It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
I know the seas are a little rough

But just how rough is the ocean a mile below the surface?

Partially 'never mind' that question, considering that everything a mile down is attached to the surface.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by Misfit]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The top hat definitely looks like it is going to fly off. I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Woah, it looks a lot different than when I last saw it yesterday. It appears to be gushing out a bit heavier and the top hat is moving all over the place.

Breaking news:

Hurricane Alex sending oil to Gulf coast beaches

www.marketwatch.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Jeebuz crimony, that top hat is shaking around harder than a dash-board bobble head in a low-rider on Cinco de Mayo !!!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I agree the top hat is bobbing up and down quite fierce now, indicative of very choppy seas. (Considering it's connected directly to Enterprise)

As a result, one of the bent fins of the hat is banging off the connection to either the choke or kill line. Not good. Check out Enterprise ROV 1 now.
I thought this line was to feed another manifold for the Helix?

The BOP is being bashed around by the hat now, they are gonna have to call time whilst the seas are strong or the worst WILL happen.

If they could just twist the hat slightly (yep, that is a job in its own right) it might do a better job.

The BOP won't take much more of a beating like this. That's plain to see.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It looks quite nasty down there right now, it looks like Enterprise ROV 2 is covered in oil and the poor cap is hanging on by a thread.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The fin of the top hat is hitting off a top section of the BOP. Which seems to wiggle a great deal now and again. It's rectangular in shape, points towards the ground, and has a circular rubber thing at the bottom.

It now looks as though a crack is appearing in the casing of the BOP because of this.

Skandi ROV 2 now.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I just fired up the link to watch the ROV cams for a bit and was looking at Enterprise ROV 2, which was kind of hard to tell where it was and what was going on. It kind of looked to me like it was floating on the top of the water, and it looked like waves were coming at it, and then suddenly it appeared to wash over an on it's side. Was that thing trying to surf the incoming waves? It even kind of looked like a big blob of oil hit it. I could be wrong, the video was poor, but if I had to guess, that's what looked like was going on. I guess I've missed some action. Now it looks like they pulled it up on the ship. Them waves were getting bigger out there. Seriously, it really did look like a wave of oil hit that ROV and tumbled it onto it's side before they took it onto the ship.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
2:46PST The whole unit is really shaking now it is obvious the BOP and tophat are in motion. Watch the dispersant boom in relation to the BOP and Tophat and it is clear the whole system is moving. One really has to wonder how much longer it can last with so much movement. I can take some comfort in knowing it WILL be monitored on ATS and I am not dependent upon the MSM to find these things out
N.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml

Yeah, it's bopping around because of the waves on the surface. That riser is still connected directly overhead, so when things above go up and down over the waves, the top hat will move around a lot.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
There can be a slight problem with that tophat. As we all can see or have seen that tophat is not connected to the BOP very well. I am wondering how much of that pipe is still there at the top of the BOP, because if you remember when they had the tophat off the the pipe that it was hooked to was not in the best of shape. Then you have to ask how much more damage has happened with the tophat sitting at such an angle and adding more pressure to that pipe. Now with all of this banging around cannot be good for that pipe. This is gonna be real interesting to watch for the next day or so. You hope they know what they are doing, but with the track record of BP and all involved is not one that puts me at ease.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I can't believe its still on.

It looks like its gonna come off any second!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Whats the white stuff coming out? I haven't seen this before you can see it both on Enterprise - ROV 1 and Skandi - ROV 2

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bjorn

I hesitate to reply, as a dozen will likely follow (lol), but you're probably referring to the dispersant they are spraying into the oil. It's POISON (as if the oil and natural gases weren't bad enough).

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

You are probably right, because with the clean up on hold they are trying to keep as much oil from the surface as possible. That is my guess and it looks like they are pumping a hell of alot of it. I won't say that is for sure but there is not much else they can do with the cleanup stopped.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I recorded some video of the thing dancing around and sped it up.

Quality wasn't that great, probably many folks watching it (incoming frame rate was pretty slow).

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
OMG a lot more going on down there than just a few hours ago. If the waves from Alex are causing the problem we have a while to go before this is over - I am hoping things can stay in place.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I have absolutely zero knowledge on how the tophat is secured. It makes sense that it would have SOME flexablity, but was that even an option considering what they have to work with?

This thing is making my stomach drop every time it takes a hard lean!
There's got to be some serious puckering going on topside of this thing!

Can anyone reassure me on how well its secured?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tunatarian
Can anyone reassure me on how well its secured?

Lets see .. the BOP is connected to a busted up well down bellow, the BOP has a bend at its base making it tilt (and probably a little more with each passing week), and now the top hat is trying to pile drive the whole works into the ground. Yup, I'd say everything is still pretty secured for the time being .. until a sinkhole eventually opens up down below and blasts everything into orbit with an onslaught of oil and gas.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

I was watching this thing around 2pm and let me tell you this thing was moving around all over the place. It looks like it has settled down a little.Although it seems to have a bigger flow coming out around the tophat. I wonder what their plans are if this tophat and riser decide to part ways and they ca't get it back together. Now thats something I really don't like to think about. All I can say is that something is gonna go wrong I have that gut feeling about that. I really hope it doesn't go the wrong way and they make it through without a hitch,but this situation is not looking good.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join