It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

That is what I think is happening.. but I not positive.. it is just a guess.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
aye well spotted morpheus.

I had been wondering how they were gonny locate it so accurately, then read the other day that they were drilling a wee bit, pulling the back drill up and out, putting a magnet down ( to locate the metal pipe ), drilling a wee bit more, pulling it back up, sending the magnet back down...lol. This new way is actually pretty well thought of.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Off all the information as to "what they are doing today" that has been posted:

- are these claims posted as facts?
- are these claims simply speculations based upon observation?
- are the posters making these claims knowledgeable in the pertinent field of this undertaking?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

double
post.. sorry

[edit on 7/2/2010 by Morpheas]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
educated guesses are the best weve got at this stage since theres no official step by step update that im aware of

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostpigeon

LOL..

No I"m not..

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
So does anyone have any info on how close the relief line actually is to the main bore? I know that they were within a reasonably close proximity yesterday, but had to still go down another 5-900 feet, or that's what I read. Watching this stuff is kind of gripping, especially when jumping off to videos of the destruction on the surface. Crash course on scoping the nature and impact of all this. Reminds me of being down from work from the flu when the Watergate hearings were on back in the day and seeing (wow, forget his name) that guy say something about "tapes" and the whole senate committee going "tapes?!?!!). History in the making.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

If you read page 22 onwards, you will be able to answer these questions.

Or, what exactly are you getting at?

Collectively, we are doing a fab job.

[edit on 2/7/2010 by Thistled]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It looks like they are using hydraulics to hold them in place.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
knew i would regret settin up this peice of #e computer and moving the good one, the feeds are barely watchable and browser keeps crashing.

Gonna be mostly relying on you guys for updates ( and aye, i agree you've all done a brilliant job so far, 10 out of 10 )

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by niblo

The multi-screen on that site uses java, and it will eat your system resources, best to choose a camera then open the feed, and then close yer browser. Should see things speed up then, but bare in mind, everyone and their dog in the states will be "tuning in" so to speak.That will also slow the feeds down.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by niblo

Are you trying to watch via the all on one page site? If you have a slow computer/connection maybe just try one feed at a time. The most active one right now is the Ocean Intervention III - ROV2:
www.bp.com...

All the others via BP site (one at a time):
www.bp.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

LOL.. I guess we were typing basically the same thing at the same time.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
agreed on that. My laptop isn't bad at keeping up but the BP site you can bring up live feeds one at a time and its more stable that way. If you don't like going straight to the horses' a%%, you can find other sites that list the ROV s and bring them up one by one on demand.

I apologize to Thistled, Morpheas, et all for any dumb questions I could have answered myself by reading back. I have read from 22 on now and so can lean on those posts for most questions. Like I said the last month or two has been a crash course in the offshore oil industry, so my knowledge, while growing, is limited and a lot of what I've followed has been on the political side.

Did get an interesting article just a short time ago for a precedent for Macando. i'll post here for anyone's interest, though its not right on track for the discussion here. Much time goes by without a a whole lot (comprehensible) happening (at least for me) though. So, for others in the same boat - or rig - little bites on the side might help with the main course.

www.nola.com...

back soon.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
cheers, thats much better. Got intervention 2 clear as day noo.

Still waitin on an unidentified ROV wi Greenpeace spray painted on the side and a circular saw glued to the top after watchin an episode of Robot Wars lol

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostpigeon

No question is a dumb question.. IMO. Thanks for that article.. good read!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
Off all the information as to "what they are doing today" that has been posted:

- are these claims posted as facts?
- are these claims simply speculations based upon observation?
- are the posters making these claims knowledgeable in the pertinent field of this undertaking?

Speaking not only for today, but throughout this process:
-- what is known to be fact is posted as fact and where possible backed up with references or links
-- speculations often contain phrases like "I think" or "it looks like" or "maybe" or "perhaps" and therefore it's obvious what they are
-- very few people are "knowledgeable" in this field but that does not mean we are entirely without knowledge. We are doing what we can to share facts, opinions and observations, in the spirit of the ATS motto.

Please notice the title of the thread includes the word "Discussion". This thread is not nor does it claim to be an expert and detailed analysis of everything that is going on, neither does it require that members who post have such expertise or the ability to make detailed and complex analyses.

As with all ATS threads, its primary requirements are that members who contribute try to remain focused on the topic, and that they do so with respect and decorum and allow others to have their say, even though perspectives may differ and often will.

And with that, as it's almost 1 am, I must get some shut eye.

Good night all,

Mike

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Morpheas

Can't help it, I just gotta help folks.

Those MCP's and Gentoo installs sure taught me a lot.

They can't be hydraulics if the BP site says the electrodes have something to do with the relief drill.
But......
If they aint electrodes, I bet they are actuators which will hold the main outflow pipe in place.

I think we will know for sure in the next 24hrs.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I thought I saw both a hydraulic hose and another wire.. hard to tell.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Thanks Thistled. I'm sure i'll eventually test you on that no question is a dumb question thing. I know I say that to all my classes, but sometimes - in my head only - I'm thinking god that's a stupid question! Anyway, glad you enjoyed the article. For others newly online, I ran across this in the international electrical engineers site on what the blowout preventer looked like and you can get the scale of how big the damn thing is .. . uh was ....

spectrum.ieee.org...

Addressing what's the expertise question for my own part, I did so a page or two ago in part, but I should add I was a cupositor for two years at circuit board plant. I plated the copper into the copper holes in circuit boards to give conductivity from one side of the board to the other. Sounds technical but it's probably best analogized as put the glaze inside a glazed donut hole and about as skilled a kind of work as that as well. A lot more toxic exposure though, but if Californina education continues to be de-funded, it may qualify me for a third career at Krispy Kreme. Hopefully one of the perks there would be take homes. I should also add I did my dissertation at Stanford on the offshoring of production labor in the tech industry, so a lot of knowledge came in sideways on that on economics and high tech production that I didn't get in the blue collar days. We were all pretty stoned 24-7 on the circuit board line anyway, so I'm sure I have some memory warpage there.

I did have the distinction of plating the first boards for the digital watch, BTW. What a piece of crap those were!

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join