It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 dead in yet another drug rehab massacre

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
www.google.com...

An official says nine people were killed when gunmen opened fire in a drug rehabilitation center in the Mexican state of Durango.

State Deputy Attorney General Ramiro Ortiz says among the dead is the center's owner, who appeared to be the main target. Nine others were injured in Saturday's attack in the city of Gomez Palacio.

Ortiz said the nine bodies were found in different parts of the center, including the patio, gymnasium and dorms. The center had 49 patients.

Two weeks ago, gunmen killed 19 people in a drug rehab center in Chihuahua city.

Dozens have died in mass shootings at Mexican rehab clinics in recent years. Police say cartels are exploiting the centers to recruit hitmen and smugglers, threatening to kill those who don't cooperate.

i dont think americans (who arent on the southern border) understand the severity with which mexico's drug war is being fought.

stopthedrugwar.org...

Thursday, June 17

Just across the border from Rio Grande, Texas, eight gunmen were killed after opening fire on an army patrol near an artificial lake bed. Three soldiers were killed in the incident. In an unrelated incident, another suspected cartel gunman was shot dead by the army in Reynosa, Tamaulipas.

Saturday, June 19
In Chihuahua, gunmen killed the mayor of a small town near Ciudad Juarez. Manuel Lara, 48, the mayor of Guadalupe Distrito Bravo, was killed by unidentified gunmen at his home. The area around Ciudad Juarez has been increasingly dragged into the bloody turf war between the Sinaloa and Juarez Cartels for control of the Chihuahua drug trafficking corridor.

Sunday, June 20

In Ciudad Juarez, 12 people were killed in various armed incidents throughout the city. Over 1,300 murders have occurred in Ciudad Juarez in 2010, including some 200 in June. Ciudad Juarez has some 1.5 million residents. For comparison's sake, in New York City (with a population of some 8.5 million), 471 people were murdered in 2009. Over 2,500 were killed during the same time period in Ciudad Juarez.

Monday, June 21

In Durango, ten men were killed in various incidents. Among the dead were six charred bodies that were found near the municipality of Santiago Papasquiaro. In Gomez Palacio, two men, including the son of a high-ranking local official, were shot dead by gunmen. In the city of Chihuahua, two men were shot dead after a group of six was shot at. In Veracruz, the decapitated bodies of two provincial officials were discovered.

Tuesday, June 22

According to the Fund for Peace/Foreign Policy Magazine, Mexico has risen two places in the index of failed states. Mexico is now #96 out of 177 countries which make up the list. In 2009, Mexico was #98. The lower the number, the more dysfunctional the country.

In Nogales, Arizona, police say they have received credible intelligence that members of an unspecified cartel may attempt to harm officers. According to the Nogales PD, the threat comes after a 400-pound marijuana bust was made by two officers on horseback.

Thursday, June 24

In the municipality of Guadalupe, near Monterrey, three gunmen were killed and 18 were captured during a clash with the army. Additionally, three vehicles and 1,200 kilos of marijuana were seized.

In Durango, eight "narco-camps" were raided and seized by elements of the army. Additionally, in Sonora, a state police investigator and another person were killed after being ambushed in a mountain town.

In Ciudad Juarez, seven people were killed, including three members of CIPOL, the police intelligence service. Another policeman was found dead and rolled up in a rug in Guasave, Sinaloa, a known stronghold for drug traffickers.

Total Body Count for the Week: 241
Total Body Count for the Year: 5,451

every week that site updates the weeks events.. in case you wih to continue to follow the conflict in mexico.

other than the 9 dead, 9 wounded in the rehab center, 11 gunmen were killed in 3 clashes in various places in mexico and mexican authorties caught a high ranking drug lord in mexicali just south of san diego...

let there be no doubt, mexico's drug war is just as severe as afghanistan or iraq and eveb more dangerous to our national security.. unfortunately for us, obama wants to keep the borders wide open..

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
How much blood will spill as a result of prohibition? I dont see an end any time soon. There will just be more articles like this daily and nothing will be done, the war on drugs will never be "won".

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
How much blood will spill as a result of prohibition? I dont see an end any time soon. There will just be more articles like this daily and nothing will be done, the war on drugs will never be "won".

What are you talking about?

Drugs are (in low low quantities) legal in Mexico.

This is cartel violence.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The cartels seem much more a controlling factor than just a simple drug operation. It looks as if the cartels are trying to function as government themselves.Of course complete legalization would inhibit the drug violence, but outside of that it seems to be a violent opposition or takeover attempt.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Originally posted by CREAM

What are you talking about?

Drugs are (in low low quantities) legal in Mexico.

This is cartel violence.

What is really needed is the decriminalization of drugs in the US. Mexico, Columbia and Brazil IIRC have made it legal to carry small amounts (personal use) of drugs but the real money and source of power of the cartels is the US market.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

i agree that the american market is the problem.. i believe we consume more drugs than any other nation? i know afghanistan has more per capita tho.. and thats all domestic home grown consumption, the us is involved in that too... as far as i know the taliban had eradicated most of it until the us got there... now its boomin again.. and im aware of the whole cia/drug trade/money/dumb ur people down conspiracy too and i know it haslegs and facts to back it. i mean c'mon, when ur president refuses to seal ur southern border and wants to give amnesty to 10-30 million drug smugglers (according to az gov) then something has got to be up right? there is def a conspiracy here..

new topics

top topics

join