It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Here's some video of that monstrosity that was just lowered into the gulf floor.

Maybe this is some kind of intermediate tank that will be connected to the BOP when they try to replace that top hat with a bolted on replacement. If they can do that, and keep the water out, the warm/hot oil might prevent that freezing issue they had with that first cap they tried to place over the BOP.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Thanks Divinorumus.
This helps with knowing what we're watching.

Here's some of the story, dated today 6/27/10...

What is going on now

Currently, two ships are collecting about 25,000 barrels of oil a day combined.

The first is the Discoverer Enterprise, which can process – in other words, separate from the water and natural gas also captured – about 15,000 barrels of oil a day. This oil is being sent to shore on tankers, and BP is donating revenues from the oil to a Gulf wildlife fund.

The second ship is the Q4000, which can only burn the oil it collects. It is currently burning about 10,000 barrels of oil a day.

Each of these ships collects oil flowing through the failed blowout preventer on the sea floor in a different way, which is important for what comes next.

The Discoverer Enterprise is connected to the containment cap, which is fitted atop the stump of the riser pipe that led to the Deepwater Horizon before the rig sank.

The Q4000 is connected to a valve on the side of the blowout preventer – the choke line, which was used to pump in drilling mud during the failed “top kill” operation.

Both ships, however, are connected to the blowout preventer via fixed riser pipes that would have to be disconnected when ships went to shore during a hurricane.

Making the system more hurricane-ready

BP’s primary goal in the weeks ahead is to replace these fixed riser pipes with flexible riser pipes that would remain connected to the well during a hurricane, their mouths floating about 300 feet below the surface.

Ships returning after a hurricane could more easily connect to a floating riser pipe just below the surface than with the various blowout preventer valves a mile down.

The first flexible riser pipe is almost finished. It will be attached to a second valve on the side of the blowout preventer known as the kill line. A new ship called the Helix Producer will connect to this flexible riser.

The Helix Producer can process about 25,000 barrels of oil a day. It is expected to come online Tuesday.

On Wednesday, BP and the Coast Guard are expected to decide whether to greenlight a project that would remove the containment cap and replace it with a larger cap connected to two flexible riser pipes.

The replacement cap, called an overshot tool, would not sit atop the stump of the original riser pipe, but would bolt directly to the blowout preventer, perhaps creating a better seal.

With two flexible riser pipes, the tool would also allow for two ships to connect to it, potentially doubling capacity. Media reports suggest that the two ships would be the Discoverer Enterprise and the Toisa Pisces.

Several tankers, including the Loch Rannoch, would ferry the processed oil to shore.

This system, if given the go-ahead Wednesday, would be in place by mid-July.

Around the same time, BP plans to replace the Q4000 and its fixed riser pipe with the Clear Leader and a new flexible riser pipe to the choke line.

In total, the new system would be able to process about 80,000 barrels daily.

This system to collect oil at the well is separate from the efforts to skim the oil slick on the surface. In those efforts, the A Whale supertanker is on its way to the Gulf. The supertanker could skim 500,000 gallons of oil-contaminated water from the surface of the Gulf daily.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

Stacie Cakes? An unusal name - would love to know what it means (perhaps something to do with layers). Thanks all for the explanation and vid - helps in knowing what is going on now.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Stacie Cakes is probably the nickname for someone's girlfriend and it was written there so she could see it and know he was thinking of her.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Seems as though we have substantial buildup on top of the top cap.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Moriarty]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
why is the crude building up like that? Is that normal?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
thanks again gang for the updates and...
a special thanks to you guys embedding video and pics !!!
keep it coming please!

~meathead

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moriarty
Seems as though we have substantial buildup on top of the top cap.
[edit on 27-6-2010 by Moriarty]

Some of the build up has since been cleaned off by Enterprise ROV 2.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bdw18_123

But what was the "build up"? Does anyone know?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Hey I am curious about something. Does anyone know what the delay is on these feeds? Is it like radio or something 7 seconds? I mean if something did happen how fast can they kill the feed to stop us from seeing it?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The top hat is definitely moving up & down right now. I was looking at Enterprise & thought it was just the camera but then went to Skandi & it is moving.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
This is awful.......

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GATruthseeker

I concur, the top thingy w/ the white triangular "fin" is moving up and down. It's easier to see when looking directly at the right fin on camera 7, you can see the white light strip getting larger and smaller. The movements are also mimicked in the other streams. It's spooking me, to be honest.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Is anyone watching right now? I hope I am wrong but it is not looking good. The whole thing looks like it is swaying back & forth & the top hat is still moving around a lot.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE
This is awful.......

What a thing to witness ... I'm not easily moved to tears but by the end of the video I had a problem seeing the screen through blurry eyes.

I don't think I'm being overly dramatic when I say that those scenes (burning oil / floundering dolphins etc) is how I imagine the end of the world to look ... devastating but required viewing IMHO

Woody

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

i appreciate the moving footage, and understand your feelings. but please understand this thread was made with the purpose of Discussing the ROV live feeds.

respectfully yours

~meathead

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
hey, im wondering what we are seeing on the cnn live feed.
ive been looking at that feed for some time now, went to bed and now the whole screen is filled with stuff gushing out.

what happened in the few hours that i was not looking?
www.cnn.com...

has it become worse, or could it be part of somthing they are doing there?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
i cant view them myself that is why i keep checking in here..

~meathead

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Afternoon all.

I have a question regarding one of the live feeds.

Discoverer Enterprise - ROV 2

Link: www.searchlawrence.com...

I have tried to take a screen shot, but its not working to well!

I have a question regarding the above feed, What is happening, as it looks very bad! I was watching last night and it was bad and now it looks much more worst!!

Thank you

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by telfyr

Not too much has changed with the flow as far as I can tell. It is still gushing out with amazing force. I can't access the CNN feed but Enterprise 2 has an angle that is looking down into it so I'm guessing that is what you are seeing. It has looked like that since early yesterday or maybe even before that.

What is bothering me is that the top hat is very noticeably tilting back & forth & the whole thing seems to be swaying a little bit. On Enterprise 1, it really looks like it is moving but I think that is just the rover, but even on Skandi which is fixed, you can tell it is moving.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join