It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changing sadness to happiness (NLP)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I've been reading and listening to a few NLP tapes and something quite remarkable has happened. One of the exercises has you (just once) thinking of things that result in a mildly unhappy thought in your brain and changing that to a positive visual mental thing. So then I've added it to a happiness anchor and I've really only just noticed its working. I would not want to project a single weeks worth of personal experience onto the whole of humanity - I just wanted to say that its possible to change sadness to happiness really easily while not changing any core details about yourself whatsoever.

You could do an altavista search and search Amazon for NLP, I could point you in the direction (if you think its a good thing to learn more) that I traveled in but who wants to have a boring adventure?!?

Peace out now and forever

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by yyyyyyyyyy

Hi there, what is NLP ?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Hmm, interesting!

Is it a good thing to change an unhappy thought to a happy one? I could give an example.

I am unhappy because my MP3 Player was stolen from me. I could mentally project this unhappy feeling into a happy one. The problem with this, for me, is that I would need to rationalize this happy feeling, and I do not see how I could in many situations.

I am not saying that it is better to be unhappy rather than happy, I am just stating that it seems quite irrational to do so, and quite difficult as well!

Thank you for the thread!

Kind regards

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

NLP, use google, its about using your brain. en.wikipedia.org... for an introduction to the topic. Once you get an understanding of time distortion and amnesia within hypnosis you might be able to understand things better or not. I heard the other day 'we have a brain - wouldn't it be a good idea to learn how to use it'

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitotsumami

Yeah its a really good point and I deleted a line that was going to explain how if my dog died I would be upset - but i thought it would be obvious that emotions have to be suitable for the situation
That's why the drill has you thinking about things that are only mildly upsetting, it would be a bad thing to feel happy about something that is really bad because it would not be suitable for the situation.

So just for you, say your MP3 is lost and you feel bad, the next day you think about it and feel bad again - rinse wash and repeat - before too long your entire mindset is pre-occupied with unhappy thoughts of the past, and the subconscious cannot distinguish between the past present and future.

Its not irrational to want to change - why do we have consellors? and its not difficult - its possible to cure a lifelong phobia in 20 minutes if you know what your doing.

If you want proof do this little bit of NLP, think of the time you were really angry or really aggressive - stay in that state for at least 10 seconds and notice if your body language, posture or thought process changes. Your voice might change and there would be a raise in blood pressure and all manner of other effects. Give it a try and see how thinking of nice things brings everything back to 'normal'

Don't think of a dog not chasing a cat and see what happens

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I was just talking about this last night to my girlfriend!

NLP is neuro linguistic programming - ie, a certain emotion is associated with a certain hand signal, or movement. When you see or perform particular movements, you feel a certain way. If you want to know how effective it is, ask Hitler! Or any politician, if you study them, you will see they all use this technique.

An interesting aspect is the Ninja Power Signs, or Kuji-in. These are derived from Buddhist meditiations, and the use of certain hand signals empowered their minds, and allowed them to perform "ninja magic". For example, the first sign, Rin, symbolizes ones own mental power and confidence. So what you should do is meditate, focusing on a time you felt very confident, while making the Rin hand sign. After many meditations, when you made the hand sign it will bring this feeling about. So, if you are nervous, or need strength, you would make the sign.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What is NLP

"NLP stands for Neuro-Linguistic Programming, a name that encompasses the three most influential components involved in producing human experience: neurology, language and programming. The neurological system regulates how our bodies function, language determines how we interface and communicate with other people and our programming determines the kinds of models of the world we create. Neuro-Linguistic Programming describes the fundamental dynamics between mind (neuro) and language (linguistic) and how their interplay effects our body and behavior (programming)."

"NLP is a pragmatic school of thought - an 'epistemology' - that addresses the many levels involved in being human. NLP is a multi-dimensional process that involves the development of behavioral competence and flexibility, but also involves strategic thinking and an understanding of the mental and cognitive processes behind behavior. NLP provides tools and skills for the development of states of individual excellence, but it also establishes a system of empowering beliefs and presuppositions about what human beings are, what communication is and what the process of change is all about. At another level, NLP is about self-discovery, exploring identity and mission. It also provides a framework for understanding and relating to the 'spiritual' part of human experience that reaches beyond us as individuals to our family, community and global systems. NLP is not only about competence and excellence, it is about wisdom and vision."

A Man is as Happy as He(She) Chooses to BE! ~ Abraham Lincoln

∞LOVE∞

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

jsut found www.scribd.com... this looks to be a whole book about it

1. Rin-"Strength" of mind and body; in Chinese,chu ;
2. Kyo- "Direction of energy"; in Chinese,shen;
3. Toh-"Harmony" with the universe; in Chinese,tai;
4. Sha-"Healing" of self and others; in Chinese,sha;
5. Kai-"Premonition" of danger; in Chinese, kai;
6. Jin-"Knowing the thoughts of others"; in Chinese, jen;
7. Retsu-"Mastery of time and space"; in Chinese, tung;
8. Zai-"Control" of the elements of nature; in Chinese, hua;
9. Zen-"Enlightenment"; in Chinese, tao.

Awesome, thanks for posting cause I never would have found this otherwise. I am going to use ninja hand signs in my hypnosis inductions from now on, maybe cause I'm a big Naruto fan which contains fantastic lessons and morals within its stories.

The use of NLP and hypnosis goes back at least 4000 to the times of sleep temples in ancient Egypt

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by yyyyyyyyyy

Yeah its a really good point and I deleted a line that was going to explain how if my dog died I would be upset - but i thought it would be obvious that emotions have to be suitable for the situation
That's why the drill has you thinking about things that are only mildly upsetting, it would be a bad thing to feel happy about something that is really bad because it would not be suitable for the situation.

So just for you, say your MP3 is lost and you feel bad, the next day you think about it and feel bad again - rinse wash and repeat - before too long your entire mindset is pre-occupied with unhappy thoughts of the past, and the subconscious cannot distinguish between the past present and future.

Its not irrational to want to change - why do we have consellors? and its not difficult - its possible to cure a lifelong phobia in 20 minutes if you know what your doing.

If you want proof do this little bit of NLP, think of the time you were really angry or really aggressive - stay in that state for at least 10 seconds and notice if your body language, posture or thought process changes. Your voice might change and there would be a raise in blood pressure and all manner of other effects. Give it a try and see how thinking of nice things brings everything back to 'normal'

Don't think of a dog not chasing a cat and see what happens

Thank you for the response!

About feeling bad about an MP3 Player getting stolen. I may feel bad for a few days, but eventually I would get over it, and it wouldn't bother me anymore. I wouldn't let something like that get to me and stick with me continuously.

I will certainly try out this NLP technique before making an opinion on it! Thank you for the information.

Kind regards

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
If this NLP technique works for you then great!

I will add another for everyone to try. Vipassana.

It is excellent. Be warned it could change your life

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Pentothal]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Haha cool

If you notice, alot of anime characters use these....when Sailor Moon transforms, she uses Rin!

I learned about them a long time ago, when I took a form of martial arts called "Ninja Ryu", basically an invented style based on ninja history. Only lately as i have been learning more about the mind/spirituality/things like NLP did I think back and say "omigosh!". I should look up my old Sensei...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
For me in life i am going to be negative always. Uk gov and police has taught me being negative is the only way.

Cheers uk.

CX

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
For me in life i am going to be negative always. Uk gov and police has taught me being negative is the only way.

Cheers uk.

That's not true andy....i've seen you crack a smile in more than a few threads here on ATS.

Another thing, when was the last time anyone let the government and the police truely run their lives?

They only run what you let them run.

As for NLP, i have listened to many many practitioners of this subject, and i try to take something from each of them.

I always enjoyed Tony Robbins (religion aside), he was easy to listen to and i took a lot from his CD's. Napoleon Hill was good and Jim Rohn too.

CX.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Cheers uk.

why go alongwith what the system wants, why react with more negativity and add to it, pro-react and be the change. give up the addiction to the negativity!

rubber duck the old bill!! don't let the system get the better of you.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I do not see how NLP would help someone who is dumb, deaf, blind and mute.

I wonder if such systems would have helped Helen Keller back then.

[edit on 2010-6-27 by pikypiky]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

quote 'I will certainly try out this NLP technique before making an opinion on it! Thank you for the information.'

Warning, have you ever heard the expression the things you own end up owning you? The same applies to thoughts. If you try this NLP technique it changes you automatically just by the act of trying it, also I have not explained the technique in the OP, only outlined it roughly to give you an idea of what is possible. The full instructions were on a CD tape and I don't know the name of the technique, at one point you have to physically write yourself a message on a bleached out white imagine but there is more to it than that. It was on purpose that I did not include the technique in full cause by and large ATS is not the right forum of this sort of stuff and its VERY IMPORTANT to rule out any sort of medical pathology in this sort of area.

Peace

CX

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
I do not see how NLP would help someone who is dumb, deaf, blind and mute.

I wonder if such systems would have helped Helen Keller back then.

[edit on 2010-6-27 by pikypiky]

Braille.

You only have to be able to read the material.

CX.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Hi , just did a wiki search on Helen Keller and it said she used sign-language, well NLP is just words so take those words and sign it to her and it would work! A good teacher no wait, a great teacher would be needed but its certainly more than possible. After all, Keller did lead a full and active life despite of the roughage of life and the poeple around her taught her a great many things, its just back in the day folks did not call it NLP.

Hope that helps even if its not a great deal.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Braile NLP, more than possible!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yeah I hear ya cause I am hailing from the UK, (70 year ban on the Dr Kelly autopsy anyone) but the point of the thread was to show its possible to change sadness to happiness without changing your overall personal viewpoint. You can still dislike them but the thing is the brain does a lot of things at the same time so you can dislike them and 'get happier' while never forgetting that you don't like them, its like mental multi-tasking.

But its remarkable that you are SOOOO sure that you will always be negative, you would have struggled to make a more emphatic statement if you tried

At least you are positive about your own negativity - even when other people say they have evidence that proves your opinion about yourself to be incorrect.

new topics

top topics

join