beginning to become like everywhere else very slowly and bit by bit.

If countries such as England (the UK) hear the remark that they are becoming "more Americanized", does it tick them off?

If they dislike our sports, cultures, attitudes, politics, whatever the case may be, and we take the liberty of translating the word "dislike" to "fear", is this xenophobia?

Perhaps other countries are actually afraid of the Americans and our culture, and are actually fearful of becoming more like us.

If American-bashers fear becoming more like us, then doesn't that make them the true xenophobes?

(Excellent point, if I do so say myself.)

And having said it, it was only to make a point. I wouldn't call anybody a xenophobe, unless I was at a shopping mall and witnessed someone running and screaming into into the streets because they saw an Asian, or something. lol. It's not nice. It's accusatory and insulting, actually.

The definition of the word is being used far too loosely here.
People don't like what they don't understand. This we know.

I guess that's my beef with the content of the OP. I object to the terminology.

....and yes, Americans can be loud, pushy, arrogant and obnoxious. They get on my last nerve at times too. But I guess I'll just have to put up with it.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
America doesn't care about soccer, get over it. No amount of crying is going to change this fact.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
I like how this American sportswriter explains the soccer issue.

Hint: Before anyone goes there, Fox Sports is not political like Fox News ...

Op-Ed

By contrast, too much of soccer takes place in the middle of the field, passing the ball around with no immediate threat of anything significant happening. Every time I try sitting through an entire telecast, I wind up thinking "Wake me for the highlights" when the dude yells “Gooooo-o-oal” for 45 seconds.

My bolding for emphasis.

Yes american football has so many more redeeming qualities....phycologically...compounded.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Yeah I'm gonna have to wade in here.
A lot (not all) of Americans are Xenophobic Bigots.
Most Americans don't own a passport.
Most Americans really do think world series baseball is a world championship,lol.
Most Americans really do think the rest of the world is insignificant.
Most Americans really do think they saved the world in ww2.
Most Americans really do think they invented everything.
Most Americans really do get upset like Israeli's when challenged.
Most Americans really do think it's funny when other nations get bombed back to the stone age.
Most Americans really do lack the humility to recognize other human beings as equals.
Most Americans really are full of hubris.
Those of you on this website are the minority who are human and concerned and i apologize to you for my frankness.
But you know it's true, most Americans attitude to the rest of the world is "screw you buddy".

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life

Most Americans really do think it's funny when other nations get bombed back to the stone age.

We didnt think it was funny when Hitler was trying to bomb yous guys into the stone age dammit. And at one point the UK was more famous for its ill mannered hooligans than it was for its Queen! We did think that was funny.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

No you just waited three years until Hitler declared war on you!
We were bombed for three years day and night, where were you?!!
You're the epitome of bigotry and hubris(see above).

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Cosmic4life]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

We were sending you tons of neat stuff to fight with! But what did we get out of it in the end? Football and English wives? Jets and rockets from the Jerrys though.
Hay we are not stupid...we let the Germans beat their head against a brick wall for three years before we wieghed in! Bright piece of play there.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I have to say it does really annoy me when Americas claim to have saved the world during WWII they helped there is no doubt about that, but if us Brits hadn’t stood against Germany like we did Europe would have fell and the outcome could have been very different. Brittan played a much bigger role in the defeat of the Nazi’s than America; we also produced most of our own stuff. Americans seem to forget just how young their nation is, don’t get me wrong they have contributed allot however not as much as European and Asian counterparts.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Actually we bought all the stuff, no charity there mate.
And the jet was invented by Sir Frank Whittle.

And finally the Russians beat the Germans, the biggest battles the world has ever witnessed were all on the Eastern front.
But you wouldn't know that being an American brought up on Hollywood history.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Cosmic4life]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join