It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Side Of The Moon, The Most Detailed View

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Wow! How's that for some radiant perspective!
gizmodo.com...

This is the hidden face of the moon like you've never seen if before, as captured by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter's LOLA - instruments. Despite its appearance, the picture wasn't processed by NASA scientists taking '___' while listening to Pink Floyd.

The rainbow colors correspond to the elevation of the terrain, going from 20,000 feet (red) to -20,000 feet (blue). The beautiful coloring, combined with the unique sharp view of the craters—the largest in the solar system—makes me want the whole Moon to be exactly like that all year around.

The image is part of an article on ten cool things discovered in the first year of the LRO, which includes the Moon landing sites but not this amazing close up of its surface. [NASA]

gizmodo.com...

I thought this was interesting enough to pass along, and I learned something about a LOLA, Lunar Orbiter Laser Altimeter. lunar.gsfc.nasa.gov...
Pretty cool instrument, using a single laser that penetrates a diffractive optical element to produce 5 separate beams that illuminate the moon's surface.

For each beam, LOLA measures time of flight (range), pulse spreading (surface roughness), and transmit/return energy (surface reflectance). With its two-dimensional spot pattern, LOLA unambiguously determines slopes along and across the orbit track.

I always enjoy fresh pics of the Moon, leaves me in awe...
I'll see you, on the dark side of the moon.
Peace

[edit on 27-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Great find/pics. Thanks!

I guess that rules out the idea of alien moon bases on the dark side.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dlifesjrny

I guess that rules out the idea of alien moon bases on the dark side.

No it doesn't.

Unless you just looked at all of the image data and ruled it out.

.....in which case I would like to welcome you to Earth, you artificial intelligence you.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
I'll see you, on the dark side of the moon.
Peace

Very cool pics from LROC, thanks for sharing! And I know I am nitpicking, but I still want to mention that there is actually no "dark side" of the Moon. Pink Floyd was wrong about this!

Even though we always see the same side of the Moon from Earth, the Moon does in fact rotate, and also it's "far side" gets it's share of sunshine.

This little video shows the Moon's rotation in it's orbit around Earth in a very simple way, which means that even I can understand it.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dlifesjrny

What, you didn't see them in the pics? You have to use some imagination ya know!

Peace

reply to post by ziggystar60

Well color me edumucated then, I did not know this, thanks for the insight!
Peace

new topics

join