It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Yeah, that was part of it, but the biggest part was seawater interacting with the methane, creating methane hydrate crystals that bunged up the works. With this new cap, there is a self-sealing mechanism that seals out the seawater, which should help to contain this thing.

Also, there is a three-ram stack that will be going on that will slowly be closing off the flow altogether, while they carefully watch the pressure situation.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Retracted my post.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by h3akalee]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

not yet, it is still being released out of a perforated tube atop the new piece. only a couple of more steps and it might be capped.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

What they did was install the Transition Spool, which is part one of a multi-part installation to complete the new capping system.

ETA that if and when they pan up to the top of this thing, you will see that the flow continues out of the top.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Ceriddwen]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Whats the yellow cloud on enterprise rov 2?? and where is that?

link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

Thanks for the info mate.

That sight really filled me with a lot of hope.

At last i think i see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care !

Regards
Lee

link   
:C I got so excited that It was finally capped.

I'm guessing it should be within the next 72-hours?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Whats going on here?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I was gonna ask the same thing. Is it methane?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
What is that green solution that Enterprise 2 Rover is spraying ?

Regards
Lee

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

That is most likely anti-freeze or some other compound to melt away the methane hydrates. Looks like that thing is also covered in barnacles.

I think that is the bottom of the "bladder" that connects from the ship to the riser where it is sucked up to the ship. That is just a guess, but it has been there all along and has been tended to periodically.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I don't think the transition spool is seated properly. They seem to be focusing on that one insertion pin that isn't all the way in.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I evidently need to work on my positive imagining techniques

I'm seeing close but no cigar

thanks for helping me see my enlightenment flaws

I hope this is the beginning if the end of this nightmare

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

That was exactly what I thought it was. If THAT is what's suposed to 'suck up' the oil, than I would say they have more issues.

On another note, are any of you watching SKANDI ROV 2? It has been on the move for a bit now. It seems to be following a line all the way to the bottom. It went past the BOP, the riser and is continuing down. My question, is that since I haven't been watching this too much I am curious if you have often seen the clouds of (oil?) billowing up from below that it is currently showing as it goes down? Or is this simply dirt or other debris from the machinery?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Skandi 2 was carrying the dispersant hose that was directly inside the BOP opening. The white curved tube that went inside. I guess it was taking it away since the clouds of dispersant were mucking up the viewing. Probably dropped it at the manifold where they store the dispersant tools.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It is fully seated.
Now they are pulling the collars off the bolts to allow them to drop through the flange.
Then they can put the nuts on the bottom and tighten the flange joint.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The tube, or dispersent was placed in the 'new' riser almost immediately. (I find it odd that this seems such a high priority) THEN, it started its decent. The clouds that I saw wasn't dispersent, but something else rising up from below.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Okies. I wasn't watching Skandi 2 because I was waiting with 'bated breath for the transition spool to go on.

Since I was not paying attention, I would have to say I don't know what you saw. No chance you got a pic, huh?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Nope...I got picture happy awhile ago and since then don't take many screen shots.

If I see it again, I will. It is hard to tell though with the stills, because it is so billowy and murky, Very hard to tell what you are looking at.

They aren't showing a whole lot right now. Only a few cameras on-line showing things from a distance. I wonder what they don't want us to see??

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
On enterprise 2 they are showing the bottom of the hydraulic clamp that locks onto the unit they are putting in place on the BOP. It has been setting on the ocean floor so it has got some hydrates and junk sticking on the bottom. The green stuff they are spraying in it is the antifreeze to try and melt the junk so the connection will be clean.

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join