It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Excellent idea! S & F

A friend directed me to a really good site, Earthjustice.org The article below is from there.

28 June 2010, 3:47 PM
John McManus
BP's Oil Spills Into Court of Appeals
Earthjustice asks court to reinstate moratorium on offshore drilling

While oil continues to pour into the Gulf of Mexico from BP's blown-out well, a six-month offshore drilling moratorium imposed by the Obama administration is being argued in the courts.

Last week, oil industry groups got a New Orleans judge to issue an order blocking the moratorium. The administration is appealing that decision—assisted by the intervention of Earthjustice—at the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Earthjustice and a number of conservation groups, had unsuccessfully argued alongside the Obama administration that the moratorium was appropriate in order to identify and fix problems that created the current oil spill.

Now, the state of Louisiana has jumped into the action at the appeals court to oppose the moratorium, never mind many of their finest wetlands are covered in oil and their fishermen and visitor industry workers are left high and dry.

The appeals court isn't scheduled to hear the case for weeks so the administration and conservation groups are seeking an emergency stay of the lower court's ruling to get the moratorium back in place now. They are also arguing that with all the ships and other resources hard at work trying to stop and clean up the leak, if another well were to blow anytime soon, the country wouldn't have the resources needed to address the problem.

The moratorium only blocks 33 new exploratory drilling plans, leaving thousands of other offshore oil wells to continue pumping oil.

unearthed.earthjustice.org...

the cartoon below is from this site: theweek.com... by Taylor Jones.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Is it my imagination or is there a difference in the texture of the outflow shown in the Skandi ROV 2 view?

Sort of..hmmm...slicker, maybe?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Anyone watching? I am starting to wonder if the top hat is doing more harm than good at this point. Skandi neptune (usually says skandi 2), in the front center, where the "fin" from the top hat is hitting the pipe, there is a groove forming where it keeps hitting it; the fin looks bent as well. I wouldn't imagine that is good for the integrity of the well. Also the top hat is more and more tilted and looking like it is gonna go; the rov attached to it keeps moving with it, not so sure how much good it's doing either.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ganja

I don't think it is digging a groove. I've been looking at it for awhile & it doesn't seem to be going all the way over - to the left. I agree though that the fin definitely looks bent. Maybe the groove is just a scratch from whenever the fin got bent. The whole thing is moving around though - that is for sure.

I heard a little while ago on C2C that they are capturing 50% of what is leaking. I just don't think that is happening.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Here are some questions i have. I posted some questions in the "Top Hat blown off" thread and someone, not saying any names (Trolleleet), Doh!, got his panties in a bunch.

What does BOP mean?

Is Skandi ROV 2 and Discoverer Enterprise ROV 2 looking at the same well but different parts?

What is the Yellow thing sticking out of Discoverer Enterprise ROV 2. It looks like it has holes along the side and air or gas is coming out. It's slowly swaying to the left and right.

Thanks to anyone who can answer some of my questions without giving me an attitude. This thread isn't moving a mile a minute so its not like i'm interupting the flow.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BluePillOrRedPill
Here are some questions i have. I posted some questions in the "Top Hat blown off" thread and someone, not saying any names (Trolleleet), Doh!, got his panties in a bunch.

What does BOP mean?

Is Skandi ROV 2 and Discoverer Enterprise ROV 2 looking at the same well but different parts?

What is the Yellow thing sticking out of Discoverer Enterprise ROV 2. It looks like it has holes along the side and air or gas is coming out. It's slowly swaying to the left and right.

Thanks to anyone who can answer some of my questions without giving me an attitude. This thread isn't moving a mile a minute so its not like i'm interupting the flow.

BOP) A blowout preventer is a large valve or series of valves that can seal off an oil or natural gas well being drilled or worked on.

If underground pressure forces oil or gas into the wellbore, operators can close the valve remotely (usually via hydraulic actuators) to forestall a blowout, and regain control of the wellbore.

ROV) They are both looking at the same well. The enterprise is more stationary then the Skandi imo.

Yellow thing) They have serveral types of sticks and O rings which are used to pump disperant in the oil. You can frequently see them switch hands, being picked up from the seafloor etc.

And sorry for my attitude, won't bother you again but... yea whatever.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by trolleleet]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Thanks trolleleet for the info, why we had to lose all our ATS points over that argument, for you to then nicely help answer some questions i had in the first place, is beyond me. Lesson learned anyway. All the camera feeds are still black with the exception of Boa. Did anyone esle see the glowing red spots on discoverer enterprise rov 2 @ 9:14 EST. it showed it when the camera panned to the right and down. They lost the feed about one minute later, and has been off since.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I didn't catch it sorry.

Sometimes the feeds go black/off on itself and you might need to reload the stream/ROV. I'm currently watching both enterprises atleast.

12 view stream.

I'm using that link, fits on my screen and clickable ROV links.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by trolleleet]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

i do not want to derail this threat, i think information is part of it.

some information video`s explaning what is going on down there.
what equipment they use and how it works.

LMRP Top Hat Oil Containment Dome to Cap Gulf Oil Spil

This animation illustrates the use of the LMRP (Lower Marine Riser Package) Cap/Top Hat Containment Dome to stop the flow of oil from the top of the BOP (blowout preventer) at the ocean floor. It notes the previous position of both major leaks and shows the use of giant "super" shears to cut the damaged riser. The first cut occurs on the riser near the ocean floor adjacent to the BOP. The second cut occurs on the riser at the top of the BOP. This second cut was initially attempted with a more precise diamond cutter device, but the equipment became stuck and had to be extracted. As a result, the super shears were also used for the second cut. The jagged edges of the cut pipe were smoothed and the new LMRP top hat containment dome was lowered onto the BOP. Though it is not shown, all underwater work described here was performed by underwater ROV vehicles according to BP.

NOTE: This animation is not to scale.

Source: bp.com
www.youtube.com...

US oil spill explained

Al Jazeera looks at what engineers are facing in trying to stem the flow of oil.
www.youtube.com...

Video of LMRP Cap Installation Process

As work continues to install the LMRP Cap, this video animation illustrates how it will be connected to the drillship riser, prepped, maneuvered into position and installed on top of the BOP stack.

BP has created this YouTube channel to engage the public in an informative conversation and dialogue about our efforts associated with the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. We want our page to be an appropriate forum for everyone. For more information on our Commenting Policy,
www.youtube.com...

Successful Installation of the LMRP Cap
this video shows how the cap works and before placement on top of the blow out on the BOP.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 30-6-2010 by telfyr]

[edit on 30-6-2010 by telfyr]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Apologies if I missed the info, but what the heck's going on with E 2 right now? Streaming out white 'smoke/gas' and whole thing kind of all over the place. Lost image just as I typed this...

[edit on 30-6-2010 by 5senses]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

Nothing on the feeds at the moment.
It seems all feeds are OFFLINE.
Network problem or something else??

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I thought they halted clean up AND containment efforts because of the swells from the hurricane? Did I understand wrong?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

Not to sure what we are seeing there but it is different that is for sure. I wonder if they are trying to put more dispersant or something else to try and break it up since the cleanup is on hold. Don't know but will surely keep an eye out on that cam to see any changes.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

From what the Coast Guard said yes they have been put on hold but I don't know if it was just the skimmers and smaller crafts or if it was for all crafts. I only caught the last part of the coast guard talking about it.Will have to see if I can find the whole thing online.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This is from an article in the New York Times about the storm and the cleanup.

"High waves at the well site delayed surface work to prepare for the next phase of BP’s system to collect oil at the wellhead", said Toby Odone, a company spokesman. "That phase, in which up to 25,000 barrels of oil a day would be collected through a free-standing riser pipe that could be quickly disconnected if a hurricane threatened, is now expected to be completed in early July."

But BP said existing systems that are collecting about 25,000 barrels a day were not affected by the rough seas, nor were efforts to drill two relief wells that are considered the ultimate solution to plugging the well.

I guess they are going towatch the weather and then decide when the best time to resume is.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by tsurfer2000h]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Wondering when it started, this new well activity as seen on E2. I started a thread about the 6.5 earthquake earlier today. Not great but just curious...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
I wonder if they are trying to put more dispersant or something else to try and break it up since the cleanup is on hold.

I have a different thought on that .......... what we can't see, we can't be aware of. The more dispersant BP issues. the less oil we see, the less flack and cost BP encounters.

I mean think about it, they are using the stuff in spite of it being a zero-usage product in all their own waters, as well as other waters; using it in spite of the US saying they should not be (which is a whole other story, why the US refuses to take a more solid stand on ANY of this).

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

You are spot on with that about the dispersant. I still can't understand the reason why the EPA and this admin. allow them to use it and pretty much say FU we will do what we want and we don't care what you say about it.I understand the use of a dispersant what I do not understand is why the US gov't let them use this stuff even after it has been banned in other countries and they know what this dipersant does yet it is just fine if BP says it is safe. It's really sad what this gov't is doing o our environment.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
it is just fine if BP says it is safe. It's really sad what this gov't is doing o our environment.

This is corporate America.
This is corporate government.
There is no people, just numbers.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I am watching the Skandi ROV camera and I have noticed the tophat has alot of movement with it. I know the seas are a little rough but the ROV's should also have some movement as well. It is something to keep an eye on.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join