It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Whats that drilling thing doing on the Ocean Intervention III ROV I ?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
There are too many people watching those video feeds tonight. The interesting ones keep breaking up.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

So I see oilgillz is free flowing today. I want to see them tip that BOP over when they try to put that big beasty new cap on top of that leaning tower of junkola.

Seriously, I want to see them fup this up. It's the only way they will learn.

The problem is, if they screw up, it hurts us all. And the guys doing the work are not the ones who need to learn. The execs are probably out sailing, they don't care.

Hoping for the BOP to fall over is like cutting off your nose to spite your face, on a huge ecological scale. So the oil execs (or whoever) will learn something?

This is far too serious a problem for that. I pray they at least get some control over it, quickly.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
What are they up to now?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9469ef36205d.jpg[/atsimg]

Yeah, take that top part off, that will make the oil and gases come out faster!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings
reply to post by Divinorumus

So I see oilgillz is free flowing today. I want to see them tip that BOP over when they try to put that big beasty new cap on top of that leaning tower of junkola.

Seriously, I want to see them fup this up. It's the only way they will learn.

The problem is, if they screw up, it hurts us all. And the guys doing the work are not the ones who need to learn. The execs are probably out sailing, they don't care.

Hoping for the BOP to fall over is like cutting off your nose to spite your face, on a huge ecological scale. So the oil execs (or whoever) will learn something?

This is far too serious a problem for that. I pray they at least get some control over it, quickly.

I honestly think he was implying humanity all together needs to "learn" the lesson that you can't just industrialize and suck HUGE quantities of substance from the earth that have been there for possibly millions of years and expect the wheels of mother nature to continue without an incoming B**** slap upon the perpetrators.

Sometimes if you don't get to experience and feel the full brunt of the consequences your doomed to repeat that mistake.

So no its not solely the oil execs fault as much as some here would love the problem to end with them it simply won't.

As long as people on earth live in a consumption based society that requires rigs like this to provide us with the "goodies", we will repeat mistakes like this regardless of the quality and character of oil execs. They enable us to use as much as we do. And we as a people by participation in this consumption based society give them the green light to do so.

There are options of life outside of the rat race grid lock but MOST don't want to go there including myself and that's because we haven't suffered a big enough loss or "negative reinforcement" to change our lifestyles.

The current society isn't by our design or necessarily by our choice but the participation in it IS our choice. Maybe oil infested oceans and destroyed marine life washing up on the shores is exactly what kind of serious wake up call the world needs.

As of right now if the leak was stopped things would go RIGHT back to normal and the continued devastation on the gulf would take a back seat to the "business as usual" routine.

So yes I kind of do hope they flub this up. Its a lesson we need to learn and learn in a HARD way.

just my 2c though.

edit: run-on sentence

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Sly1one]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I thought this was an interesting shot of the bop from a distance.
thank you Divinorumus

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cec62c1bda31.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The only good thing i see from this blowout is all the technical lessons they will learn from this.
Like the cap system to collect the oil.
controlling methane ice buildup.

This recovery device will likely be put in storage in case its ever needed again anyplace in the world.

BOPs will be redesigned to make them more effective, better shear rams and double shear rams and more repairable at depth. They will have new systems to allow the riser to be jettisoned in case of loss of the drilling rig.(The weight of the falling riser almost took out the BOP.)

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
What do you all really think that "Kill" sign is about? Just went and looked at all the feeds. Could be my imagination but I feel they have changed the camera views a lot - not showing but one of the gusher and it is at a distance with bright lights to lessen the clarity. All other feeds are showing new stuff they have down there, equipment, rovs, etc. What do you think?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

You need to watch this video if you think there learning anything.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I read somewhere there are about 3,500 of these oil rig holes out in the ocean. I hope we are learning something from this disaster.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Ocean Intervention III ROV 2...

Why are they POLISHING THE BOP?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by biblenet

Probably because they intend to do some welding on the joint.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by biblenet
Ocean Intervention III ROV 2...

Why are they POLISHING THE BOP?

My guess is they are going to pull those locating pins out, and need a nice flat surface so as the tool can attach properly..???

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Skandi ROV 1 just came back online....

Showing oil spilling.. but lightly!

We will see why they are polishing things up!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Is Skandi ROV 1 and Ocean Intervention III Rov 2 taking the same picture at two different angles... because the robot arm is not moving in sync.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Intervention III - ROV 2 that is rocking a bit too much for me.. whats happening down there now?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

Originally posted by davidmann
The ominous lettering may be nothing more than something to help the cameras see which piece of gear is which....

Lol, I don't know .. it looked like an obvious threat to me. I captured the video too.

They are probably demanding a hundred billion dollars .. no, make that a hundred trillion dollars .. in cash .. preferably small bills .. or they will release Oilzilla upon us all.

Unless its some sort of KILL-Switch.

second line

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
They are taking the bolts of the flange out so they have a better mating surface or can bolt a new flange on with a better sealing surface

I believe they plan to bolt a new flange on as once they remove the old one, they will still have a stub of the old drill pipe sticking out.

I believe if they do bolt a new flange on it will have a 4 foot plus pipe welded on it that the new containment unit will fit over. Plus a set of mating latches???

It may also have a sealing surface that a rubber seal can fit tight against instead on the old jagged stub they are removing.

This would seal out water limiting methane ice from forming. There needs to be water for methane ice to form. remove the water and you have little or no ice.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
forgive me here, but if the ice is no longer forming, where is the gas going to go?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I sure hope the green stuff isn't anti-freeze unless it is some non-toxic variety, because regular ethylene glycol anti-freeze is extremely toxic.

Hopefully, it's just Fluorescein dye that is routinely used to measure current movements in rivers and oceans - it does have that glowing green appearance (there is a red type too that I used once). I have used them several times on the job or doing research (environmental monitoring, not oil industry). Here's a link that gives a bit more info, but keep in mind I cannot really say what these BP folks are doing.
www.rickly.com...

Could the "KILL" label maybe refer to their attempt to kill the well? I believe that is standard jargon for shutting off a gusher if I recall correctly (as an observer, not an oil guy).

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join