It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creation of a Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Here is a question fully open to all, especially atheists

For the question, please put aside anything you consider fact about whether there are any supernatural beings-that doesn't matter.

The idea is to manufacture a benevolent religious conspiracy:

Given everything known about humans: From Confirmation Bias, to the 'need to believe' to... frankly many being uneducated and brutal. I was wondering if you would consider the creation of a religion as a 'saving grace'. Essentially the creation of a new creed wrapped in a dogma with holy overtones.

If you think this would be a valid addition, please include details on tenets or maybe even a sampling of the 'word'. If you don't agree, please explain that as well. But again-this has nothing really to do with any faith being true or not: This is about using religion to try and better society-if possible. This is meant as a control on the population while allowing them to actually grow as people.

mine:

Higher Being: The Creator type being. Deist in as much does not interfere, just observes. Other humans in the higher planes would assist people.

Afterlife *obvious must* for those considered enlightened. Reincarnation for all those still 'learning'. All living creatures have souls which can be reincarnated. This way you can create saints or similar beings to guide the followers. Because they are not omniscient-just a better perspective. Sometimes the help offered isn't all that helpful.

Purpose of life: That is a secret buried in the Universe. Followers must study all branches of Science-from hard to soft. Also heavy focus on Mathematics. The pursuit of knowledge brings humans closer to the creator. The application of the knowledge makes humans more like the creator. The pursuit of knowledge is the highest value. Because of this all aspects of life must be accepted with a kind of zen peace. Including removal of the sense of entitlement. 7 billion people are too much. This entails voluntarily only having one child, or abstaining.

War (and murder) and Greed are the only real sins. Killing removes a persons ability to get closer. Greed is hoarding knowledge and resources and thus a sin. Otherwise the directive is "Do what you want, just don't harm anyone or anything". This also means anything considered "consenting adults" is accepted. From gay marriages to plural marriage (again, consenting adults ONLY). To not accept personal rights of adults would open the door for destructive dogma and corruption of faith. Therefore members must be zealots when it comes to fighting laws that restrain rights of anyone (murderers and rapists etc. not withstanding).

To be considered a saint one must pursue knowledge while behaving with Honor, Integrity, Compassion and a generally Wise way while living.

There would be various rituals because people are comforted by those, but can't think of any off top.

Let me know what you think.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I like what you've come up with so far. I would also stress the interconnectedness of all life, from that of fellow humans all the way across the ecosystem.

However, I am of the opinion that any philosophy, no matter how well reasoned and kind is subject to corruption from intelligent people who wish to use popular opinion to their own ends.
Basically, what I feel has happened to every other religion in the past.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unresponsible
I like what you've come up with so far. I would also stress the interconnectedness of all life, from that of fellow humans all the way across the ecosystem.

However, I am of the opinion that any philosophy, no matter how well reasoned and kind is subject to corruption from intelligent people who wish to use popular opinion to their own ends.
Basically, what I feel has happened to every other religion in the past.

True, I'm reminded of the Telephone Game. People will interpret as they want and if you challenge what people think is right: prepare for blood shed.

I was thinking the eco-interconnectedness was implied, but then I am sure that presumption is what leads to corruption in religion

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

As an atheist if I were to create a religion it would have to be one that is just for fun, in fact I had one in the works which was a return to worshiping the feminine, all the deities I created for it were female the leader of which was called Sapphos and was a lesbian goddess (I know I know how pig-headed of me
)

But if I had to create one to serve a positive function in society I'm not sure I could mainly because religion doesn't serve much function in society. Maybe in the early times we humans used religion to coalesce into tighter communities but now religion serves more to divide than to unite and we have things like global communication to have a global community without all worshiping the same invisible man in the sky.

I agree with the above poster who mentioned stressing interconnectedness, the way the Universe is all connected. Ever since I became an atheist I've felt much better about nature, we're a part of it, not apart from it. Maybe we could call it Saganism and the main tenet would be Carl Sagan's famous quote:

"We are a way the Cosmos can know itself."

It would also definitely stress selflessness, not that we all have to be focused on others all the time but just that doing things for others can be rewarding and help bind the community and world together.

I don't think it would have any Gods or spirits but it could definitely have some principles to form a framework for positive human behavior.

Great post, star and flag.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

But if I had to create one to serve a positive function in society I'm not sure I could mainly because religion doesn't serve much function in society. Maybe in the early times we humans used religion to coalesce into tighter communities but now religion serves more to divide than to unite and we have things like global communication to have a global community without all worshiping the same invisible man in the sky.

Couple points on that. Though I despise the concept of religion. It does serve quite a few roles in communities and society at large. The group Dogma gives a sort of hive-mind dynamic-for better or good. From being able to predict what members of a sect will do/think/oppin (especially when congregated and have the eyes of fellow believers on them) to the fact most people feel listless and or pointless until given an ideal to crusade for. It is an odd aspect that people don't feel complete unless they have something-be it an ideal or person or simply a goal, to strive for. For many Religion satisfies that impulse. It has also been shown in psych experiments that people will defer in seemingly all things to those they consider Authoritarian. The concept is more on how to guide that impulse constructively.

I agree though that while a very few religious groups do anything other than be parasitic, the potential is definitely there for more.

Otherwise.. Come on, people today are just as crude, barbaric, greedy, jealous and cliquey as they were thousands of years ago. There seems on average very little Humanity in the human race.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

But those functions can be and are better served by other institutions and philosophies. Having a hive mind dynamic can hardly be considered a good thing, people's own opinions being replaced by religious dogma basically making them zombies can't really be good.

If people can't find meaning in this life that is their own problem, there are listless folks inside and outside of churches. Honestly I think most religions create more apathy than they dispel because they offer such glamorous visions of the afterlife that people stop thinking about making this planet better and making their lives better. Religion can create a disconnect with the real world in favor of fantasy.

This secular religion idea would need to do away with all that, sure it could offer some ideas on worthwhile life goals but it would reinforce our connection with reality - that doesn't mean escapism would die but that people would have more reason to be invested in the world.

What crusade do most religions send believers on? CONVERSION crusades. This secular religion would be more about humanist crusades, solving world hunger, helping others, medicine, educating future generations which coincidentally SOME churches are actually working on but this would be without the dogma attached.

Come on, people today are just as crude, barbaric, greedy, jealous and cliquey as they were thousands of years ago.

As the quality of our knowledge and the quality of life increase the violence will go down. Most of the violence is in poor areas, third world countries, it we could bring the entire world up to speed there'd be less barbarism - there might still be greed though, that's one monster I don't think we'll ever escape. But hey, we're just apes, what do you expect?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Otherwise.. Come on, people today are just as crude, barbaric, greedy, jealous and cliquey as they were thousands of years ago. There seems on average very little Humanity in the human race.

One could redefine humanity according to those traits...oh wait, that's called fascism

Sorry, a little bit off topic there.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Hmm, how interesting!

Quite a topic for a thread! Honestly, the most beneficial religion I can think of is no religion at all. I believe it is always best to accept truth based on real world evidence and let that be your guide.

I will attempt to be hypothetical and describe a religion I would make, if by some chance I would feel like making one. It would about following the god called ENERGY who dictates the universe. Once you die, you return to this ENERGY and REINCARNATE through spreading through the universe helping other life in this indirect, but nevertheless important, way. My doctrine would be follow the LAW that BENEFITS society, and and punishment for those who don't is a time in separation from society in fair amounts.

That's the best I can come up with, honestly!

Kind regards

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Er... "for better or good" was not what I meant, I'm doing several things and mixed "for better or worse" and "good or bad". Was meaning it more of just thing that is.

Though I agree with all the shoulds you mention, I am coming from a more cold/pragmatism approach on how to use the apparent weaknesses in society to build a hypothetically stronger. The same sort of techniques are used in every political campaign with slogans and fanboy creation: seems to me the easiest way to tap into that and utilize the drives of people-the easiest path would be in the formation of (for lack of a better term) "religion".

The majority of people do not want to embrace Atheism. Hell, I have a huge atheistic overtone in my philosophy but I feel guilty when I giggle at some off color Jesus joke.

As for the crusade part: Just because many focus on conversion doesn't mean that is the only use for it. Consider the Amish and Mennonites . Two groups who truly live their faith. In so doing they draw a lot of strength of character. The idea is to tap into something to cause people to similarly: truly live as something that would make Humans as a whole something more than something which seems to be going dystopian

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hitotsumami

Hmm, how interesting!

Quite a topic for a thread! Honestly, the most beneficial religion I can think of is no religion at all. I believe it is always best to accept truth based on real world evidence and let that be your guide.

I will attempt to be hypothetical and describe a religion I would make, if by some chance I would feel like making one. It would about following the god called ENERGY who dictates the universe. Once you die, you return to this ENERGY and REINCARNATE through spreading through the universe helping other life in this indirect, but nevertheless important, way. My doctrine would be follow the LAW that BENEFITS society, and and punishment for those who don't is a time in separation from society in fair amounts.

That's the best I can come up with, honestly!

Kind regards

The no religion part is too Utopian
I don't think that societal change could realistically be expected within the next few centuries. Can dream though

How would you use your construct within society itself? I'm curious about "Law that benefits society" as that could be interpreted a few different ways.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Thank you for responding!

"Law that benefits society."

Perhaps I worded this wrong! "You will follow the law, and the law states that one will be punished for purposely damaging society."

I think that is more of what I meant.

As for how I would construct this into society? That's a tricky question! I guess I would do it like very other religion. Keep repeating it and hope someone believes me. Maybe I'll make a book about it. I'm not really sure.

If you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to try and answer!

Kind regards

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Hitotsumami]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I know the Aussies rock!
They made the Jedi religion a real thing.
I would consider Luke a Jesus type individual.
Jedi made a real religion by the Aussie Census

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Jedi made a real religion by the Aussie Census

The report in the linked article actually says that Australians reported themselves as "Jedi" on the census form, and the census authorities took no notice.
That hardly justifies the claim made in the link's label.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by DISRAELI]

new topics

top topics

join