It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Clock or just another Billionaire's Crackpot Boondoggle?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

The 10,000 Year Clock

Ticks once a year, bongs once a century,
and the cuckoo comes out every millennium

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e7f7efcec80c.jpg[/atsimg]

Well if this isn't the weirdest thing since the Georgia Stones then I don't what is!

Here we have another Gazillionaire

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Personally I don't think this has any prophetic significance.

If you want a personal, psychological based analysis of things of this nature, I'd say you were looking at people trying to compensate for personal inadequacies and perhaps someone unable to accept the idea of his own mortality and either doesn't have children, or is estranged from them.

Could be more though.. Interesting to say the least! =D

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Maybe it will be the "Mayan calendar" to the new species of humans a few thousand years from now. And they will really be freaked when the kookoo comes out.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Billionaires know how to waste their money on the stupidest things, someone needs to get this guy some coc aine and hookers. I mean seriously, who (besides a billionaire) would think a clock that ticks once a year is a good idea?

He wants the clock to be there so future people can look at it and figure out what clocks are? Come on now, if there is a major near extinction catastrophe, there will a lot of stuff left besides this guys clock. Besides that, if anyone finds it, they'll think its broken, it only ticks once a year, no one will notice that lol.

This guy is just an ego-fiend who wants to think hes the savior of humanity.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by CREAM]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Compensation....

You know I still think it's a cool idea.
One that only a billionaire can afford to waste money on.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
Maybe it will be the "Mayan calendar" to the new species of humans a few thousand years from now. And they will really be freaked when the kookoo comes out.

I was thinking almost the same exact thing. I still have no idea what exactly is supposed to happen or pop out when it goes "KooKoo" I guess we'll all have to wait and then die to find out.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
they'll think its broken, it only ticks once a year, no one will notice that lol

Well what made you think these geniuses actually knew what they were doing when they came up with this idea? Why not build something useful? Like a NUKE proof Prophylactic dispenser? That way these "Titans of industry"
wouldn't be able to further pollute and degrade the gene pool.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Who gives a rat's ass about some big clock?

I don't want sound like Miss World, "I want to save the poor brown babies of Haiti...sniff. Mother Earth needs our help." Surely he could do something with long term benefit and still be inspirational? The clock idea needs a little rethink.

So....Danny Hillis could run a media event that asks for the best way to encourage 'long term thinking.' Ask kids and adults! I bet not one person would suggest a big clock....in a cave....on a rich guy's private property. Sounds like the mechanical equivalent of paint drying

He should build a freaking huge clock in Times Square that counts how many people are in US prisons. Or how much money is currently allocated to the black budget. How many square miles are deforested per day. How many square miles of ocean floor are wrecked by intensive fishing? Things like that might make people wonder about the future?

It's old and out of fashion, but building a hospital wing or setting up scholarship funds at least have long-term benefits. Do it for the kids Danny! His dumb-ass clock pales into insignificance compared to the 'long-term thinking' of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
cuckoos every millenium

dumb gazillionaire got the economy model. everyone knows the deluxe has a cuckoo override button you can have your manservant push at your whim. pfttttttttt

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Being Billionaires, I'm sure they got money to waste.

IMO, it is a waste, but maybe in their eyes..it's their contribution to a future society.

Maybe they have a desire to be remembered just as the ancient Mayans and Egyptians are today.

Of course, the Mayans and Egyptians probably never realized the legacy they were leaving behind.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by jam321]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Source:

The clock is not built yet. Right now Hillis and others are building prototypes – smaller clocks that show how the big one will work. The big one, the one that will last 10,000 years, will be 60 feet tall (20 metres) and be in the side of a mountain in the desert land east of California.

I was wondering why they have the cuckoo come out just once a M?

Who will be around to see the cuckoo? Or will it be videotaped? LOL!

Just think, if this clock had been started at the time of the KT Event (which was about the time the dinosaurs left and we came into the picture :up
, the cuckoo would have cuckoo'd 60,000 times by now!

But then I read that it is designed to operate at least 10,000 years which is just what, a twinkle of an eye?

And this:

Along with the Clock will be a Rosetta stone, a new one recording 1500 of the world’s 7000 languages (half of which will die out in the next hundred years!). Work on that is under way too.

If we are long gone would someone care about translating our languages?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

Along with the Clock will be a Rosetta stone, a new one recording 1500 of the world’s 7000 languages (half of which will die out in the next hundred years!). Work on that is under way too.

If we are long gone would someone care about translating our languages?

Yes I saw that. Apparently they have several projects in the works.

Makes one wonder.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
If, in some future time, some spaceship comes out of the darkness, trying to find out if its owners race is alone in the universe, and we've gone and wiped ourselves out in the meantime, at least they'll know there was someone else out there.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
What, they just literally threw that in my face. I am Death's end. Countdown to Satan's return. I am ready now, and I will be ready then, always is, will be.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

IMO, it is a waste, but maybe in their eyes..it's their contribution to a future society.

Is this a project similar to the gold plate on one of the Voyagers with the introduction to aliens from earth?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

You know Carl Sagan and now Hawkins are on the same page that maybe we shouldn't be broadcasting and waving our hands as to our location in the universe. Even though if they are listening they already know we are here. Simply because ever since Marconi we have been spewing radio signals out into the cosmos.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Yeh, THEY probably think that any civilization that uses radio waves to communicate rather than quantum entanglement is too risky to deal with anyway!

They probably say something like "Aww, they're just a magnetic energy civilization, turn them off and find something more interesting, here's the remote.." LOL!

Then again they may tune us in for comic relief!

[edit on 28/6/10 by plumranch]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUltimateEnd

What, they just literally threw that in my face. I am Death's end. Countdown to Satan's return. I am ready now, and I will be ready then, always is, will be.

What?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If I had all that cash and was just going to simply throw it away as they have or are planning on doing. I would have built a massive pyramid one that would put the Egyptians, Olmec, Aztec or Mayans all to shame.

A huge one with all kinds of hidden rooms stuffed with everything we know. Of Course one room dedicated to the King.
Elvis

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Of Course one room dedicated to the King.
Elvis

If you can build that pyramid without using today's modern technology, then I say that would indeed be impressive and put them to shame..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join